Microsoft Announces Xbox Project Scorpio as the Xbox One X

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Microsoft Announces Xbox Project Scorpio as the Xbox One X

Microsoft's supercharged Project Scorpio is officially called the Xbox One X.

Project Scorpio finally has a name - it's now called the Xbox One X. The announcement came yesterday at Microsoft's E3 press conference.

Microsoft says the Xbox One X is the world's "most powerful console ever." It features a custom eight-core CPU running at 2.3 GHz, a custom GPU with 60 TFLOPS of power, and 12 GB of RAM. The spec sheet shows a 1 TB hard drive and a 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray. It's even a little smaller than the Xbox One S.

All Xbox One accessories and games will work with the One X. Microsoft says that current games will look better and load faster. Several games have been confirmed to be receiving 4K updates. They include:

Halo Wars 2
Minecraft
Final Fantasy 15
Resident Evil 7
Rocket League
Ghost Recon Wildlands

If you're looking forward to grabbing the Xbox One X, you'll only have to wait until November 7. The console will cost $499.

[gallery=7498]

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
It's a nice looking console but a bloody horrible name.
There'll be a nickname for this one soon.
Already catching myself calling it the Onex (as you'd pronounce onyx).

All we can hope is, that when it does turn up, it's something as catchy as the good old "Xbone".
That one is so endemic now even the Ubisoft guy slipped and called it that during the microsoft Assassins Creed reveal.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
XBox One X? Took you all of five minutes to come up with that one, huh, marketing?

Oh wait, X Box One X. "X.B.O.X." Make that ten minutes.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So now Microsoft sell the Xbone and the Xbonx? How do we even say that? Xbone X, Xbonz, Xbonks? I'm going with Xbonks.

Various Youtube channels were jokingly suggesting that the Scorpio would be called Xbox One X because Microsoft were terrible at naming things.

I never understand Microsoft's marketing strategy, after two years of rumours and hype surrounding the word Scorpio, the new product is not called Scorpio. So all that effort and hype has just been thrown in the bin and has to market from scratch again.

More importantly, Microsoft needs some games for it and they need them to be good.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
The Great JT said:
XBox One X? Took you all of five minutes to come up with that one, huh, marketing?

Oh wait, X Box One X. "X.B.O.X." Make that ten minutes.
Could be worse. Could've called it the Xbox One Xtreme.

Or xXboXOneXx, in homage to the username of their average customer (420BlaZeIt Battlefield Smoke add-on to be announced soon).

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
What a dumb fucking name.

Mikeybb said:
It's a nice looking console but a bloody horrible name.
There'll be a nickname for this one soon.
Already catching myself calling it the Onex (as you'd pronounce onyx).
Xbone. One Ass. Onyx. Out of these, Onyx is the best. I find Onyx pretty good overall, would have been a cool and imo clever name.

But my ass it will play new games in 4k with decent framerate. But we'll see. So far, with all those backwards compatibility stuff, I'm actually inclined to maybe think about deciding to take a look at the console in order to make a decision of the possibility of buying it. I'm remotely interested.

I mean, the Switch is shit but its games are pretty cool. PS4 has Yakuza. But in general, Onyx offers the most. 499$ though, shit.

I guess I'll watch the Switch more and see if they'll release a new, good Tomodachi on it. Then, I'm sold. Have nothing to look forward to on the Onyx, except for all the damn games from every single MS console. Which aren't as many for me.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
So, the only "legit" complain people have is the name?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Huh. Considering 4k blu ray players are 300 fucking dollars maybe I'll get one of these and just have a console too.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
NLS said:
What else is there to talk about? It's an xbox with a bit better specs that's still worse than a PC. The name is the only thing that stands out with it.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
NLS said:
I doubt the actual horsepower and it still has no great exclusives. Fuck, the only reason I want it is to play 360 exclusives at not-garbage framerates.

Maybe a 4K player at best but that'd wear out the drive hard, and I've had some really bad experiences with optical drives on Xbox systems.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
X-Box was already a dumb name from the start, and X-Box One thematically stupid because what was the first one, then? The Negative One? So now, we have the X-Box One X, and...I think I see where this is all going.

They're going to call the one after this the X-Box One X-Box.

Microsoft is going to put itself into an endless program loop of 'X-Box One X-Box One X-Box One X-Box' as time goes by. They are stuck on repeat. Nobody in Microsoft is going anywhere until someoe reports a runtime error in the company so that it can be shutdown and rebooted...with no boot disc available.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
XboneX.

That pains me just to look at it. Ugh.

Stupid name aside, they really didn't sell me on it. I'm really not surprised by the price point, but to really get them graphics and OMG 4K dudez to do it justice, you need a 4K TV. Of which I don't own, so I would have to spend more money to see all them graphics. Not thank you.

At this point I would rather much get a PC since all the games they showed can be played on PC as well, so there isn't much of a reason for me to get their console.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
So it will be faster, in the same way that my newer Android tablet is faster than my older Android tablet. But if it's still constraining itself to only running software that the original XBox One can run... Is that worth $500 to anyone who already has one? Faster loading times, nicer textures, maybe higher resolution for those who insist on running things at 4K? (I guess they're pursuing the market that's invested in 4K televisions...?)

fix-the-spade said:
So now Microsoft sell the Xbone and the Xbonx? How do we even say that? Xbone X, Xbonz, Xbonks? I'm going with Xbonks.
XBonks. I like it.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
im glad im not the only one that thought back to the old online game days, when your name was taken and you used stuff like _name_ and xXnameXx XD

though the seccond thought i had was 'the parrot sketch'
only its not an EX parrot, its an EX box' lmao.

L3D

Jul 15, 2008
Microsoft is really bad at naming. The machine is just a tiny bit upgraded Xbox One, so why did they not just flip that new X of theirs a bit and have Xbox One+

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Seems right now I'm slagging off companies and brands I otherwise have a lot of time for... (first BioWare's new MP IP, now XB1.5)

Seems nice, but packaging it with the vanilla controller and not the Elite seems a wasted opportunity given how damn good the thing is (I'd rather take what it provides to the gaming experience than higher res and higher fps), and right now it's a complete rip-off in pound sterling.