Microsoft Confirms Kinect for $149

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Is Nintendo REALLY "hedging their bets" on the motion control this holiday?

Seems to me that it's more about sidescrolling stuff this holiday season (Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc.).

Nintendo is however "hedging their bets" on the 3DS. That handheld will be make or break. I think it will make it quite nicely.

Also the Kinect bundle doesn't fit very well. Microsoft really seems to ONLY be aiming for the casual market with this because no hardcore (or whatever you want to call it) gamer would want just 4 GB of memory. That leaves so little room for SO many good games.

Frostwhisper21

Jul 16, 2010
Like many said, if I wanted to be active, I'd go outside and do almost anything I could actually do with the bloody controller. Short of shooting or slicing someone, I can bowl, run, raft, swim, jump, do track and field sports, drive, etc. Stupid motion controls : /

But I suppose you can get away with recouping your losses like Microsoft here is trying to do when you make more than the lower half of the damn world's GDP combined.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
gregoryg said:
Aaron Greenberg... notes that users can expand their storage by using USB sticks of up to 32 GB, adding that "you'd have to be pretty bad at making decisions" to purchase the Kinect bundle and immediately want a 250 GB harddrive.
Well, I did actually think to myself, "wow that's quite cheap. And I do need a 360..."
Ah well.
Yeah, I'm sure as hell not getting the Kinect for quite some time. Even if I get a 360, I think I'll wait until the price drops, alot.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
gregoryg said:
Aaron Greenberg, director of product management at Microsoft, doesn't believe that this is an issue. He notes that users can expand their storage by using USB sticks of up to 32 GB, adding that "you'd have to be pretty bad at making decisions" to purchase the Kinect bundle.
Fixed that for you Aaron!

Sorry, couldn't help myself, just having fun. He in no way meant that, and you aren't bad at making decisions for wanting a Kinect. :)

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
$300 for a 2 person motion experience, only for those without long skirts, with only 1 game? $200 for a Wii with 2 games and the motion+ and you could get a Wiimote or 2 with motion+'s for that extra $100, plus you get more than 4 games to choose from to add to your collection.
Kinect will not even nick the paint on the Wii's dominance.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
its more than an eyetoy really i mean probs not worth that much but it represents your full body movement on the screen

They are trying to develop a live action movement capture system without markers to apply to gaming and all anyone can say is
"OMGAWD I DUN HAV 150 BUWKS" and some adding they don't own a 360...

so yeah people who already have 360s who have $150 to piss up the wall will probably buy this and thats more people than you think.

you think lil timmy is going to want to play super mario 3d version 3324.32? or table tennis by another shovelware firm 5?

or you think hes gunna want to play the one where hes doing karate kicks infront of the TV and the dude on the screen is getting his ass wooped?

remember how dissapointing wii boxing was? because it wasnt realistic as you expected? wii controls unintuitive before wii motion plus and you would just flail.

well this could be what that was supposed to be

listen to us elitist nerds predicting the failure of kinect as if we were market analysts "i dont want to buy it so noone else will" seems to be your train of thought, dont be so cynical

but yeah I'm not gunna buy one until they drop the price and ive read some awesome game reviews. Thats cos im poor, and an elitist nerd. I'm sure many other people will buy it, it will probably do pretty well, but I doubt it will be a resounding success like the wii.

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
Radeonx said:
Unless the games on it are really, really awesome, I'm not going to get this.
Just too much money for a HD version of the Wii, one of which I already have and enjoy thoroughly.
"Kinectimals, Kinect Sports, and Dance Central"

Seems to me like you'll be buying Kinect on launch day! How can those games NOT be awesome?

------

Way too expensive. Not that I have or want an Xbox... but still.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
It'll probably be $300-400 in Australia. I hope this thing bombs, nothing will give me more satisfaction. It might make MS realise "Hold on, we pride ourselves on the core demographic..."

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
So by the time it reaches Australia it will be what? $250-300? Wonderful. Guess I wont be buying one.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
How does this appeal to the mainstream market?

Wii total investment: $200 USD
Kinect total investment: $450 USD

Maybe I'm alone here, but I would just buy one of those cool black Wiis. Software lineup is better for the Wii anyway.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
as of 1053 pm eastern standard time i can confirm im not getting this
and on a side note will wait for it to fail like the HDDVD players

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Tales of Golden Sun said:
Radeonx said:
Unless the games on it are really, really awesome, I'm not going to get this.
Just too much money for a HD version of the Wii, one of which I already have and enjoy thoroughly.
"Kinectimals, Kinect Sports, and Dance Central"

Seems to me like you'll be buying Kinect on launch day! How can those games NOT be awesome?

