Microsoft Drops Xbox One DRM Restrictions - UPDATED

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Interesting what happens when people begin voting with money. We'll see if this turns out to be true but they've dug themselves an awfully deep hole so far. I don't know how much this will abate the crap-storm they've summoned over their heads. I mean, honestly, they've made my mind up for me against them already. They've lost this round.

Not only that, but in making the Xbone weaker than they had to, games will rely on cloud processing and that's ALWAYS ONLINE DRM. In which case what would they care about the 24-hour login if that's the future of their game?

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Well, this would be welcome news, were it to be confirmed, and if I trusted Microsoft at all to keep its word, which I don't. In all likelihood (I don't know much about these things), the Xbox One's hardware is finalized, and this will just be a shift in the firmware. If Microsoft can pull this requirement, there's no reason that they can't add it again via firmware update once they've got a solid user base - they've already demonstrated enough sheer stupidity and disregard for their consumers that I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a move like that.

Still, if it happens, it will be a good move - but it shouldn't buy back all their lost goodwill.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Not happening. They've good too far to back down now.
If it happens, it'll be a total joke. Can't believe a serious company like MS could do this.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Too late in my book.

They thought it was a great idea, and they strongly defended it for weeks

how we should be educated
how we should go back to 360 if you don't like it
and other ways of belittling potential consumers..

I have 360 and couple of games on it but I won't support the next one.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Desert Punk said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
But I thought all those were fundamentally necessary in order to make the console work properly. You're telling me Microsoft could (gasp) turn it off all along?

Well it's good to hear Microsoft (might) be listening to the gaming community and/or reason.

However, this does make all those arguments from Xbone supporters defending all these restrictions seem somewhat funny in retrospect.
You know, I may be cynical, but its possible, just possible, that they KNEW going in that these were terrible policies, never intending to keep them.

Setting themselves up for a masterstroke of going "We listen to our consumers, we are here for YOU, so all those things you railed against (And we knew you would -snicker-) are going away, because we love you, and are here to serve." gaining a good deal of popular support if they follow through.
Oh my God. You sir, have just blown my mind. It's all a conspiracy!!! Microsoft is working for the illuminati!!!!!!!!!

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
Maybe I'm imagining things, but didn't PS3 games originally come with codes that would make them one-use only (similar to disk games on PC), only for them to stop using that system?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Hmm...nah, I think I'll still buy a PS4 to air on the side of caution. Sorry MS, you screwed the pooch and neutering it won't save you from the consequences after the fact.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
hentropy said:
Hoo boy. Once they do this they'll probably strip away everything else that was crappy with it as well. Damage is already done though it seems.
Not really, there are still a few crappy things left if this is true, including: no SDTV support; mandatory, always listening Kinect still forced on everyone; and still awful for indie devs. But still, if this is true, this does help fix a ton of problems the console had.

OT:
The 8th gen console wars might have just gotten quite a bit more interesting...

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
But they were praising their DRM as something good for the consumers.
2. Cloud processing was always a lie if all the games can work offline
Nah, the cloud processing was only ever supposed to be for things like lighting, precalculating cloth physics... stuff that is non-essential for actually playing the game.

P.S. Thanks

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
Why do people still think the kinect is 'always on' when there are multiple documents and insiders telling you can turn it off?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If it's true then wow, they actually do listen/ look from the feedback! Still this isn't the first time the fan had triumph.

Aug 1, 2010
haHA.

SUCK IT people who said our whinging was pointless!

Who ever said shitfitting for weeks straight never solved anything?

I'm EXTREMELY doubtful this is as good as it sounds, but I'm still pleased.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
What's that they say about getting away with raising taxes by 5%? Raise them by 10% initially, then agree to reduce to a 5% increase after "listening to the voting public".

(Edit: gais gais SimCity doesn't need to be online either! trolololol)

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Kudos to Microsoft if this turns out true. There still might be hope for that industry. I only believe it if I see it though. I'm a PC gamer, so I'm not planing on getting either of the next gen consoles (none of the exclusives sold me to such an investment so far).
As PC-gamer I've seen quite the DRM bullshit, forced online requirements and plain broken offline modes. I really hope for you console guys that you are spared these worst parts of PC-gaming.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
If I do decide to buy a new console over switching to PC I still see no reason not to walk out of the shop with a PS4 and whatever-the-difference-in-price-is-for-the-UK-which-will-very-unfairly-not-be-as-much-as-$100.

IDS3Remix

Jun 10, 2011
Suddenly Giantbomb is down, and Kotaku is reporting the rumor as fact. Wonder how this will turn out.