Microsoft buys Activision/Blizzard for $70B

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Don't hold your breath. Atari has no idea what they're doing anymore. The current executive said they planned on "changing things", but I have no idea what that even means. Sega's happy right where they are. The best you're going to get from them is either a Sega šŸŖ Mini or a Dreamcast Mini.
What about a Saturn Mini...

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Holy shit. Well, they couldn't run things any worse then Bobby boy did. I hope he gets removed. I also hope MS will still publishing games on various platforms and they don't use this opportunity to make battle.net the new xbox live or something shitty like that.

Buh bye Bobby.

But I doubt this is gonna stop the long entrenched mandates by him I.E. Yearly Call of Duties and doing nothing to with their legacy backlog.

Who knows what's Blizzard's gonna be doing under this.

King games will be fine.

Reactions: Gergar12

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Microsoft had done diddly squat with Rareā€™s platformers other then rare replay and the occasional character cameo. This doesnā€™t hold well for Crash and Spyro.
Then again the same can be said for Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls with the Bethesda purchase.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Well, I guess that resolves Microsoft's repeated failures to storm into the gaming market: just buy a really big gaming company instead.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Then again the same can be said for Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls with the Bethesda purchase.
What do you mean? Elder Scrolls 6 is in development, we just got doom eternal plus two expansions for it in 2020, the only IP thatā€™s kinda dormant is Fallout, but their still making content for Fallout 76.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
How much will this matter if they don't end the chip shortage? I have never waited this long to get a next gen console. Typically they're readilly available 6 months after launch. We're closer to 16 now. And the end of the shortage is not in site.

ITMT: How does Nintendo do it? If they can, I'd think Sony can.

Even they still have about double Xbox sales in Gen 9.

Heck, I hope Atari and Sega get back into the console game to give us even more choices.
Nintendo does it by building their consoles out of different parts from the other two, already having a supply of their current console before the shortage, and not selling their consoles at a loss.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Buh bye Bobby.

But I doubt this is gonna stop the long entrenched mandates by him I.E. Yearly Call of Duties and doing nothing to with their legacy backlog.

Who knows what's Blizzard's gonna be doing under this.

King games will be fine.
Ha, good riddance you over paid piece of shit. Wish he was getting fired, although he probably has a big enough golden parachute to give everyone in the US UBI for at least 4 years.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So Spyro and Crash started off as Sony exclusives, and now they're Microsoft exclusives?

Oh, the humanity!

An Xbox-exclusive Call of Duty is probably going to single-handedly cause a seismic shift in terms of console market share.
Anyone else find it surreal that Microsoft's just bought the CoD franchise, which, let's be honest, is a bigger FPS IP than Halo, which has been its frontrunner since day 1?

Holy shit. Well, they couldn't run things any worse then Bobby boy did. I hope he gets removed. I also hope MS will still publishing games on various platforms and they don't use this opportunity to make battle.net the new xbox live or something shitty like that.
It makes me wonder too. Lots of games on B.net could be ported into the Microsoft ecosystem, but then you have stuff like WoW and HotS (difficult, if not impossible), to SC1/2 (practically impossible).

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I must have entered the twilight zone. People online are saying this acquisition could hurt Sony in the line run. Are we now gonna experience Sony doom posts like how Nintendo gets them?

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Oh um...Oh...uh neat? I'll be honest, I don't know if this is good or bad. I just know that somehow, somewhere, someone should be paying me about $1.5 million for this.
I guess it depends on your point of view. If you donā€™t care enough about games from Activision then it may not bother you much, unless you already prefer Microsoftā€™s consoles. However, it only increases the monopolization of this industry and we are left with little choices. Massive corporations will start buying already big but small corporations etc.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I guess it depends on your point of view. If you donā€™t care enough about games from Activision then it may not bother you much. However, it only increases the monopolization of this industry and we are left with little choices.
The only game I care about from Blizzard is the Diablo 2 remake, and Im just waiting some moral cooling off period before my friends will agree to but it.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
What do you mean? Elder Scrolls 6 is in development, we just got doom eternal plus two expansions for it in 2020, the only IP thatā€™s kinda dormant is Fallout, but their still making content for Fallout 76.
No new single player content will arrive for Fallout whilst '76 is still economically useful. The minute they were to make one, a huge chunk of their online players would disappear for a month or worse. That's why there's no Elder Scrolls 6, and I suspect a large part of why they've made Starfield: with two such big IPs locked out with an online version, they need something else to sell.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
No new single player content will arrive for Fallout whilst '76 is still economically useful. The minute they were to make one, a huge chunk of their online players would disappear for a month or worse. That's why there's no Elder Scrolls 6, and I suspect a large part of why they've made Starfield: with two such big IPs locked out with an online version, they need something else to sell.
Iā€™m still hoping for a new fallout game from obsidian. They can make a title while Bethesda is busy with star field and elder scrolls 6.