Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
ProtoChimp said:
Adam Orth you sir are a ****. What are you? You're a ****, yes you are. You live in a cunty cottage and you drive a cunty car.
Desert Punk said:
SecondPrize said:
Desert Punk said:
Also, I'd like to add that this is also an article from Yesterday with another Source basically saying the same thing, even offering specifics: http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-st-470062456 which this was apparently a reaction to.
"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."
Calling it now. The next console war is already over, congratulations Sony. I probably shouldn't discount the idiocy of consumers but I'm sticking to this prediction.
I think you meant to quote Dexter there... I am not even sure how you managed to do that.

But I must agree, I will be chosing Sony over Microsoft this next gen thanks to this idiots antics as well as Always Online
I snipped a bunch of stuff to keep it small, not sure what I did either. Anywho, yeah this guy is an ass but it's certainly the always online requirement that will do it for me, should it come to pass. I'm not certain i'll get a ps4 but I'll want a console at some point unless fighting game devs embrace the pc and I won't be "dealing with" something which is unusable if my internet goes sideways.

Vetta E-dom

Mar 10, 2012
Wow this got out of hand, He was joking around with one of his friends on twitter. Yeah it sounds horrible out of context, but he was honestly just making stupid statements and messing with his friend.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
My internet is shite due to the area i live in and uk goverment isn't going to be fixing that any time soon.
So guess i wont be getting the next microsoft console after all then :(

Bonus points for the douschey attitude and crappy metaphors.

Webb Myers

May 17, 2010
Two most likely scenarios to come from this:

1- Today or Monday at the latest, Mr Orth will issue a statement about how he now "gets the drama" along with vague promises that Microsoft is re-evaluating the requirements of their next generation console.

2- A senior exec will decide that it's too expensive to re-evaluate things at this point, and it's cheaper to cut an executive loose.

Odds on which is more likely?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Wow, Sony have an amazing marketing department. This is an advert for the PS4 right? No? Goodness me!

I guess everyone who was on the fence about which console to choose will have an easier decision. Microsoft will just have to deal with it.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
the_green_dragon said:
teqrevisited said:
Well at least now I wont consider getting whatever their console ends up being. My PC doesn't care if it's offline and neither do I.
Except you can't play Diablo 3 or Simcity single player.....
True, but I play neither. Partially for that very reason.

Even dismissing the fact that fast, reliable internet connections aren't universally available across even the most developed countries there are still a lot of people who just want to play singleplayer games or just be offline to begin with. Forcing someone to be online to play singleplayer components of games is insane.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
the_green_dragon said:
Ok Ok, I didn't know Diablo 3 could be played offline, I stopped caring after they announced always online DRM shit so I did't pay attention.

Nazulu said:
A little bleak don't you think? I doubt all gaming company's want their games to always be online, plus those always online games won't have servers running them forever and will probably be cracked eventually.
My every game will be online statement is merely something which COULD happen.... one day. maybe, but the point is a lot of games which I like are starting to incorprate crap like this.

Dead Space 3 with their micro transactions.
The countless games with online passes, ect

ALSO I would like to mention back in the day I could buy a PC game and install it on all my computers and when I was done I could give/lend/sell it to a friend, now all my PC games are digital downloads and I can't do that anymore. I miss those days
Well I WON'T let it happen :)

Is the Dead Space 3 micro-transactions really that bad? I remember it was a popular discussion here before but I was too busy at the time to look into it.

I also miss the days with total freedom, but unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't care for paying for their entertainment so I can understand some policy's must be put in place.

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
Nazulu said:
I also miss the days with total freedom, but unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't care for paying for their entertainment so I can understand some policy's must be put in place.
I understand the measures are needed to fight pirates but I was OK with having the CD in all the time, I just like owning the physical product and being able to do with it as I pleased, which is why I like consoles so much, I OWN the game and once I'm done I can sell it and buy a new game. With PC I'm kind of stuck with whatever crap game I bought regardless of how much I regret the purchase.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Longstreet said:
Also since i do not own a Xbox, any xbox owners may correct me on this but;
Since you need Xbox live (or, the being able to go online thing) and this new one is always online. Don't they FORCE you to use XBOX live? Especially since Xbox live is a subscription model (what? 15 euro's a month or so?) i can't see that go over too well either

Or am i completely missing the board and is the online they talk about different from Xbox live?
To play games online you need xbox live gold which you have to pay for £40 for 12 months (or 13 month cards which are easy to find) which works out to slightly over £3 a month

but to do anything else you dont need gold or a silver account (free) to play single player we can be offline unless the game itself says otherwise and i cant think of any xbox game that does it, somone will correct on that and find one.

but i really have no idea where you got your information from dude

EDIT

on thet note if this does turn out to be always online (which it seems it very much will be) are they going to have the nerve to charge us for a subscription?

