Microsoft Defends Halo 3: ODST Pricing

red the fister

Mar 11, 2009
m_jim said:
madbird-valiant said:
I realize that you were joking, but my fanboyism declares it necessary to inform you that ODST stands for

Orbital Drop Shock Trooper

my good man.
Ornithopter Driving Sabertooth Tigers?
Obligatory D**k-S**k Treatment?

<--- Watches WAY TOO MUCH pron...

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
red the fister said:
m_jim said:
madbird-valiant said:
I realize that you were joking, but my fanboyism declares it necessary to inform you that ODST stands for

Orbital Drop Shock Trooper

my good man.
Ornithopter Driving Sabertooth Tigers?
Obligatory D**k-S**k Treatment?

<--- Watches WAY TOO MUCH pron...
Olfactory Deprived Shark Tamers?

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Harbinger_ said:
A corporate superpower defends it's creation and tries to gain as much money as possible. Please tell me you aren't surprised by this....
I'm certainly not surprised by this. I'm surprised people are defending it.

I guess stupid people are in higher abundance these days.

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:
Turtleboy1017 said:
It's bullshit, that's what it is. I can't play any team slayer with my buddies, because only like 2 of us actually think that the mythic map pack is worth it. Trust me, it's not.
Yes you can, Social Slayer requires no DLC, same with Social Skirmish and Lone Wolves. If you want Ranked, Squad Battle and MLG only need Heroic (which is free).

http://www.bungie.net/online/playlists.aspx

Turtleboy1017 said:
I love how Bungie claims that they "are now separate" from Microsoft, but still make games announced by, marketed by, and published by Microsoft.
Insomniac is no different. As an independent developer Bungie can do what they want and what they want is continued partnership with Microsoft, and to launch their enemies into the Sun with a massive slingshot.

Wafflestomper99 said:
theultimateend said:
Wafflestomper99 said:
I don't really see a need to charge a full amount. It is an expansion pack for all intents and purposes. I'll try it, but I'm not gonna buy it till the price drops. And if that means waiting a while, I will.

It's just a cash cow.
So were Halo 2 and 3.
I respectfully disagree. They at least carried the story to it's climax and conclusion, and added other features such as live play and forge and other in game items, however much you use them is up for debate, but they had a reason to exist
ODST has reworked player traits, a full campaign, a new multiplayer mode, and an updated engine. Not to mention Halo 3's multiplayer complete with every DLC map and the Reach Multiplayer Beta. Seems like a fair deal to me.

Many PC games' expansions cost near full price if they're stand-alone. And many games that could be considered expansions with a change in wording and maybe a few divisions (such as Rainbow Six Vegas 2, a quality tactical shooter by the way) are released as full games for full price.

EDIT:
madbird-valiant said:
I'm gonna fork out for the Collector's Edition.

I mean.. I'm me, what choice do I have? And it's more expensive here, too.
I think I might too, I could use an extra controller and that one looks, as another poster put: hawt. My brother is of course getting his own copy and preordering it for the Sergeant Major Avery Johnson Firefight skin.

CyberAkuma said:
"[the game] provides a new campaign from the point of view of an entirely new character."
This shows how far some sales rep in MicroSoft have their heads up stuck up their asses.
Like the idea of retelling a story from a different point of view from a new character has NEVER been done before.

Half-Life: Opposing Force 1999?
It's not the same story seen by a different character. Aside from seeing a Halo 2 cutscene from a different angle it's an entirely new story.
Okay just listen to me. I've said it about 3 times now but STILL some people don't get the picture. I worked my ass off with my friends, had fun, and got to a lvl 45 in team slayer. However, I can not play that now becuase it requires mythic map pack. Anyone who states that team slayer does not need mythic is WRONG. WRONG WRONG WRONG. I have no idea why people keep saying you don't need it.Go plug in the game, and go see if you can play it without mythic. Because you can't. I know this and if you still object, then your game is fucked up.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Turtleboy1017 said:
Okay just listen to me. I've said it about 3 times now but STILL some people don't get the picture. I worked my ass off with my friends, had fun, and got to a lvl 45 in team slayer. However, I can not play that now becuase it requires mythic map pack. Anyone who states that team slayer does not need mythic is WRONG. WRONG WRONG WRONG. I have no idea why people keep saying you don't need it.Go plug in the game, and go see if you can play it without mythic. Because you can't. I know this and if you still object, then your game is fucked up.
So, what you're saying is is that you can't play un-ranked Team Slayer (aka Social Slayer) for some bizarre psychological reason? Is there something supernatural which prevents you from enjoying team slayer in Squad Battle? Can you not play MLG team slayer for causes hitherto unknown to science? Is Social Skirmish arbitrarily excluded from potential participation?

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:
Turtleboy1017 said:
So, what you're saying is is that you can't play un-ranked Team Slayer (aka Social Slayer) for some bizarre psychological reason? Is there something supernatural which prevents you from enjoying team slayer in Squad Battle? Can you not play MLG team slayer for causes hitherto unknown to science? Is Social Skirmish arbitrarily excluded from potential participation?

