Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Well, then.....that wasn't handled very well.

You'd think by this point, the game industry would've figured this out: regardless of how you feel about always-on DRM, DON'T FUCKING TALK ABOUT IT ON A PUBLIC FORUM. All you're gonna do is piss people off.

But I'm not too concerned with that right now. Microsoft still has to sell the damn thing to me, and as of now I don't want any of the next-gen consoles.

Slyaap

Feb 19, 2013
RedDeadFred said:
Slyaap said:
Ok....I'll deal with it. I've decided not to buy the next version of the Xbox.

Dealt with.
Couldn't have said it better myself. On the upside of this, they've made it very easy for me to decide which next-gen console I will be buying.

I don't understand how they could possibly thought that this was a good idea.

Captcha: poetic justice
I think captcha is looking into the future and seeing the nextbox absolutely flop due this always online bull shit.

Yes, the next gen console war is already over and won as far as I'm concerned. Many other people I've spoken to feel the same way too.
But let me make it clear, it's not that this one guy has said enough in this one statement to put me off Microsoft, it's just the latest in a long line of fan disrespect.
MS consistently treat gamers like dirt, and while I don't believe Sony are much better I've personally found the PS3 experience: Games, DLC, Interactivity and Customer Support to be deserving of my loyalty.

But that's me

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Why do we just have to take the industry's shit? Surely we must have some power as consumers?

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Kargathia said:
Customers who don't like what you're selling won't buy it. #dealwithit.
Yes they will. They'll buy it and complain anyway. Look at SimCity. #sadbuttrue
I could perhaps consider that possibility if the nexbox was the first next gen console, but it won't. The PS4 will come out earlier this time, capitalize on all the early adopters and start building a userbase in the most optimal way possible, only having to compete with the WiiU, which is such a pile of dogshit that noone wants to develop for it. All it needs is a handful of killer apps in order to completely crush Microsoft. Why would anyone switch from PS4 to Xbox 6 months or a year down the line? Or, if you are an early adopter, why would you skip the PS4 and wait for the Xbox? I honestly see no reason, unless you like Halo so much that you are willing to buy a console with always online DRM and Xbox live fees just for that. They are really shooting themselves in the foot this time.

Sep 3, 2011
Hold on let me just look... Hmm yes im still a PC gamer.

I do really like to watch the net rip into someone, always good to watch.
I also like memes.

This gunu be gud! Ueh! he!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Carnagath said:
The PS4 will come out earlier this time
Since you're basing your whole statement on this idea, I'm curious as to how you got this announcement before any news agency and before Microsoft has even announced their console. There's no evidence in terms of release dates and no reason to believe that Microsoft won't try and be competitive. If you do have a crystal ball I'd be interested to know.

However, the reality is that gamers are notoriously bad consumers, and we'll be too busy screaming "shut up and take my money" to care about the flaws until after the fact.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
MrGalactus said:
Why do we just have to take the industry's shit? Surely we must have some power as consumers?
At this point, the only way to win is to not play at all.

The industry has forgotten that they are competing against not only the games released this year, but all games released ever. I think gamers have forgotten that as well, but in times like these, looking up some old classics might be a good idea. Old games don't have online DRM, and usually feel like they were built with a lot more love and care than current titles.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Carnagath said:
The PS4 will come out earlier this time
Since you're basing your whole statement on this idea, I'm curious as to how you got this announcement before any news agency and before Microsoft has even announced their console. There's no evidence in terms of release dates and no reason to believe that Microsoft won't try and be competitive. If you do have a crystal ball I'd be interested to know.

However, the reality is that gamers are notoriously bad consumers, and we'll be too busy screaming "shut up and take my money" to care about the flaws until after the fact.
I suppose you are looking a direct quote of a release date from the companies themselves. Such a thing indeed does not exist yet, but Sony seem to be considerably ahead of their hardware development cycle than Microsoft, judging from the amount of information that they have officially released about the system (which is, well, everything, apart from the console's form). It is also widely said that the PS4 will be released within 2013 (Christmas season) by many gaming-related content creators and publications, including tweets by developers and people like Totalbiscuit. Unfortunately I don't have the time to compile a host of links for you right now, so if you choose to dismiss all that as completely baseless rumor until you see something on Sony's website, then that's your choice.

