Microsoft Hints at Pre-Owned Fee For Xbox One Games

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Microsoft Hints at Pre-Owned Fee For Xbox One Games

It's not looking good for fans of used games.

Microsoft has heavily implied that the Xbox successor, dubbed the "Xbox One" in brave defiance of traditional math, will charge users to install pre-owned games. Before we get into the nitty gritty of why that's a horrible, horrible idea, let's see what Microsoft's reps actually said.

Talking to Wired, a Microsoft rep confirmed that, much like PS3 games, Xbox One games will require a mandatory install to the console's 500GB harddrive. That makes sense, the Xbox One is using a Blu Ray drive with much slower read times than traditional a DVD drive. However, unlike PS3 games, once installed, Xbone games can be run without the disc in the drive.

Clearly there has to be some kind of system in place to tie specific discs to specific drives, or else gamers could just pass the discs around, installing them on various systems. That's where things get scary. The Microsoft rep did say that if the disc was used with a second account, on the same console or a different one, the new user would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game, attaching a new copy to their account that they can play without the disc. There was no info on how much this fee will be.

Now I see you eying your torch and/or pitchfork, but let's wait on that for just a moment. The rep's choice of words seems to indicate that, while installing the game to the HDD is mandatory, running it without the disc is not. This could mean that borrowed or rented Xbone games might offer players the opportunity to buy the game for a reduced price, while still functioning as regular game discs. Or it could, as many fear, be the spear tip of Microsoft's oft-rumored impending attack on used games.

When asked whether the fee was mandatory, the Microsoft rep apparently couldn't provide an answer. Oh dear. If this is a legitimate attempt to curb used-sales, it's the most blatantly anti-consumer decision in the history of the industry. Good show, Microsoft.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/xbox-one-analysis/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The bullet's in the chamber. Will they shoot themselves in the foot?

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Let me make sure I've got this

A disc is good for 1 install on 1 500GB HDD. How many AAA games could 500GB hold? Eventually you'd need to delete older ones to install newer games; does this mean they're gonna try to charge customers to play the game that they themselves already bought brand-new at full price?

Forget resale. Can I even play the same game twice?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Fappy said:
I'd say there's bullets in all the chambers. One for one foot, one for the other, one for each leg, one for the gut, and one for the head.

I want this to fail so hard that the industry crashes and starts being run by the Indies.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
No, I'm not going to get it. Not going to get it.
*said while listening to T.A.T.U*

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Seriously, I'm starting to wonder if we should hire ex FBI interrogators to question microsoft on this. Yes or no answers only. No worming out of it. No maybes. You're gonna tell us whether you plan on being massive cunts.

And if you do? Well, thanks for telling the truth. Now wave goodbye to all your fans.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Fappy said:
The foot? I hope those assholes shoot themselves in the head [small](the company, not the people)[/small]. They have treated their customers like shit since about 2003, so I hope those douchebags get what they deserve.

Velociferocks

Jul 20, 2009
Zombie_Moogle said:

A disc is good for 1 install on 1 500GB HDD. How many AAA games could 500GB hold? Eventually you'd need to delete older ones to install newer games; does this mean they're gonna try to charge customers to play the game that they themselves already bought?

Will probably work like Steam, you can download, delete local data, re download/install from disc as much as you want. The game will most likely be attached to your xbox live account.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
If this console doesnt have a really REALLY low price and free xbox live then im done.... just done
sorry Halo, i loved you but i cant handle your parents

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
They really do need to clarify whether or not you can still run used games off the disc, and that the fee is only for installing onto the hard drive. If it is a forced install regardless and you have to pay a fee in order to play the game at all, that is bullshit.

The wording in the article I read was kind of confusing when it came to that explanation.

Regardless of how this turns out, I'm still not getting this console. I already decided that a long time ago.

death525

Aug 29, 2009
Wait, it is tied to a single account. What about games that only allow for one save file? What are me and my brother supposed to do? Pay $60 for the game and then who knows how much more just so we can have two save files. Thanks Microsoft for turning me into a Sony fan boy.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Zombie_Moogle said:

A disc is good for 1 install on 1 500GB HDD. How many AAA games could 500GB hold? Eventually you'd need to delete older ones to install newer games; does this mean they're gonna try to charge customers to play the game that they themselves already bought brand-new at full price?

It also says that this is account-based. So odds are, it will work like Steam, keeping track of all of the games you purchased, whether they are installed right now or not.

My question is more to "What about multi-user homes?" We've got a generation right now where every member of a household has their own account, with their own achievements, friends, and history. I don't think you'll entice too many people to buy the activation for each family member who wants to play the game you've already paid $60 for.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
Fappy said:
I'd say there's bullets in all the chambers. One for one foot, one for the other, one for each leg, one for the gut, and one for the head.

I want this to fail so hard that the industry crashes and starts being run by the Indies.
Just hop on board for the Ouya they seem to be the only system who give a flying fuck at this point.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Microsoft Pre(One)d games [sub]tm[/sub]
Better with Kinect!

They'll make money out of anything.

I'm not totally against this if that "fee" goes to the developers of the game because I like to support good devs where possible. But if the big M is raking in a huge profit then this is a definite no-go area for me. Ya know, even if I wasn't dead set on a PS4 by this point...

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Fappy said:
They've already shot themselves in the foot. The question is: How long until they realise it?

Any news on an Xbone Pizza Hut app? I'm suprised they didn't lead the conference with that.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Zombie_Moogle said:

Yes, because the game is connected to your account. You can delete and reinstall all you want. Just not if its some one elses copy, then you would pay a fee cos that game would be connected to some one elses account.