Microsoft Drops Xbox One DRM Restrictions - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Drops Xbox One DRM Restrictions - UPDATED

It is now confirmed that Microsoft has reversed its highly contentious Xbox One DRM policies, dropping the requirement for a 24-hour internet check-in and restrictions on used game trade-ins.

UPDATE: In a message that just went live on Xbox.com [http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update], Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business President Don Mattrick confirmed that the Xbox One will do away with internet check-ins and allow unlimited game trading, sharing and reselling. Region locks are out, and downloaded games will be playable even while offline, although they cannot be shared or resold.

"Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One," Mattrick said. "You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world."

"We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity," he continued. "While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds."

It's a huge change in direction, especially in light of Microsoft's apparently unshakeable commitment to a connected future just a week ago at E3. Further details and fine print will likely come into the picture over the coming weeks and months but for now, this is nothing short of a breathtaking turnaround.

Original Post: Microsoft got hammered badly at E3 for its restrictive Xbox One policies, which mandate a connection to the internet at least once every 24 hours and impose strict conditions on how you can share and trade your games. But now Giant Bomb has reported a strong rumor that it will drop most of those requirements in the face of massive and sustained blowback from fans.

If the rumor is true, Microsoft will do away with the always-online requirement, game discs will work as they do in the Xbox 360, downloaded games will function even if the system is offline, games will be fully tradeable and region locking will be eliminated. It's quite a turnaround after the company put so much effort into defending the console but there's no question that it was taking a hammering at the hands of Sony and the PlayStation 4.

It's just a rumor at this point and Microsoft has not yet commented. We'll update when we find out more.

Source: Giant Bomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/]

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Sounds too good to be true. Parts of this might turn out to be true, but it just seems too perfect that all of it goes away so soon.

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
I called it! Behold the truth which I spake:

Reeve said:
When the Xbox One launches I bet Microsoft will reveal that the connect once every 24 hours requirement is only temporary. Does anyone remember Assassin's Creed 2's DRM?
This could be a case of poisoning us with hope a la Bane. I hope that is true because if there's one thing I would enjoy: It is seeing Microsoft fail. :)

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Please be true. This will be a day to rejoice for the costumer has won with it's pitch forks and flaming touches!!! If true.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Hoo boy. Once they do this they'll probably strip away everything else that was crappy with it as well. Damage is already done though it seems.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Still requires Kinect? No thanks. :/
Yeah, that's still going to keep it out of the hands of active duty personnel.

The rest? Yeah, that sounds far to rational and reasonable for the Microsoft of the past few years.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
If this is true then MS has time to try and recover from that god awful showcase really. I mean, they would still have a hard time since it's only launching in 21 countries, but this could be one less burden for them. Now what also needs to happen is for Don Mattrick, Major Nelson, and Yusuf Mehdi to shut up.
While we are in this dreamland why don't we get rid of Steve Ballmer as well, and make the Kinect a peripheral again. XD

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Still requires Kinect? No thanks. :/
Yeah, as much as I would really love to continue being able to play the Halo franchise, since I've been with it from the beginning, the requirement for Kinect is just... It's too much. Remove that, and you remove $100 to $150 off the price tag, and I'm yours.

But I'm still leaning PS4 as of now.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Well well well, it seems as if the MS people are starting to feel the fire from the community.

This song seems apt for them right now.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011

But I thought all those were fundamentally necessary in order to make the console work properly. You're telling me Microsoft could just (gasp) turn it off all along?

Well it's good to hear Microsoft (might) be listening to the gaming community and/or reason.

However, this does make all those arguments from Xbone supporters defending all these restrictions seem somewhat funny in retrospect.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Still wouldn't buy it. They should have done it to start with.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Mumorpuger said:
Maybe they should change the name to the Xbox One Eighty.
Hawwww! Good one! :)

OT: If this is true, this is going to be a great thing.

I still won't buy one (see: Mandatory Kinect), but it would be great nonetheless.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
I'm not going to be buying a console this generation anyway, but if I was, it wouldn't be the Xbone. They already showed what they want to do, and there is nothing stopping them from reimplementing it later.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Is there a rumour saying they'll teach their people to not say stupid stuff in public? That would help.