Microsoft Addresses Xbox One Concerns

Evil Raccoon

Ever vigilant
Oct 6, 2009
As much I was in the 360 camp when that was released. I am glad I got out at exactly the right moment and switched over to PC gaming. No offense Xboxone. But you're not my kind of girl anymore.

May 20, 2009
Well after Sony's convention last night at E3 I dont think it will be a problem. Two massive blows were dealt one being the used games being permitted by Sony and two that the price is $100 less than Xbox One. Once the price was announced the slaughter began. Microsoft if they ever want to compete again have to turn the PR around because if they let this run wild they will lose everything (just as quickly as they were losing to Apple last night). As well address in this sense is the same way that to address an open wound is to pour salt into it and set you on fire.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
...and strangely the PS4 is apparently the best seller right now on amazon.com/uk

Battle's over, it's all downhill here for Microsoft. Who knows, maybe next gen Sony will get cocky again and MS will have learned their lesson? Till then, back to the Sony camp for me!

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
I feel sorry for the people who pre-ordered Xbox Ones.

Although that's mainly because it won't feature the ability for you to say;

'Xbox; off, unplug, repackage yourself and return to Microsoft'

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
hentropy said:
The only reason why games were the way they were since the inception, you own the cartridge for ever and ever with no strings attached, was because there was no way to do it. Ubiquitous Internet is still a fairly new thing, even if most people had it through the last two console generations in the US, so such schemes were more or less impossible.

But they've been doing this with software for a very long time... anyone who's ever bough business software knows you're not paying for the plastic disc, that's silly, you're paying for the license, and you have to have some kind of activation scheme (in the 90s it was usually by phones, and businesses paid for bulk keys). Games on PCs have always come with some sort of key you had to enter. The difference is now that damn near everyone has Internet, so they can do this "phone home" thing to cut down on piracy... but there's bound to be serious problems with it, as there normally is whenever anyone does the "always on" or "phone home once a day" thing.

Ultimately though you are buying software, and games are just using the standards that other forms of software have always been using. So what's the moral of the story? Just buy a fraking PC. Or even a Mac, I hear those can play a few games now as well.
Yup. I went out and got an installation disc for Windows 7 so I could play my old PC games. It works great. I don't have sound though because I screwed up somehow during installation.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Server Outage of the License/DRM server will be awesome. I mean people we're unhappy about the 40 days orso after the hack that PSN was down. Yup it was kinda in the way I agree.. but at least off line games still worked.

But with this system.. even a 3 day license/drm server down will pretty much turn xbox one's into .. cable boxes. Not smart, not smart at all.

I see to many points of failure here. If it isn't with the consumers internet.. then it is with microsofts own server. We seen it happen before... with Diablo III, SimCity. When servers go bad it is a bad idea to make it impossible for people to enjoy a game.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
If anything, this shows me how Microsoft's corporate culture is turning absolutely rotten. They've turned into some sort of Protectionist corporate monster over the last few years, basically prioritizing inner competition over anything resembling some kind of stable output or market awareness. The two or three guys who came up with this DRM-athon probably won some sort of boardroom show-and-tell, and the company's own growing fear of its lack of relevance fostered an agreement.

What does any ruler do, once he starts to fear for his hold over the kingdom? He turns into a tyrant. What does the average civilian do once he starts to feel oppressed? He starts to look for a better ruler. Long story short, MS got cocky and figured the general public was ripe for a more corporate-friendly approach to consumerism. Big no, right there.

All of this being said knowing that Microsoft won't implode or anything. They have exclusives, and a lot of people will prefer to swallow that bitter pill and play their Haloes rather than sacrifice comfort or their go-to franchises to make a statement as consumers.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I really, really, really cannot grasp MS's tactic.

They require us to connect once every 24 hrs (so, I basically get punished from being away from home on vacation or on any other special occasion), they pretty much hold onto every game we buy even after we give them north of 50 euros per title (like that wasn't enough as a sign of trust, I give my hard earned money to your fat, greedy, ass instead of pirating the game on PC), they decide that one TV per house isn't enough so they make XONE to be more of a subscription service than a console and now this ???

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/gamers-without-internet-can-stick-with-xbox-360-says-microsoft

Wow. That's the biggest flip-off to gamers I have ever seen from the industry. Yeah, I got a comeback for you:

TWIRL ON IT !

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Hey kids, how do you spell marketable suicide? The answer XBOX ONE. I can't wait to see if Microsoft backpedals with this stupid always online bull shit, and the license a game, instead of owning it like every gamer has for the past 30+ years. If PS4 is willing to treat us "core gamers (Macho man voice, as I can't emphasize how stupid that label is enough)" like real people with intelligent functioning brains, then they get to have my business. I don't buy consoles to connect it with every other gadget or piece of technology known to man, I buy a fucking console to play fucking games. I hope this new console for them sinks like the giant turd the ideas behind it are. For now, make mine PS4!

PhoenixUp

Mar 9, 2010
On the topic of MS addressing system concerns, has everyone seen this yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yC8FbgGnd0

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
Explain to me why pc gaming, which is much easier to pirate and what not, is still cheaper and has less hoops to jump through?

Console has dedicated hardware, internet connectivity for patching, is a buttload harder to pirate yet microsoft still does this?

As for ps4; the vita had made me worried with it's gestapo like tactics (with forced software updating) but maybe they learned from their mistakes.

I said it once and I'll say it again; looks like microconsole is the way to go.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
PhoenixUp said:
On the topic of MS addressing system concerns, has everyone seen this yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yC8FbgGnd0
I've seen it. Didn't know that Don Mattrick was a stand-up comedian. Although he wasn't really funny, I felt more like crying.