Microsoft Grabs Rise of the Tomb Raider in Xbox Exclusive - Update

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
yeah, just a huge slap in the face.
obvious that in the TR forum is a huge uproar. i really hope CD will change their tune and release it on all platforms.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Well, that kind of stinks. I'm not too disappointed, as I felt Tomb Raider was rather underwhelming, but it doesn't seem to make much sense to suddenly limit the audience of the sequel to an "underselling" game.
Microsoft must have put forth a LOT of money.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Oh I am loving this desperation, a real sign of the end times, but, poor Square Enix, math is so hard.

Square Enix expected 14.9 million retail game sales from North America and Europe combined in its six-monthly forecast last September.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-26-tomb-raider-has-sold-3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

Xbox One surpasses 5 million units sold-in worldwide
http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/17/5626130/xbox-one-sales-5-million

The XBoned better buy this twice, else Square Enix will be declaring the whole mess a grand failure. Oh consoles, your declining years will be entertaining at least. Anyway, I will wait for the "exclusive" to wear out on this one, let the XBoned beta test it for a while, pick it up on a Steam sale once the time comes, will likely be fast once they need to get more units pushed to make up for the "deal" they made with Microsoft.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
They were very careful with their wording, it may very well be just a "2015 Holiday Exclusive" As the way they worded it it leaves it open to be released 2016+.

On top of that MS track record of keeping 3rd party exclusives on the Xbox isn't very good.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Six months after release we will see reports of Squeenix crying about it not having made enough money or selling enough copies and not having a clue why.

Here is a hint Squeenix, the only way this could have been a poorer decision would have been to make it WiiU exclusive.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Ah well. I'll just go ahead and deal without it. To be honest, I'm less than enthused by what I've seen so far anyway.

Granted, that's true of everything on both PS4 and XB1 so far, but ...

(I'm standing by my basic premise of "I'm trying to decide between buying a PS4 and not buying a PS4. The XB1 has never entered the equation.")

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
This baffles me. Square Enix was, not too long ago, complaining about Tomb Raider's sales, now they stand to lose sales. I was planning on getting this, but seeing as how I don't want to put down 400 more dollars to get an XBoxOne, I guess this is one sale Square Enix won't get. I imagine it won't be that different for many others.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013

Whelp. Square Enix is a bunch of idiots
I wonder who's gonna get fired when it doesn't sell enough copies.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I love this line:

"Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider... We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past."

Yeah mate... and your "friends" at Sony have facilitated that potential since 1996;
I especially like that he ends that paragraph basically saying "Microsoft has never given us anything before but this time they offered us a truckload of cash.. uh I mean a truckload of 'support'.. yeah, that'll stick"

"It's the best thing for the Tomb Raider Sequel."

Yeah, making a franchise that has never, ever, been strongly associated to the Xbox brand exclusive to said brand, which is also the biggest under-performer this generation with the least console sales. Oh and please tell us, Crystal Dynamics, how choosing to develop for the less powerful console will make the game better.

I literally have never played a Tomb Raider game and I think this move is completely fucking stupid.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
*agitated eye twitch*

Y'know, the Lara Croft in the 2013 Tomb Raider game was one of the best female protagonists I ever got to play in a video game. The game wasn't perfect, but all the way I was rooting for a girl who manages to survive whatever shit's thrown at her, and eventually taking her fight back to the enemy. Her character was a vast improvement to the past games of the series, and I was really looking forward to play another game featuring her.

I am never buying a console. I've already got a gaming machine known as the PC, I can't aim a gun on a console controller properly, and I just don't think consoles are worth the money to me; especially not just for one or two good games on the platform that aren't available for the PC.
If this is Microsoft's attempt to get more people buy an Xbox, they can go fuck themselves. This isn't giving people a good deal, this is a hostage situation. I was lucky enough that I was able to play all of The Last of Us on a friend's PS4, but I know not everyone can find someone with a console just to be able to play exclusive.

