Microsoft Addresses Xbox One Concerns

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
TallanKhan said:
Don't force me to abandon console gaming and go back to the real world, I won't survive out there...
Or... You could try out PC Gaming. Which has a few neat things for cheap, which although admittedly not always with the best stories, have a wide variety of game types, some of which the console would struggle with.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
By "addresses" they mean reconfirm exactly what was originally stated, and their steadfast adamance to defend this economic declaration of war against all consumers, gamer or not alike will not be abated by the collective call to reason of consumers warning such action willnot and cannot be tolerated

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
TheColdHeart said:
I've always wondered, with this voice activation thing which controls when it turns on. Does this mean it's constantly listening to whats going on in my room? As how else would it 'hear' the command "Xbox On" or whatever to power up.

I'm not exactly cool with an item with constant internet connection, a potentially constantly active microphone and a very high res camera sitting in my bedroom...
while it can hear you it isnt recording and saving anything it hears. not to mention it can be completely siwtched off

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
"The rumors are true: you must connect once a day in order to play your games."
So this means that, lets say in twenty years, once the machine is discontinued, all games I own wont work anymore. Yet I can still use an Atari 2600.
Basically the xbone will die once microsoft decides so.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
So, I've been thinking about it and...I think I know what happened. You see, Microsoft had the misfortune of consulting Craig Toomey... [https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=abdLV8fgjlc#t=115s]

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
I have no issue with the privacy concerns. Frankly, I think they're a bit silly. What gets me, is that they have the gall to say that the games I buy are not my own, and that they can take them any whenever they feel like.

JSF01

Jan 19, 2011
I am hoping that the Xbone fails so hard that stores can't even sell out on launch day. I want to see stores like GameStop not selling any game that does not allow used sales new. It may sound bad But I am hoping that this leads to a new video game market crash, because maybe than these businesses will change to a more consumer friendly with a less entitlement attitude.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
To be honest this is a relief I mean now I don't even have to pretend to be impartial this is a giant piece of shit and I'm just glad they've finally confirmed all the things I was hoping against hope weren't true. Now I can focus on any other gaming platform without the slightest chance of Microsoft actually making something I would remotely want.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I have to admit I don't care for any of this. I think the change in terminology from "buying" to "licensing" pretty much sets the stage for the rest of the announcements since they are trying to push the issue that you don't actually own anything you pay for in their very terminology now, and once you accept that your pretty much agreeing to flush your rights down the toilet.

I do not like the idea of having to keep my XBoxone online and do daily "check ins" to use it, unless Microsoft is giving out free internet to anyone who has their system, the allegation that everyone has easy access to the internet is false. Especially in the current economy that's one of the first things a lot of people are deciding to go without, and you know... some people might want to invest in a gamebox they can use with just a TV and electricity in case the worst happens and they want to play games but need to make the choice to go without internet service. I suppose one could argue that they plan to make this a toy for the fairly privileged, with increasing steps as time goes on, basically saying "all users will have Broadband" which pretty much shuts out everyone on the bad end of the digital divide is
one of the first steps in that direction. A poor person won't even be able to really to get one used, since they would also have to spring for a monthly connection.... this is likely to have no real effect on me of course, but I don't like the idea of it.

The really disturbing thing here though is in response to the whole "will my Xbox be spying on me" thing. The answer is pretty much "yes". The basic point here is that you have to trust in Microsoft's honesty that they won't gather or do anything with the information being gathered, that the machine is indeed not recording when you say it's off. Pretty much the entire thing amounts to "trust us" and well... that's a touchy issue nowadays. Especially seeing as the new Xbox is supposed to be kept "on" in a passive power saving mode where it will constantly be in touch with the internet anyway to keep itself updated. Looking at all the back doors in windows, the playstation, and other things, even if one was to trust Microsoft itself (which they haven't exactly earned) one can't trust their engineering to ensure that nobody will find ways of hacking into it anyway and spying on people or gathering data that way.

In regards to this latter point my basic attitude is WTF does a game console need to have this kind of surveillance technology attached to it? The idea is a system for people to play games on, if you want to do Facebook, you have facebook on a PC, and let's be honest... people get into enough trouble with that as it is, even without a whole spy system cranked up in their face. I suppose you can always turn it off/unplug it when your not using it, but they seem
to have designed it to make that inconvenient to say the least.

At any rate I eagerly await the announcement that the name of the Microsoft CEO's position has officially been changed to "Big Brother". :)

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
They are doing this because they think that most people can live with this. They think that most customers can connect once a day, fairly regularly. Will this alienate people who can't? Yes - but as far as Microsoft are concerned, those people make up a minority of their audience and they're going to sacrifice that portion of their audience.

As much anger as there is over these restrictions, Microsoft is betting that come 4 months from now, most people who have a 360 are going to buy the Xbox One, if it is cheap enough. These restrictions are arbitrary and artificial and are annoying. They think that they are also not going to be a big deal for most of their customers. A lot of the people who are complaining about this, find themselves having to construct rare scenarios in which this is a huge problem for them (what if I'm on the plane? What if I take my Xbox One on a Trip? - Hm. Do you really do that often? How many times have you taken your Xbox one on a trip? For most people, the answer is that they've never done that and they never will)

Yes, internet outages and blackouts occur. They don't occur often enough for most of Microsoft's customers for them to be concerned about this.

This is all a numbers game for microsoft - will they lose some customers because of the way they designed this console? Yes, absolutely. But they probably know, through market research, that most of their customers can and will put up with these restrictions, which is why they went ahead. If they genuinely thought they'd lose a significant portion of their customer base, they wouldn't have done this.

