Microsoft Defends Halo 3: ODST Pricing

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Microsoft Defends Halo 3: ODST Pricing

The increasingly ambitious scope of Halo 3: ODST explains the dramatic increase in the asking price for the game, which was once described as an "expansion pack" but will carry a $60 price tag like a full retail game, Microsoft says.

"We do not view this as a $60 title," Bungie's Joe Staten declared after the announcement of Halo 3: ODST (then Halo Recon), which was being pitched as an expansion pack of sorts for Halo 3. Apparently times change, and so do price tags. Halo 3: ODST, as was revealed last week, will run for that exact amount - $60, just like a full-fledged game.

So what's with the price hike? Are Bungie and Microsoft hurting for cash these days just like the rest of us? "At the time of those statements, the overall scope of Halo 3: ODST was not yet finalized, and since then the project has grown increasingly more ambitious," a Microsoft rep told Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/11/microsoft-responds-to-increased-price-for-halo-3-odst/]. "We believe this standalone experience is much more than just an expansion. Halo 3: ODST provides a new campaign from the point of view of an entirely new character."

Microsoft also reminded us that ODST also comes with three new multiplayer maps, a new co-op mode and the "complete Halo 3 multiplayer collection," thus making it a "good value and tremendous addition to the Halo franchise." It does sound a bit like a whole lot of disparate parts attached to one relatively weighty campaign and slapped with a full retail price tag.

Based on Bungie's demo of ODST's campaign at E3, I don't doubt that it'll probably be a high-quality Halo 3 experience, but I'd have to know more to judge if it'll be worth it. Hardcore fans would probably buy this if it cost $100, and they can - ODST will ship in a collector's edition that will run you a single Benjamin.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Still not as expensive as the inFAMOUS copy selling for 74 euros at a store where I live...

Xbowhyena

Jan 26, 2009
The price will drop if sales are bad, and they'll stay up if people feel the game is worth it. Thus is the nature of things.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
$60? But that's tiny!

Oh wait, you guys are American. Oh well, I suppose I'll have to make do with my $120 price tag.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
pffft....And I said I wouldn't even buy it at $30.

Edit: And can they reason Halo 3: ODST is worth just as much as Halo 3?

This is crazy.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Kellerb said:
...money grabbing arse hats. i am boycotting the hell out of this.
Woo! Halo:ODST Boycott! Quick, start a group at the Xbox forums or something, we've got a manifesto to write!

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Really? I had no idea. I was never really interested in this, I figured I would just get it since it was probably going to be faitly cheap anyway. Now, I probably won't get it.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Keane Ng said:
[b/]Are[/b] Bungie and Microsoft hurting for cash these days just like the rest of us? "At the time of those statements, the overall scope of Halo 3: ODST was not yet finalized,
I believe it's fixed.
Grammar Nazi awaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Keane Ng said:
[b/]Are[/b] Bungie and Microsoft hurting for cash these days just like the rest of us? "At the time of those statements, the overall scope of Halo 3: ODST was not yet finalized,
I believe it's fixed.
Gah. To be fair, that wasn't really a grammar mistake, I just kept the wrong word after I changed the sentence. So it was just negligence. MY GRAMMER ARE FLAWELESS.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Keane Ng said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Keane Ng said:
I believe it's fixed.
Gah. To be fair, that wasn't really a grammar mistake, I just kept the wrong word after I changed the sentence. So it was just negligence. MY GRAMM[b/]A[/b]R ARE FLA[b/]WL[/b]ESS.
Spelling Nazi awaaaaaay!
I joke, I'm going to stop this before I piss someone off, anyways I agree this more sounds like a various cluster of random stuff slapped into a box and then overcharged.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Eh, I'll buy the collector's edition probably, if only because I need another controller.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
oliveira8 said:
Still not as expensive as the inFAMOUS copy selling for 74 euros at a store where I live...
But does Halo 3: ODST have Yahtzee saying its a great game?

I'm kidding. That sounds pretty unfair, you might want to check another store - might just be a problem on their end.
Who knows. He might end up liking it!(not a chance.) And yes its the store problem. Which happens to be right now the only store in town.

There was a old store that sold geek stuff but it close down. I had customer privalages and everything!

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
So you get a shorter campaign and a recycled multiplayer mode for 60 bucks? Yeah, I think I'll stick with the halo 3 regular.