------

Way too expensive. Not that I have or want an Xbox... but still.

are you being sarcastic?

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Well, at least it's relatively cheap. I'm gonna wait to make sure it's actually worth it, though. (Probably not.)
if thats relatively cheap i like to ask for a couple of bucks since thats half of my paycheck

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Jumplion said:
I hate to jump on "hate-bandwagons", but yes, $150 is way too much for what is supposedly only going to support 2 active players at a time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.205964-Speculative-Specifications-Suggest-Two-Player-Kinect-Cap]. And that is a pitiful excuse for an even pitiful-er 4GB of storage, hell all PS3's, including slim, have at least 120GB!

I hate to jump on the hate-bandwagon, Sony gets crap like this too and being the all-powerful fanboy I am I can be guilty of defending them when they get shit slung at them. But really, this just reads "bad news" for Kinect all over it. They just have no idea what direction there going with it, first they say "It's not for 'core' gamers" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.204178-Microsoft-Kinect-Not-For-Core-Gamers] and then they say "Hardcore will buy it first" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.205366-Hardcore-Will-Adopt-Kinect-First-Says-Microsoft] (with a picture of the least-hardcore game shown no less) and now they're going "The casual gamers will prefer us over the Wii!" They're grabbing for a market that's already been grabbed, trying to scramble for the remains. Hell, at least Sony is going for Move support on more "core" games (Heavy Rain, Killzone 3, SOCOM 4, and LBP2 (that's hard to the COREZ))

But whatever, I'm rambling now.

Digikid said:
Ah stop your whining guys. The price is fair.

Me? I think that I will go for the bundle deal myself.
How so? Don't just go "Stop whining, it's fair!" and just scuddle along, how is it fair? I legitimately want to know, I'm not trying to bash anyone. From what I read Kinect bundled with the 360, at $300, (double Kinect's price) only comes with a pitiful 4GB storage device that you have to buy an even pitiful-er USB stick just to get more memory, and when Microsoft does start selling 360Slim compatible harddrives it's going to cost around $100 [http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Ex0&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&q=360+hard+drive&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=0R1GTLwdg4qXB4uC-cwE&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDYQrQQwAA] just to increase it to a decent size.
to me it sounds like 360 arcade plus Kinect

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
sunburst313 said:
The $300 bundle could really take off if they market it well. It'll probably outsell the stand-alone Kinect which I assume is what Microsoft wants. I guess I should expect everyone here to hate out of principle but it's not for you. Microsoft is trying to grab a piece of the casual gaming market. The majority of the people who make up that market don't give two shits about storage space so that won't be a problem. Doesn't the Wii have 512 megabytes of flash memory? I suppose that held it back, right? The price tag on the bundle isn't bad at all when compared to a Wii and the Motion+ controllers necessary for four people to play. If they can keep the casual friendly games coming then this just might work.
you cant't download movies and tv shows on the wii either

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
The_Emperor said:
you think lil timmy is going to want to play super mario 3d version 3324.32? or table tennis by another shovelware firm 5?

or you think hes gunna want to play the one where hes doing karate kicks infront of the TV and the dude on the screen is getting his ass wooped?
Do you honestly think that anything coming out for this will not be shovelware?

Microsoft has 3 or so solid pieces of IP but none of them will be arriving for this soon, major 3rd party developers haven't announced anything that will draw the hardcore crowd, and they don't have any anchor franchises (Mario, Zelda...) to secure quality games in the forseeable future. This is a recipe for shovelware that makes the developers of Ninjabread Man cringe.

I mean, for the people who have the money and really want to play the titles created by Nintendo Microsoft, I'm sure it will be more than fun. However, don't deny that you will have to wade through aisles of crap to find what you are looking for, just like the Wii.

Also, what kid doesn't want to play Mario, seriously?

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
I posted this in another thread, but it still applies:

This is way too much.

Potential buyers who see the console + kinect for 300, are going to buy the wii instead, and MS has been going on record saying "this isn't really for hardcore gamers", despite the fact that the hardcore crowd are the ones likely to drop 150$ on an accessory for a system they already own.

This is a poor decision. If they'd gone to $99, or even $129, they could have at least said, "we were thinking about 150, but we wanted to offer a better value to our customers" to save face.

Weak play, microsoft.

-m
for all intense purposes i think i was the first to do that Price is Right gag when this was unveiled as Natal, just wanted to say that(so when this fails i can yell i called it to all,and if it succeeds never mention it again) , altho everyone probably heard in their head....

secondly i think 49.99 would have been the ideal price that everyone would have bought this add on