Microsoft and Nvidia Quit PC Gaming Alliance - UPDATED

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
UPDATE: A Microsoft spokesperson says the company's decision to leave the PC Gaming Alliance is not an indictment of the group but rather a sign of the PC's strength as a gaming platform.

"At the time we joined the PC Gaming Alliance, the primary purpose was to change the false perception that PC gaming was dying. With that perception successfully changed, we have decided to not continue our membership and instead focus that energy on our own internal efforts, including the return of our flagship PC franchises Age of Empires and Microsoft Flight," the rep said. "We made this decision so that we could put more time and energy into our own PC gaming efforts. And we will continue to work with our partners to drive the continued growth of Windows as a game platform."
Hah! Microsoft has being touting their "more support for PC gaming" thing for a while but they have yet to put their money where their mouth is. Leaving the PCGA seems like a move in the opposite direction, regardless of what they think is going on.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
Does anyone of you know if the Microsoft spokesperson held that speech in front of a

"MISSION ACCOMPLISHED"

banner?

Jan 23, 2009
Apostacious said:
Sneaklemming said:
Oh yes Microsoft, the Giants of PC gaming, with the outstanding and award winning Games for Windows Live. It stands as a pillar of gaming standards; and without which the PC gaming world would surely die away.

Microsoft who with windows have built-in irreplaceable utilities for gamers into the OS.

Microsoft, the world-renowned publisher if the acclaimed Age of Empires II and Flight Sim X. Modern greats unsurpassed in technology and scope.

Yes, it is clear that Microsoft are the real heavy hitters in todays PC gaming environment...
do you forget that they are also publishers? ever heard of Microsoft game studios? DERP
Highlighted the bit you missed.

Apostacious

Apr 3, 2010
Sneaklemming said:
Apostacious said:
Sneaklemming said:
Oh yes Microsoft, the Giants of PC gaming, with the outstanding and award winning Games for Windows Live. It stands as a pillar of gaming standards; and without which the PC gaming world would surely die away.

Microsoft who with windows have built-in irreplaceable utilities for gamers into the OS.

Microsoft, the world-renowned publisher if the acclaimed Age of Empires II and Flight Sim X. Modern greats unsurpassed in technology and scope.

Yes, it is clear that Microsoft are the real heavy hitters in todays PC gaming environment...
do you forget that they are also publishers? ever heard of Microsoft game studios? DERP

Highlighted the bit you missed

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
The update response seems like bullshit to me, how would staying in the group drain poor Microsoft's resources or attention from making their games? They're just PRing. That being said I don't really care that they left, I didn't even know about PC Gaming Alliance until I read this story.

Apostacious

Apr 3, 2010
Mornelithe said:
Apostacious said:
yeah nothing at all, only created the operating system on which the games run, right? that's nothing! yeah F*ck them! OHHH WAAAAAA BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

seriously....
I can understand from your response that you're likely 4 or 5 years old
yeah a 4 year old that works in the game industry, how awesome is that? :)

maybe you don't really realize that Microsoft has done absolutely nothing for PC Gaming in quite a few years. They don't make operating systems so that users can play games. They make operating systems to make money.
ever heard of directx 11? yeah that thing even the xbox doesn't run yet.

Apostacious

Apr 3, 2010
Mornelithe said:
Apostacious said:
yeah a 4 year old that works in the game industry, how awesome is that? :)
Given the industry is going to shit, it makes perfect sense. Usually when children are in charge, things go awry.
I assume you can do better! give it a try.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Apostacious said:
Sneaklemming said:
Apostacious said:
Sneaklemming said:

Highlighted the bit you missed
AoE and Flight Sim X ARE all the PC exclusives MS Game Studios have released in the past 5 years!

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
[blockquote]"At the time we joined the PC Gaming Alliance, the primary purpose was to change the false perception that PC gaming was dying. With that perception successfully changed, we have decided to not continue our membership and instead focus that energy on our own internal efforts, including the return of our flagship PC franchises Age of Empires and Microsoft Flight," the rep said. "We made this decision so that we could put more time and energy into our own PC gaming efforts. And we will continue to work with our partners to drive the continued growth of Windows as a game platform."[/blockquote]

Hahahaha! More time and effort he says! By making Games for Windows Live an even bigger ***** for consumers and developers to use? This is proof that Microsoft can't stay out of its own way, because everything that they are doing to GFWL is eventually going to cause the death of PC gaming as we know it.

