Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

BurnOutBrighter

Nov 8, 2007
Front page on Reddit and all over the big news sites now. HUGE PR disaster for MS.

Oh, and there's also <url=http://www.quickmeme.com/Always-Online-Adam-Orth/?upcoming>the meme!

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
"Why on earth would I live there"
Try a posh accent on that sentence :p

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Alleged_Alec said:
Wow. Nice and douchy way to alienate the fans, Microsoft.
One man represents an entire company. Not even a spokesman at that.

Edit: I couldn't help but jump in with my own Always On Adam Orth meme picture. [http://qkme.me/3tpnkx]

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
Lost job after publicly demonstrating contempt for employer's customers? #DealWithIt

That is what should happen in cases like this. When you publicly denigrate the customers of the company that employs you, no matter how small or large the percentage of them, you should lose your job. Why should the company continue to employ someone who has done something which could very likely reduce sales of the company's hot new product?

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
"I produce a product. I will narrow my audience and alienate potential customers for no goddamn reason."

God, this is beyond foolish. How do rise to that level in a company with that kind of incompetence? Also, that vacuam analogy doesn't work for several reasons:
a)Very few people care about brand recognition with vacuums. There are exactly three consoles coming out next-gen, and distinction is very important.
b)You are producing a luxury item. People don't mind bullshit when using a vacuum cleaner because they didn't buy it to feel luxurious. A luxury item needs to feel convenient.
c)If the power goes out, noone is going to blame the vacuum company. People will blame you when they can't use the product they paid for, and they won't be able to use the product they paid for at all times.
And, my personal favorite,d)There has never been a vacuum cleaner that didn't require being plugged in. Video game consoles? Never needed an internet connection before, and they don't really need one know. This is like building a remote control that requires an electrical connection; fine, you never have to change the batteries, but you've kind of defeated the purpose.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
What an asshole.
Microsoft already had an uphill battle with me because I had to replace two 360s after the warranties expired and two at the start because red ring but an always online requirement would make it easy for me.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Jandau said:
thethird0611 said:
I have a feeling most comments on this article are going to be directed toward Microsoft because of the title... instead of the Exec himself.

There's a difference between an exec like that saying it (who probably doesnt play video games), and the corporation saying it.
No, there isn't, not really. People in high corporate positions making public statements directly related to the line of business their company is involved in will always be interpreted as making semi-official statements in the company's name. This is a reality of their work and they should be aware of this and refrain from making such statements to avoid it reflecting badly on the company in question.

You might say that while this is true, it's still not fair, but it is fair. Who do you think makes corporate policy? The execs. So when an exec makes a statement regarding the business practices of his company, even if it's a personal statement, it still reflects his own standpoint and views, which in turn shape the overall corporate policy. A douche doesn't suddenly stop being a douche when he goes to work.
I have to highly disagree with you, because people making personal statements are not official statements. Let me give you an example of how this statement could be a very personal statement.

Researcher- Executive Board, we are going to lose sales if we make the console always online.
Execs - Our stockholders see it as needed, can we make it work.
Researcher - Sorry sir, we will make less money in the long run.
Exec- Fine, cut it out.
Exec on his personal twitter - I dont get why yall are so dramatic about it.

Its about intention. If you cant take a personal opinion (which he clearly shows its personal, from his replys, which if it was really about the company, he would of said something more professional), then you need to step back and think.

An unprofessional exec is an unprofessional exec. An unprofessional exec does not speak for his company on his personal twitter account, unless he states it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
There is only one thing that is always online, and that is my PC. nothing else is connected to the internet.

That being said, i find it hilariuos that when people scream about PR bullshit and thne get a straight dela with it answer they scream even louder. i applaud him on having balls to just go out and said deal with it, like as if noone else know this is their stance anyway.
World is going online, like it or not, and you are going to have to get plugged in or go live in a cave. deal with it.

c)If the power goes out, noone is going to blame the vacuum company. People will blame you when they can't use the product they paid for, and they won't be able to use the product they paid for at all times.
if electricity goes out, you dont clame the cacuum creator, but if YOUR INTERNET goes out, you blame microsoft? double standarts FTW?

d)There has never been a vacuum cleaner that didn't require being plugged in.
yes there was, it was called a broom.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Valid concerns are "drama"?
Seems like a good person to fire for damaging your company reputation.

And please, don't give him the excuse of "it's his private Twitter account".
In the always on world he so loves there's not much privacy left.
If he wanted to keep it low profile he'd best taken it offline, and he knows it.

As for the little discussion posted by the OP: Does he not understand logic or is he accidentally wearing his Trolling +20, Listening -15 shirt?

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Sony CEO Kaz Hirai, what do you have to say about this?

Hello?

You ther-

(Apparently it's a parody account, but funny nonetheless)

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Ken Sapp said:
Lost job after publicly demonstrating contempt for employer's customers? #DealWithIt
LOL, good one! Totally agree. Plus; nice Kenshin avatar! ^_^x

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Strazdas said:
if electricity goes out, you dont clame the cacuum creator, but if YOUR INTERNET goes out, you blame microsoft? double standarts FTW?
It would be double standards iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiif the next Xbox required, due to laws of nature, to have an internet connection to work.

It doesn't. Internet connection is an extra requirement put there to protect profits

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
'Christ, what an A-Hole'.

I just put my mobile phone into airplane mode. It's completely offline. IT STILL PLAYS GAMES.

Last gen launch (X360 vs PS3) it was MS being humble and Sony being gigantic arrogant pricks. Looks like the tables are turned.

This happens any time MS gets a little leverage.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Strazdas said:
There is only one thing that is always online, and that is my PC. nothing else is connected to the internet.

That being said, i find it hilariuos that when people scream about PR bullshit and thne get a straight dela with it answer they scream even louder. i applaud him on having balls to just go out and said deal with it, like as if noone else know this is their stance anyway.
World is going online, like it or not, and you are going to have to get plugged in or go live in a cave. deal with it.

d)There has never been a vacuum cleaner that didn't require being plugged in.
yes there was, it was called a broom.
i think you missed the point slightly. if your internet goes down, thats your fault, not microsofts, what people are getting pissed over is that even if YOUR internet works, that doesn't mean there's does. everyone who tried playing simcity had working internet connections, but EA servers couldn't handle it. that makes it their fault ALMOST entirely (save for the people who actually bought the game). however as stupid as it is, i do agree that at least he had the balls to outright say it, rather than try to disguise it as a 'customer service' move.

also, a broom is not a vacuum cleaner. a broom moves the mess, a vacuum cleaner tries to suck in the mess. they are both cleaning products, but are not both vacuum cleaners.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Norrdicus said:
Sony CEO Kaz Hirai, what do you have to say about this?

Hello?

You ther-

I skiped the last console generation entirely and was likely to do the same with this coming one(PC Gamer). But after seeing this Sony CEO troll the MS exec, Im really tempted to get a PS4. This, ladies and gentlemen, is how you troll. Not be reciting some tired meme you saw on 4chan 3 yrs ago, but with the actual application of wit. And Sony CEO's profile picture was a nice touch. 10/10.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Andy Orth loses his job at Microsoft #dealwithit

Please make it happen Twitter, should the opportunity arise, it will make my day.

Oh and make room Sony, I'm jumping aboard.