Dear Jesus fuck it's like talking to a god damn brick wall. Not ONCE did I say that I can't or don't enjoy playing SOCIAL SLAYER. GET THE TWO RIGHT. I am referring to TEAM SLAYER. That is 4 people vs 4 people in a ranked match. What you are talking about is SOCIAL SLAYER or 5 vs 5 in an UNRANKED. I am pissed because Bungie has locked me out of playing RANKED TEAM SLAYER unless I purchase the new mythic map pack which is a load of shit. I played TONS of TEAM SLAYER before they released it, and I had a lvl 45 on it, and it is unfair of Bungie to suddenly restrict me from being able to continue where I left off. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. For you information, ever since it has become impossible to play TEAM SLAYER without the new mythic map pack, all i have been playing is Team Snipers. It's not as fun, but I have to work with what I got.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I'm very interested in pre-ordering the Limited Edition, as the game plus the controller costs out less than each separately, and my old wireless controller is starting to get a sticky thumbstick switch.

FYI, sketchfactor (Bungie's Community Lead) just posted in a fan forum that the Sergeant Johnson player skin comes with additional combat dialog enabled... yep, I suspect you're avatar will be telling everyone that Brutes love the smell of heroes in Firefight. Now, to find a Canadian retailer honouring that offer... (and offering the LE, for that matter.)

-- Steve

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I don't believe there has ever been a successful boycott in all of science fiction and fantasy fandom. They can do this because people will simply complain and scream bloody murder while passing out their $60 and discussing the game enthusiastically as they play it out the other side of their mouth.

Truthfully though, as I've said in other forums, if they actually had to compete with other companies over pricing and such you'd probably see them being a lot quicker to sell an expansion pack at a lower price.

Basically if you want a video game, you pay $60. That's what all new games cost. Either you buy their glorified expansion pack, or you buy something else, but it's still $60 because nobody competes as was intended or tries to undercut each other. Development time/budgets are irrelevent in this kind of an enviroment. It's not anything as major as gasoline, or computer operating systems, so the goverment doesn't go after the industry for price fixing.

In the end they are counting on the fact that your Halo fanboy will buy a product with the "Halo" name stamped on it, as opposed to another game going for $60 when given the
option.

Really though nothing is going to come of the complaining unless someone can actually organize a real boycott/protest.

I'll also be totally honest with you in saying that most real Boycotts that work on any substantial scale are ultimatly criminal in part. See, what you need is a substantial enough enraged base that it produces enough people angry enough to do things like go to stores and prevent other people from buying the product. This doesn't mean just picketing, and then watching guys laugh as they walk out with the product. It means being willing to sit out there with Baseball bats, work people over in the parking lot for buying the product, and then destroying it. There has to be enough people willing to do this and endure the police (and replace those being arrested) to be effective.

It's sort of like Strikes, and how unions lose their power. Look back at the old days of strikes and Boycotts and how things got started, with businesses calling in companies like Pinkertons (which still exists as a Detective/Security company) to get muscle to put down worker revolts. You had workers grabbing people that tried to go to work anyway, beating them within an inch of their life (or killing them) and writing "Scab" on the body. Boycotts are generally less intense, but involve similar techniques.

The "Boston Tea Party" for example didn't involve a bunch of people hating the taxes simply organizing a refusal to buy tea. They also took direct, and frightening (for the time) action.

In general I just can't see a bunch of basement dwelling fanboys organizing to do anything like this against a national product. Heck, I can't even see a bunch of fanboys "tea partying" the game and burning down the warehouses it would be distributed from.

So really, unless you think you can get something organized, there is no point to screaming "Boycott" other than to be annoying. I mean 10-15 years ago it was a bit scary due to nobody knowing for sure how the balance of power between gamers and the newly developing "big game companies" were going to turn out... but well, in the end we're holding no power in the equasion.

Back in the day for example companies like "Origin" (which no longer exists) were worried about Boycott threats, and actually went to court over UO though the case against them was laughed off.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Samurai Ralan

May 8, 2009
I didn't see this listed in here but back on the 18th of June there was an announcement how the game will come with a stand-alone disc that has all 24 Multiplayer maps on it. This encompasses the three new unreleased maps (already known) as well as the Mythic, Legendary, Heroic and Cold Storage maps.

http://www.amazon.com/Halo-3-ODST-Xbox-360/dp/B001HWB68K

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/productDetails.aspx?sku=200720

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Wafflestomper99 said:
theultimateend said:
Wafflestomper99 said:
I don't really see a need to charge a full amount. It is an expansion pack for all intents and purposes. I'll try it, but I'm not gonna buy it till the price drops. And if that means waiting a while, I will.