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
So one second everyone's trying to take the moral high ground against that Machinima video and less than a day later people start doing this shit over a few tweets.

This is why nobody likes gamers.

Not to say people shouldn't be allowed to criticize or any of that shit, but this is a lot of words that I can't say unless I'm looking for some mod wrath.

EDIT: Also someone out there is going to say that it's "all in good fun", and they would be wrong.

EDIT2: And anyone involved in this has lost their right to complain about someone calling gamers childish. If you don't want to be called childish you shouldn't act like middle schoolers.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Norrdicus said:
Sony CEO Kaz Hirai, what do you have to say about this?

Hello?

You ther-

I'm still looking into the Nextbox if it will be good but that was the biggest burn I have seen in days.

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
My internet connection is great and 99% of the time it is working correctly and my PC, my PS3 and several other devices all have no problem staying online. My Xbox 360 on the other hand only ever connects whenever it bloody well feels like it - 70% of the time it decides that it cant find any kind of internet connection despite everything being fine on every other device. I would never have brought any kind of always online console anyway, but especially not if its being made by the same people who couldnt make their old console connect to the internet reliably. The always online isnt even top of my list for why I wont be getting a Nextbox either (Im looking at you Kinect).

If I do decide to take part in the next console generation it will certainly be with Sony - not Microsoft.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Not entirely sure Microsoft will want to hold on to Mr. Orthhole here.

How to alienate people may be his own personal pet project, but doing it as an employee of a corporation much invested in our vested interest right before they come for all our monies like zombies go for brRrraaaaains! is a pretty braindead way of manifesting hipster disconnect, no matter who you are.

If that's Microsoft's official stance, well, good luck to them as I see what's happening in PS4 land, dancing, and skipping, and singing and frolicking all my merry, partly off-line way.

What's with the captcha? It looks like some sort of intelligence test today.

'; drop tab le users;

really?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
No I will not "deal with it" I will not be buying your product or any other product that requires me to be online all the fucking time.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
"The mobile phone reception in the area I live in is spotty and unreliable. I will not buy a mobile phone," he added.
I bet this guy even thinks he's clever to use that as an example of a fallacy. He's not even trying to imply that buying a mobile phone will solve the problem.

Everyone has made an example so I will also: does a gameboy from 1989 NEED to be connected to the internet?

CriticalMiss said:
Wow, Sony have an amazing marketing department. This is an advert for the PS4 right? No? Goodness me!
You fool! You just provided with them damage control! Microsoft will say that Sony hacked his twitter account and made him say stupid shit.

Nazulu said:
Is the Dead Space 3 micro-transactions really that bad? I remember it was a popular discussion here before but I was too busy at the time to look into it.
Can't speak from personal experience (I didn't play Dead Space 3). But the micro-transactions sort of enhanced the corporate nature of the game when EA had stated that "Dead Space 3 needs to sell 5 million copies to be financially viable."

So we sort of inferred the rest of their thought process was: "We can't sell five million copies? Micron-transactions should be able to cover for that!"

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Well, looks like I'm going to be using the extra money to invest in a proper gaming PC, and any leftover money to buy more classic NES and SNES games for my collection.

Riobux said:
Edit: I couldn't help but jump in with my own Always On Adam Orth meme picture. [http://qkme.me/3tpnkx]
I read that thing twelve times and I still don't get what the joke is on that one.

Is there someone going to be on the train line getting hit?

Or, is there just one guy always driving the train on the line and it will derail because of it?

I don't find either funny.

If not that, then you must have a very dry sense of humor, definitely not very straight forward.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Before we thrash this guy any more I'd like to show you all this:

Yes, he was an ass. No, I am still looking into this console. Now hopefully he will learn his damned lesson and we can beg for a miracle that this doesn't actually happen.