It's PC or nothing.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I wonder if they are going to release it on PS4 in Japan. Xbox One doesn't exist here, but I bet they still want someone to buy the game. I'm quite curious.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
This seriously blows, I was looking forward to having it in either PS3 or PS4 as I don't know whether my PC would be able to run it when it inevitably gets a PC release. Well, so far they've lost a sale from me, as much as I love the TR series.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Congratulations Square Enix, you are an honorary winner of the Escapist Bad Idea award

For making your dangerously expensive game exclusive to an unpopular console that has never been associated with the series.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Boy I can't wait to see Sony or someone do this with Sony and no one call them out on it.
Why would they? Sony's doing extremely well. There'd be nothing conspicuous about a third-party studio handing a priced IP like Tomb Raider. People are balking at this announcement precisely because the Xbone has no credibility.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Trishbot said:
Square Enix complains about Tomb Raider "only" selling around 4 million copies.

So they make an exclusive deal with a system that has sold roughly 4-5 million period.

Yeah... this makes zero business sense.
That is just spooky XD There's no way this is gonna work out.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Like others have said, it's a timed exclusive. Everything about it smells of timed exclusive.
Casual Shinji said:
If this isn't a timed exclussive I'm ready to officially declare Square Enix mentally insane. Unless Microsoft gave them the biggest shitton of money, and for a lower tier IP like Tomb Raider that seems doubtful.
Saucycarpdog said:
Most likely timed exclusive. Well its a property war right now. Seems both Sony and Microsoft are snagging up as many exclusive deals as they can.
Y'all keep saying that but...well they said it wasn't even if it feels like theres a good chance of it happening....well somtimes stupid shit happens....

anyway I've already raged enough over this..

The_Waspman said:
Worst thing is, when this game utterly utterly fails to meet even a fraction of their (unrealistic) projected sales figures, they'll probably shelve the franchise permanently.
this is what I'm thinking...even if they time it it wont do as well as they want it too so they'll be like "derp toom ray-der no sell" and kill the fucking franchise....only consolation there is most games don't get past the 3rd one unscathed..BUT STILL

disgruntledgamer said:
They were very careful with their wording, it may very well be just a "2015 Holiday Exclusive" As the way they worded it it leaves it open to be released 2016+.

On top of that MS track record of keeping 3rd party exclusives on the Xbox isn't very good.

[spoiler/]
[/spoiler]
actually I have a theory

BECAUSE this is so utterley stupid and non sensical to the avergae person here, because it makes no sense its actually going to work out GREAT, Tomb Raider will sell copies AND systms in abundance! then it might get released! or something

....well it worked out for the Wii didn't it?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
It seems like the name Crystal Dynamics comes from the decisions they make while on crystal meth...

'Hey Microsoft just dumped some more in front of us and they will give us more if we put it on their obviously better sales, judging by those weird white things they showed us while we snort.'

I was going to grab the PS4 version of this game, but for obvious reasons, I will wait until Uncharted 4 comes out which I actually care about now.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
As a PC gamer who owns most Lara Croft games and who actually enjoyed the previous title a lot. Sincerely: screw you microsoft.
Even if I wanted to buy your frekking XBONE (which I don't), I CAN'T even find one in any store around here up unto next month. That's with being in the middle of Europe, a two hour drive from the place where you made the announcement.

You've already lost the console wars with the bullshit at the start, the weak games on them and the fact that you simply can't buy them in many countries that are FAR from being third-world grade. Places where the PS4 was representing pretty much as soon as it popped up.

But apparently they haven't gotten the message and are now planning to spit in the face of gamers some more by making a sequel to a successful multiplatform an exclusive, thereby hoping that people will buy their crap. Well, simply put: no.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
I believe this is SquarEnix trying to sabotage the Tomb Raider IP. We know that Square hates the Eidos IPs since they were upstaged by them after they bought Eidos.

Once this is out and barely anybody buys it they can say that the IP does not have enough interest from the buying public and can finally justify killing it. Same will happen with Thief and Deus Ex.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
VoidWanderer said:
It seems like the name Crystal Dynamics comes from the decisions they make while on crystal meth...
Zing!

Time will tell if this ends up financially beneficial. Lets hope not.