Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kargathia said:
Customers who don't like what you're selling won't buy it. #dealwithit.
Yes they will. They'll buy it and complain anyway. Look at SimCity. #sadbuttrue

thethird0611 said:
I have a feeling most comments on this article are going to be directed toward Microsoft because of the title... instead of the Exec himself.

There's a difference between an exec like that saying it (who probably doesnt play video games), and the corporation saying it.
To be fair, there's so much control over these guys that it's hard not to see this kind of thing as okay with Microsoft.

On the other hand, most people probably didn't even read the thread, from the looks of things.

Sectan said:
Is there some law that if you're a high up in a gaming company under criticism you have to act like an ass to potential customers?
It's not a law, it's just a suggestion.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Looks like Microsoft has taken the "Ninja Theory/Bioware" method of PR. Nice work, that surely won't blow up in your face.

You know, it's easy to talk when you don't have internet problems or just prefer not to hand over 50$ to be screamed obscenities at by 13 year old boys.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Well, guess what console I won't be getting unless they give me a free super fast internet connection without bandwidth limits that never fails. At all.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009

Capcha: Absolute Zero.... the answer to how much respect i have for this man

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
One problem with his analogy. If you want to keep your house tidy, you probably need a vacuum cleaner. If you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire and no gas, you probably need a cell phone. There is no situation ever where I will ever need a console no matter how much I want to play exclusive military dubstep zombie shooter X.

Comparing everyday necessities to an entertainment device is frivalous at best and foolish at worst.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Someone this thick is creative director? Wow. He's going to find out how unpopular his opinion is and then learn to shut up. Deal with that you selfish jerk.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Artificially Prolonged said:
All I'll say is this

If my tv can't connect to the internet, I can still watch tv.
If my kindle can't connect to the internet, I can still read books.
If my phone can't connect to the internet, I can still use it to call people.
If my mp3 player can't connect to the internet, I can still listen to music.
If the nextbox can't connect to the internet... What use is it then?
Exactly. Except my TV isn't hooked up to cable, but....

I seriously can't believe anyone would want their device to require an internet connection to work unless that's a primary function.

I do want my console connected to the internet full-time. I don't want to be punished because it can't be.

And honestly, I won't buy any console which has always-online DRM. If Microsoft does this, then Steam is definitely the better alternative.

And this guy ain't helping the case any. It looks like he's reacting to it as though the rumour is true and we have reason to worry.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Desert Punk said:
Also, I'd like to add that this is also an article from Yesterday with another Source basically saying the same thing, even offering specifics: http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-st-470062456 which this was apparently a reaction to.
"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."
Calling it now. The next console war is already over, congratulations Sony. I probably shouldn't discount the idiocy of consumers but I'm sticking to this prediction.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
ROFL if he gets to keep his job after saying something that stupid i will be surprised.

The sad part is this really will not affect sales of the new Xbox much. As the informed gamers among us is far less than the ignorant masses.

At the least i can cross that platform off my list.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Adam Orth you sir are a ****. What are you? You're a ****, yes you are. You live in a cunty cottage and you drive a cunty car.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
As someone who lives in a rural area, this really bugs me. My internet connection is so patchy that I can't play multiplayer games, updates take forever and I had to hide my online status because it would bug my friends when I had to keep logging back on. An always online Xbox would be unplayable for me.

As for the analogies...
Yes, you can blame other businesses for not providing consistent power, phone or internet connection. BUT this is ignoring the reality of the situation. If I give a friend a Blu-ray and he only has a DVD player, I can't then get all annoyed that he doesn't have the right technology.
A good business wouldn't try to reduce their own potential customer base by providing something that a significant proportion can't even use. It's just perverse and I hope better minds are working on the mysterious console...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
This guy has one heck of a skewed logical view. When the power goes out do you blame the vacuum company? No but when the servers go down I'm going to blame the controlling asshole who put always online DRM in the device. When my net goes down and the reason I can't play a single player game I'll blame the asshole, not my ISP. When the game I bought isn't playable because of server maintenance I'm going to blame the asshole again. When I can't sell the game I'm going to blame the asshole some more.

Seriously if you buy the new Xbox and it has this always on crap you are letting them get away with screwing you and others.

However I know fanboys and people who "Must have" their next favorite title will cave in favor of boycotting this insane act on their part.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Desert Punk said:
Nazulu said:
Someone this thick is creative director? Wow. He's going to find out how unpopular his opinion is and then learn to shut up. Deal with that you selfish jerk.
Considering this story is being picked up by...everywhere... this guy dug his own grave

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52760187&postcount=4354

And you know its bad when even the official xbox magazine starts to cover it

http://www.oxm.co.uk/51901/microsoft-creative-director-defends-always-online-consoles-trades-blows-with-bioware/
Yeah, that looks like it's going to bite him in the ass.

Even though he's stupid I don't think he deserves that much publicity. Though, the publishers/developers should have come out awhile ago to say the rumors aren't true. What the hell are they waiting for?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...Do people just not think anymore? I mean fucking hell...

I don't even have to analyze what's wrong with that do I. Do I? We all know this is an jabbering mongoloid from the sperg planet.

I need to go lie down, people like this make me exhausted at the world.

Obligatory: "april fools was days ago!"

captainaweshum

May 1, 2010
Well. As much as I loved the 360, I am on the fence with whether to choose the PS4 or NextBox. I am not going to get hysterical or nothing. I suggest waiting until later this month when the machine is unveiled and if we don't like it...*shrug* I'm gonna get a PS4.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
What a muppet If this crap doesn?t get him fired then Microsoft is truly losing the plot.
I have a somewhat pricey internet plan that is one of the best available in my country an ya know what my xbox still cuts out every now an then. none of my other devices have any problems Just my xbox, an always online console has got to be the worst idea I've ever heard. Well it would have been if I haven?t already found out about windows 8.

And on a completely unrelated note - Long live Linux :p