Also, my argument is based on the idea that noone without a rock solid high speed connection will buy the Xbox, period, and out of those that do live in Metropolitan areas with great connections and no bandwidth limits, I still don't see why one would choose to buy something that doesn't allow used games, is held hostage to Microsoft's server tempers (which have brought us inspiring technological marvels such as the RROD and GFWL) and will brick your entire game library once it is discontinued, instead of something that doesn't do all those things. I think it's a pretty valid question.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
MrGalactus said:
It's because they figure the vocal minority isn't big enough to affect their sales and that in the long run we'd cave in and buy their crap and join the masses. As for myself, I just shrug, give them the finger and plug in my PS2.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Kargathia said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Kargathia said:
Customers who don't like what you're selling won't buy it. #dealwithit.
Yes they will. They'll buy it and complain anyway. Look at SimCity. #sadbuttrue
Except that I'd be extremely surprised if SimCity turns out to be profitable. At this point it's safe to say that it'll be selling way below expectancy.
Er, isn't SimCity around 50 million in revenue already? They've more than recovered the cost. Though I won't be surprised at all if it fails to meet the ROI they wanted.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
my vacuum cleaner CANT work without power
my games consoles COULD work without the internet
....there is a difference

also if the power goes off i dont then have to wait 30seconds for it to turn on and then start from cleaning back from the beginning.

Apr 24, 2008
There's something really funny about people using twitter to endanger their own jobs. I reckon it's probably because the people doing it always seem to be under the impression that they're being smart at that moment... and they be wrong.

The analogies are terribad.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Pfft, "analysts are still wondering why the Durango failed to outsell the PS4" - No headline ever

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
"competition sells a hoover that doesn't need electricity. I buy that instead of the competitions"

#Ihatehashtags

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Desert Punk said:
Starke said:
Desert Punk said:
Starke said:
Desert Punk said:
Any bets on how long before he gets his ass fired?
He won't. Who do you think came up with the idea to make it always online?
When it comes to Microsoft, there is always a bigger fish.

And with how small their gaming sector is, I can promise you he really doesnt want to piss off one of those bigger fish. And running his mouth like a brain dead chimp will do exactly that.
The other side of that is, he's not likely to actually piss them off with something like this. Bigger fish, bigger concerns. Now, if the console dies on the shelf because of the connection requirement, or gets marked as unfit for sale in Europe because of it... then he might be looking for a new job.
Ah but you see, this doesnt effect only their gaming department like the only online thing would.

This is a microsoft exec running his mouth and being a douchebag to the public, people wont really care what part of microsoft he belongs to, he is microsoft and thats all they will care about, and that can create a signifiganr PR stink that someone has to deal with.
Except, so far as it goes, he really can't create a "significant PR stink". At least not so far as the people he answers to are concerned.

Here's the thing, and you seem to be missing this part. He works for Microsoft. The people he answers to came up in an era before the internet had the influence it does today. In fact, his comments say he did too. That he can say whatever stupid shit comes into his head there because no one cares.

Anyone who got into their position before, say, about five years ago, and this will look like a very, very, minor incident. The kind that'll be forgotten inside a week.

And, you know what? They're right. PR's turned out a formulaic mea culpa, and the story's dead. You may hate the guy, but his job isn't in any danger right now.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
Slyaap said:
Ok....I'll deal with it. I've decided not to buy the next version of the Xbox.

Dealt with.

(I hope this isn't too low content, I'm awfully new at this)
Pretty much this, if it's always online I won't be getting the new Xbox, consider me having 'dealt with it'.

Oh, and usually a couple sentences is good enough to avoid a low content post, as far as I've seen. Welcome to the site bud/

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
While it is true that electricity does go out, we NEED electricity to power our devices. We don't and shouldn't NEED an always-online connection to play games. They don't have to put this in, and it inconveniences people (their customers) when they do this. It's really quite simple. Rather than say "Why are you upset about this? Internet connections are stable these days!", one should say "Why the hell do you need to put this in in the first place?"

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I actually agree with Mr. Orth. Every time I want to play a video game, whether it be a PC game or a console game, I'm connected to the internet. I don't need to be connected, but I am anyway. Always online is a complete non-issue for me.

The one thing I will say though is that it's crucial that any always online system is stress tested thoroughly, and you have to make sure you have next to no downtime. That was the biggest mistake EA made with their Sim City launch, their systems were completely inadequate to handle the huge volume of people interacting with their network.

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
Desert Punk said:
Starke said:
And, you know what? They're right. PR's turned out a formulaic mea culpa, and the story's dead. You may hate the guy, but his job isn't in any danger right now.
Except there is one article, posted here, who has confirmed with one reliable source that this retard no longer works at microsoft, and are working at confirming it with another source.

So much for his job not being in any danger.
I wouldn't be surprised. But let's get something clear, so long as the console still comes out with always-on DRM, the sacking has no PR value whatsoever. The only way Microsoft will dig its way out of this hole is to make a press release not only apologizing for their (ex)employee's opinions, but also stating that they listened to the objections and have altered the design to allow for an offline mode.

Otherwise this is just a case of silencing a particularly douchy employee.