It's just a cash cow.
So were Halo 2 and 3.
I respectfully disagree. They at least carried the story to it's climax and conclusion, and added other features such as live play and forge and other in game items, however much you use them is up for debate, but they had a reason to exist
I'm probably just bitter because of the following two reasons:

A) The moment I thought the game was about to begin for Halo 2 it ended.
B) Everything that was done in Halo 1 I liked only because they basically ported Perfect Dark from N64 and updated the graphics (gameplay wise, I'll admit that they didn't plagurize in any way). However this meant that I had little room for acceptance when bullshit like the flood hit.

I mean don't get me wrong, if you liked them good for you. I'm not gonna punch you in the balls because you were nice enough to not do so to me :). I just really felt utterly cheated by Halo 2 and 3.

At least PD had an alien named Elvis and actual AI options in the multiplayer mode. Which is btw a technology that is apparently so advanced it has never been seen again.

Wafflestomper99

May 14, 2009
theultimateend said:
Wafflestomper99 said:
theultimateend said:
Wafflestomper99 said:

It's just a cash cow.
So were Halo 2 and 3.

B) Everything that was done in Halo 1 I liked only because they basically ported Perfect Dark from N64 and updated the graphics (gameplay wise, I'll admit that they didn't plagurize in any way). However this meant that I had little room for acceptance when bullshit like the flood hit.

I mean don't get me wrong, if you liked them good for you. I'm not gonna punch you in the balls because you were nice enough to not do so to me :). I just really felt utterly cheated by Halo 2 and 3.

At least PD had an alien named Elvis and actual AI options in the multiplayer mode. Which is btw a technology that is apparently so advanced it has never been seen again.
Okay, so we agree to disagree. I will give you though that way too many space-themed games emulate the alien vs predator theme of the advanced species who do what they do, the nigh-unstoppable chaos theory primeval species, and the humans caught between. Star Craft is another who's explored this concept amazingly well.

And yes, I'll give you that Perfect Dark was an amazing game. Light years ahead of its time. Still ahead of most generic, lackluster shooters that come through these days. If only Perfect Dark Zero wasn't so bad.

So, I'll end it with this. The Halo trilogy was a good series in my opinion. Not the best games ever, but certainly great to me. They have a nice mythology / storyline (expanded and within game only), great graphics, huge replay value, nice multiplayer, but I think it's time we let the series die with dignity before we ring it out like Jason Voorhees or something. Halo Wars was a decent RTS, although completely unnecessary. I guess my biggest gripe is that this is introducing a new character when all the lovable (and not so lovable) characters are introduced, who no one really should even care about. Yay, he's a faceless, nameless badass ODST. There's thousands in the UNSC. I really couldn't care less about him. Why not bring back Sergeant Johnson? Who people actually knew and liked. Adding some maps online? Great. And some new game types? Bring it on. $60? No. $40. Maybe. That's pretty much a rant I feel I just needed to get off my chest.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Wafflestomper99 said:
theultimateend said:
Wafflestomper99 said:
theultimateend said:
Wafflestomper99 said:

It's just a cash cow.
So were Halo 2 and 3.

Okay, so we agree to disagree. I will give you though that way too many space-themed games emulate the alien vs predator theme of the advanced species who do what they do, the nigh-unstoppable chaos theory primeval species, and the humans caught between. Star Craft is another who's explored this concept amazingly well.

And yes, I'll give you that Perfect Dark was an amazing game. Light years ahead of its time. Still ahead of most generic, lackluster shooters that come through these days. If only Perfect Dark Zero wasn't so bad.

So, I'll end it with this. The Halo trilogy was a good series in my opinion. Not the best games ever, but certainly great to me. They have a nice mythology / storyline (expanded and within game only), great graphics, huge replay value, nice multiplayer, but I think it's time we let the series die with dignity before we ring it out like Jason Voorhees or something. Halo Wars was a decent RTS, although completely unnecessary. I guess my biggest gripe is that this is introducing a new character when all the lovable (and not so lovable) characters are introduced, who no one really should even care about. Yay, he's a faceless, nameless badass ODST. There's thousands in the UNSC. I really couldn't care less about him. Why not bring back Sergeant Johnson? Who people actually knew and liked. Adding some maps online? Great. And some new game types? Bring it on. $60? No. $40. Maybe. That's pretty much a rant I feel I just needed to get off my chest.
I have to say. You are the most pleasant person I've had to talk to on these forums.

I can't argue with a damn thing you said, which as Martha Stewart said on that episode of Southpark about Queefing "It's a good thing :)."

Also I agree I've only heard negative stuff about Zero, I never played it.

Wafflestomper99

May 14, 2009
theultimateend said:
Wafflestomper99 said:
theultimateend said:
Wafflestomper99 said:
theultimateend said:
Wafflestomper99 said:

It's just a cash cow.
So were Halo 2 and 3.

I have to say. You are the most pleasant person I've had to talk to on these forums.

I can't argue with a damn thing you said, which as Martha Stewart said on that episode of Southpark about Queefing "It's a good thing :)."

Also I agree I've only heard negative stuff about Zero, I never played it.
A.) I'm new, so I've gotta make a nice impression and
B.) You're not a douchebag flamer who blasts everything who doesn't eat, breathe and live their lifestyle