You want to put more time and effort into PC gaming? Alright! Start by putting Halo 3 and Reach, Gears of War 2 and Gears of War 3, Fable 2 and Fable 3, and Alan Wake on PC, and developing a much cleaner and less abominable version of GFWL that can rival Steam if you REALLY want to start putting more effort into PC gaming. And I'm not talking about shitty ports. Oh, wait, can't do that? Well, do I know a better place you can start! Throw GFWL in a bin, and HURL YOURSELVES OFF OF A FUCKING CLIFF.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Jumwa said:
veloper said:
Keeping Fable 3 away from the PC is a bit harsh to call 'sabotage', more like a mercy really considering what a dumbed down mess that game is.

Still M$ wants to have it both ways.
You know you can plug a 360 controller in a PC USB port? It's little things like these that are for more important than a few more ports. I don't care about fable3, but the controller is nice for games that aren't RTS or FPS.
They would prefer it if cross-platform gamers didn't go the usual PC+PS3/wii, but rather PC+360.
PC gaming isn't really dying anyway.
Your opinion on Fable 3 aside--I'm not going to get drawn into any debate on the merits of any game, personal taste is not really useful to this discussion, especially when a game that has all around positive reviews is dismissed entirely as worthless, that kind of hyperbole is not conducive to rational discussion--it's not the only case. There's Fable 2 & 3. Alan Wake was originally to be a PC game but Microsoft bought the makers out and had them turn it into a Xbox only game instead. They've shut down their PC games division, cutting off the flight sim games they used to make for instance. They've continually paid companies like Bethesda to NOT release content for PC, such as with the Dead Money DLC for New Vegas last year.

Compared to that, the ability to jam one of their controllers into your PC is a dubious benefit at best. It's honestly never even occurred to me. There are plenty of other fine PC controllers on the market out there, and I would argue that a rather mundane, typical games controller is easily trumped by new content to play.
You don't care about the controller; I don't care about any of the xbox exclusives mentioned in this thread.
The point is that if M$ really wanted to sabotage PC gaming, they wouldn't do ANYTHING for PC gaming.
No compatibility perks, no new versions of directx on the PC, no directx9 compliancy requirements for the windows GUI, but that's not the case.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
veloper said:
You don't care about the controller; I don't care about any of the xbox exclusives mentioned in this thread.
The point is that if M$ really wanted to sabotage PC gaming, they wouldn't do ANYTHING for PC gaming.
No compatibility perks, no new versions of directx on the PC, no directx9 compliancy requirements for the windows GUI, but that's not the case.
My point wasn't that the controller doesn't meet my personal tastes, it was that the controller offers nothing that dozens of other controllers already on the market don't offer.

And the argument that they aren't sabotaging PC gaming because they aren't doing everything in their power to do so is erroneous. It'd be like saying a man wasn't guilty of assault because if he REALLY wanted to hurt the other man he wouldn't have bashed his head in with an icepick, he'd have bought a gun.

There are degrees.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Jumwa said:
veloper said:
My point wasn't that the controller doesn't meet my personal tastes, it was that the controller offers nothing that dozens of other controllers already on the market don't offer.

And the argument that they aren't sabotaging PC gaming because they aren't doing everything in their power to do so is erroneous. It'd be like saying a man wasn't guilty of assault because if he REALLY wanted to hurt the other man he wouldn't have bashed his head in with an icepick, he'd have bought a gun.

There are degrees.
If this is sabotage, then saying harsh words to a man would be murder.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
veloper said:
If paying companies not to release content for the PC isn't an undermining of PC gaming, then what is?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Jumwa said:
veloper said:
If paying companies not to release content for the PC isn't an undermining of PC gaming, then what is?
That would be making gaming impossible, because your near monopoly on the Operating System makes let's you do anything.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
veloper said:
That would be making gaming impossible, because your near monopoly on the Operating System makes let's you do anything.
That wouldn't be undermining, that would be killing it completely. So the question stands, what would count as undermining it?