Microsoft Defends Xbox One Parity Clause: "Xbox Owners Should Feel First-Class"

Slayer4472

Sep 1, 2014
Hey, it's not like we NEED those smelly indies on the X-bone. Instead of playing Minecraft, they can spend their time on Destiny and Titanfall, two games which are in no way similar!

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Because if people don't like your product, force them to like it.

Although this clause I feel like would be good if there were a few more xboners out there...

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
I fail to the see the problem. Good on him for making sure people that bought into his console to feel like they've made a sound investment.

Full disclosure: PC gamer. Haven't owned a console since 2010, which I hadn't booted up since 2008.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
So what does this say he think of his customers if he feels that making sure an indy title isn't released to Playstation before it gets to Xbox will help them feel 'first class'. I mean seriously that's like playground level maturity. He's basically saying Xbox owners are childish brats.

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
ticklefist said:
I fail to the see the problem. Good on him for wanting people that bought into his console to feel like they've made a sound investment.

Full disclosure: PC gamer. Haven't owned a console since 2010, which I hadn't booted up since 2008.
That doesn't make sense. I would rather get the game later then never. Honestly most Indie games are not going to be huge blockbusters in sales. What they do is fill a niche when people want something new to play, but maybe don't want AAA games or nothing new is out yet. Well look at the market and see what Indie games are there to kill a few hours. I would wager a lot of Indie games sell better later after word of mouth is out. So now if a game comes out on ps4 first it will never be on xbox. How is that a sound investment in a system?

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
Kajin said:
That's... Not how game development works. Most indie teams don't have the manpower or resources to even THINK about cross platform launches. When they do, it's usually after they've completed a game, found success, and now have the money and time to actually work on making their game cross platform. This strategy essentially locks out all those indie devs who decided to wait and see if they can even make a successful game in the first place before dividing attentions into what is basically nonessential development time.
either that, or force them to make it an xbox game first and then port it to other places first. Which is really the reason this clause exists to me.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I'm sorry all I read was Microsoft saying they're whiny little brats who don't want to play with toys some other kids got to enjoy first, and if that means their customers, who just paid possible more for their new box than the other two, can't get a chance to enjoy them either, screw them and the indie game in question.

It's quite a stark contrast to these "definitive edition" last gen games that have had a chance to sell a million or more copies and get another go at your money. I'm surprised that Microsoft never said, "We want our customers to have the freshest gaming experience. So we are focusing on new titles and not re-releasing last gen games on Xbone ,er, Xbox One." Oh, wait, I'm not surprised at all. AAA games make them wheelbarrow loads of cash, compared to indies, even if they're rehashes of a less than 2 year-old game.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
This is nonsense. He's basically saying any port is an insult, and that gamers feel insulted by ports. Nobody likes delays, but to be insulted by them, to feel like second or third class players because of it?

Ryse and Dead Rising 3 just came out on PC. Because of the lack of parity, they were an insult to PC gamers, by his own admission making us second class gamers. Is he seriously applying this argument to all exclusives, timed or delayed releases?

Or is he just a hypocrite, championing parity except when it's someone else who doesn't receive it.

The definition of parity is not, 'Equal with everyone else, except when it suits us not to be'. You cannot be for parity, and for exclusives at the same time.

If you like parity so much, Mr Spencer, put your money where you mouth is, and force the industry to abandon exclusives. Fight to get games release at the same time around the world. Talk to the German and Australian governments and make the case for not censoring games.

At the very least, learn how to suck up to XBone users without insulting everyone else in the process.

EDIT: Rambling and unfocussed. Need coffee.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
how pathetic must you be to feel "First-Class", just because you didnt get to play a game after someone else did?

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Fine. Enjoy not having anything on your fucking console.
If I was an indie dev who could only afford to make one console version at a time, I'd go for the one that sold the most units. That's basic math. If MS then doesn't want the game on their system because I went PS4 first, it's their problem.

The parity clause was a reasonable (if still profoundly vile) business move back when the 360 was the most popular console - make it on our system first or lose that entire market - but now it's vile AND dumb.

Also hard to "feel first class" when you're playing your 900p game that's 1080p on the other system.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Couple of months later Xbox is going to drop the parity clause and Mr. Spencer will say something like "best thing for consumer", "choice for the developer" with his unearned arrogance.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Really?

So, I guess I'm suppose to feel all confident and badass in my new decked-out Pinto?

Am I basking in luxury by flying first class in the baggage compartment (with the snakes)?

Do I feel tantalized by an imported gourmet coconut...when I can't stand the fucking things?

NO.

Keep your ridiculous backwards contradictory double-talk out of my english language, you soup-brained idiots. Not only are you constricting the developers AGAIN, but you're trying to sleeze and trick the average user into thinking you got game. Well, fella, you don't. Sony got game and Nintendo got game. Nintendo don't have quite as much as Sony, though, and you've been handing Sony ALL the keys to the liquor cabinets. They're getting it EASY this year. You wanna talk about class? Lemme tell you how I feel sticking with them...

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
I can see how this can backfire. Unless that "help", he's talking about, is available to everyone, which I doubt.

Eri said:
Good luck getting them to feel first class with a second class console. Unless the PS4 PC version gets dumbed down (looking at you Ubisoft almost everyone), then the PS4 PC version will always be superior.
You're welcome.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well this might sound awful to anyone with moral fiber but for MS this is actually a big step toward a neutral zone, before this they just forced devs into exclusivity by default. And now devs aren't even paying tens of thousands to patch their game on Xbox... baby steps.

Liam Steel

Oct 12, 2014
Microsoft's sole responsibility is to X-Box owners (well I guess they should care about pc owners too but historically that hasn't been the case), so I guess I don't blame them.

That said, it seems like it could be damaging to x-box owners. Indie devs have two concerns on release, getting a working product in the wild and making sure it has the largest potential audience possible on release. Not all indie devs have the resources to launch on multiple platforms at launch so they'd most likely want to release on PC first since that's where the most users could be found. X-box has the second lowest number of users after the Wii U. Basically my concern is that if a developer decides to narrow his/her focus and release on the PC or PS4 which both have a larger user base than the X-box that game may not be ever be released to X-box owners.

This just seems short sighted to me, but I guess that's nothing new to Microsoft. I'll never forget Games for Windows live. NEVER!!

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
mjharper said:
This is nonsense. He's basically saying any port is an insult, and that gamers feel insulted by ports. Nobody likes delays, but to be insulted by them, to feel like second or third class players because of it?
Actually, PC Gamers to regularly feel insulted by ports. It seems porting is really hard for many studios, and we get sub-par products when the game is console-centric. I mean, just look at how a PC Gamer name like Totalbiscuit talks about bad ports, he certainly sounds insulted by what he got. However, I guess that goes back to the game developers themselves and not the concept of a port. Just, let's not pretend that it is rare to get a great port in comparison to the original product.