This is bad for Rural Gamers. This is bad for anyone who doesn't have the internet. This is bad for people who like to trade in games. Microsoft doesn't care. It estimates that the people who are most vociferously complaining are probably a minority that it can do without. Come November or December, we will see if their marketers are right. I hope they're wrong.... but I'm not going to bet any money that they are wrong.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Joe Byron said:
When I see statements like "you can use these things, but we only get to share your info if you let us" it makes me think of how every game/application/whatever on Facebook is prefaced by "Would you like to let us share your info? No? Then you can't play Sewage Treatment-ville".
Oh my fucking god, this, a thousand times this. Either that or it's going to be buried in the EULA (or whatever it's called) agreement which of COURSE noone's going to read, which is pretty much the same as what you said but far more sneaky. "Oh, you wanted a persistent, changing world, and you signed the agreement that lets you turn the thing on, so it's your own fault and stuff".

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
FieryTrainwreck said:
Is there any way MS doesn't become the clear target for Anonymous and every other hacker collective on the planet? I know that's where I'd be focusing my hacking efforts were I such a person. Trying to erode ownership concepts in favor of billion dollar corporations? Nah, let's just brick every Xbone in the world by repeatedly crashing MS servers.
Never thought I'd say this, but: go hackers go.
OP: Buying games has officially become "game licensing"? Fuck you.

meatshield

Mar 30, 2009
Yeah like everyone has internet, you know where i grew up, in the country there is still only the choice of dail up or dish network internet. and during the winter you can be out of dish for days at a time. So if its a bad snow storm, you cant pass the days with gaming... my whole family is on xbox. Now thats just one small town. now if you add up all the county or small towns that dont have fiber op or cable. that can be a staggering figure of sales that will never happen.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ZexionSephiroth said:
Well... Anyone want to write a Eulogy for Xbox? Or maybe something to put on its tombstone?
"She died before she lived."

The question has prompted me to ask myself; I wonder what the failure rate will be. X360's was, and is, pretty bad. Thermaltake do make some impressive self contained liquid cooling units. Maybe it's time to stop relying on fans and Bosch inspired heatsink designs.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
"Every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection"
This is one of those quotes. The ones that are so beyond belief I need to follow the links to be sure that's exactly what they said. And seeing as it is exactly what he says/writes...

Holy hell. What 24/7 techno-elitest utopia are these people living in?!? More to the point why do they imagine everyone else is living there too?

As others have said, this next console generation is Sony's for the taking.

MrWunderful

Filthy Console Peasant
May 27, 2013
Korolev said:
They are doing this because they think that most people can live with this. They think that most customers can connect once a day, fairly regularly. Will this alienate people who can't? Yes - but as far as Microsoft are concerned, those people make up a minority of their audience and they're going to sacrifice that portion of their audience.

As much anger as there is over these restrictions, Microsoft is betting that come 4 months from now, most people who have a 360 are going to buy the Xbox One, if it is cheap enough. These restrictions are arbitrary and artificial and are annoying. They think that they are also not going to be a big deal for most of their customers. A lot of the people who are complaining about this, find themselves having to construct rare scenarios in which this is a huge problem for them (what if I'm on the plane? What if I take my Xbox One on a Trip? - Hm. Do you really do that often? How many times have you taken your Xbox one on a trip? For most people, the answer is that they've never done that and they never will)

Yes, internet outages and blackouts occur. They don't occur often enough for most of Microsoft's customers for them to be concerned about this.

This is all a numbers game for microsoft - will they lose some customers because of the way they designed this console? Yes, absolutely. But they probably know, through market research, that most of their customers can and will put up with these restrictions, which is why they went ahead. If they genuinely thought they'd lose a significant portion of their customer base, they wouldn't have done this.

This is bad for Rural Gamers. This is bad for anyone who doesn't have the internet. This is bad for people who like to trade in games. Microsoft doesn't care. It estimates that the people who are most vociferously complaining are probably a minority that it can do without. Come November or December, we will see if their marketers are right. I hope they're wrong.... but I'm not going to bet any money that they are wrong.
This is the best way I've heard this whole situation described so far. Kudos.

Microsoft knows about the outrage on forums and what-not I'm sure. Do they care? No way. In light of how insane of a PR disaster this was, I can guarantee they have done their market research.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm having irritating lag right now. I live in Pittsburgh NEAR THE CITY and I'm having trouble with connection hiccups and lag. I'm in a place where shit like this shouldn't even happen, so even the 'secure' places of America aren't. Not after a good storm...

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I'm actually wishing for someone else to come along and put an alternative towards all this anti-consumer practices, and become successful. That would reflect upon how much business they've lost, even if Microsoft actually does do quite well. Doesn't have to be anything grand. Hell, I happily spend coin at gog.com on principle alone. Probably more than at Steam in fact. The dawn of the new generation would be perfect timing.

I mean, imagine if Sony follow suit? Then what're you all gonna do? Well I know a lot of the escapist will go to PC, but if anybody else who is console only, anti Wii, and refuse to build PC's, well that's the end of the line. Or people will just feel 'cornered' and end up buying one anyways and 'dealing with it'.

wolfyrik

Jun 18, 2012
chimpzy said:
The overdramatic pessimist in me believes the moves Microsoft made with the Xbone are actually pure genius.

No truly discerning customer will want the thing, leaving only the 'perfect' customers: gullible, indifferent people with large amounts of disposable income that will easily let themselves be exploited, nodding their heads at every word, fighting over whatever tablescraps they are given, without even so much as a stern word until it is too late.

Sigh, maybe all the doom and gloom is getting to me and I'm seeing conspiracies everywhere.
It's not paranoia when they really are out to get you.

Diablo 3
Aliens: CM
Day Z
Securerom
Origin

Just a few examples off the top of my head, which demonstrate that these bastards can't be trusted.