Microsoft Hints at Pre-Owned Fee For Xbox One Games

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Ok, I can sort of get having to pay a fee if you're going to install your game on a different console, but you'll have to pay and install the game again if you want to play the game on a different account on the same console? Da fuq? You do know that absolutely no one will be game for that.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
This thing just seems to be taking the piss more and more. Stories are all about an ugly console (not really a problem), Kinect 2, used games fees, another call of duty and a OS crammed with social media dribble.

Can't say they've impressed me with this one, hopefully Sony can do better in a few weeks time.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Grey Carter said:
However, unlike PS3 games, once installed, Xbone games can be ran without the disc in the drive.
Oh sweet manky jeebus, please don't let this be a typo to be corrected. 'Xbone' is too terrific, just go with it. I think it's how I'm going to refer to it.

I say this as an owner of an Xbox and an Xbox 360 - based on what I'm reading I really don't think I want to get Xbone'd.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I dont think its all that bad, depends on the price they will charge for playing a pre owned game. If its a few pounds its not that big a deal if you bought the game for £10. Although, for me, most of the games i play are rentals from Lovefilm and i only buy new games if they are something i really want.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
Fappy said:
The bullet's in the chamber. Will they shoot themselves in the foot?
I'd say there's bullets in all the chambers. One for one foot, one for the other, one for each leg, one for the gut, and one for the head.

I want this to fail so hard that the industry crashes and starts being run by the Indies.
And cost many many people their jobs in the process! YAY!

Seriously, why would anyone WANT the industry to crash?? Regardless of how you feel about things right now, that just seems incredibly selfish.

OT: Well, either way, I don't plan to buy this console. I'll probably just settle for the PS4 and possibly a better computer so I can get more into PC gaming.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
Fappy said:
Too bad the safety was only available through Gamestop pre-order.
I laughed at that far harder than I should have. Then I let out a long drawn out sigh of sadness.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Elijah Newton said:
Grey Carter said:
However, unlike PS3 games, once installed, Xbone games can be ran without the disc in the drive.
Oh sweet manky jeebus, please don't let this be a typo to be corrected. 'Xbone' is too terrific, just go with it. I think it's how I'm going to refer to it.

I say this as an owner of an Xbox and an Xbox 360 - based on what I'm reading I really don't think I want to get Xbone'd.
It's not a typo. That's what I'm calling it.

Jan 22, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Elijah Newton said:
Grey Carter said:

ha it's nice to see a game journalist with a sense of humor.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Grey Carter said:
Elijah Newton said:
Grey Carter said:

I think It's brilliant.

Also, it's much quicker to say than "Xbox One"(of all the names they could have picked).

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Does Microsoft just hates the possiblity that people might buy their system or something? That's the only explanation I can think nof for being so stupid.
Grey Carter said:
Congratulations on coming up with the name everyone's going to use from now on. It just fits so well.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...In breaking news the entire staff of Gamestop commited ritualistic suicide today, prompting countless inquiries as to the cause and a clean up of blood from the lower paid sales reps.

When asked to comment, one sales rep said:

"Can we interest you in a 12 month xbox live coupon with your purchase?"

Moving on from that nonsense, this whole thing seems like some clown honking his nose deliriously into a camera, it's funny at first but then the humor drains away after 10 minutes and you start to wonder if you might be delusional or the clown itself is a poor tortured, deranged weirdo who needs help understanding the world around him.

Oh nifty I passed 3000 posts, Only took just over 4 and a half years. Hurrah.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
death525 said:
Wait, it is tied to a single account. What about games that only allow for one save file? What are me and my brother supposed to do? Pay $60 for the game and then who knows how much more just so we can have two save files. Thanks Microsoft for turning me into a Sony fan boy.
If a person is playing a game they didnt pay for themselves they are clearly a damn dirty thieving pirate bastard and should be flogged mercilessly

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I often take multiplayer games to my friends' houses so we can play them there. Since lugging my Xbox around is dumb as shit, I just carry the disk.

Someone care to tell me why this new system is screwing me and my friends over when we're using the product as (presumably) intended?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
admittedly console gaming was always awesome because I could share games with friends :/

Panthera

May 10, 2013
You know what the best thing about this is?

It's going to take like...two weeks after the XBone comes out for someone to figure out an easy bypass for this feature, because people always find ways around these kinds of measures, and then Microsoft will have pissed off a bunch of people and the remaining ones still won't be paying their second hand usage fees anyway.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Zombie_Moogle said:
Let me make sure I've got this

A disc is good for 1 install on 1 500GB HDD. How many AAA games could 500GB hold? Eventually you'd need to delete older ones to install newer games; does this mean they're gonna try to charge customers to play the game that they themselves already bought brand-new at full price?

Forget resale. Can I even play the same game twice?
Sure, just buy another Microsoft-approved 500 GB hard drive for $200 bucks! ... what's that, you filled it up already? Buy another one! And another one!

[small]Pictured: Thoughts running through the CEO of Microsoft's head at the time of these decisions.[/small]​

OT: Used games aren't the enemy of the industry. In fact, the biggest enemy of the industry right now is the industry itself. Come on, guys, in your effort to keep your massive bloated budgets afloat, you're ostracizing all of the people who would actually purchase your products. Calm down, get some perspective, listen to what the sensible people are saying, and stop blowing millions on marketing and Metal Gear Solid-levels of cutscenes. If you make good games, and get the word out on them, people will buy them. Look at how many copies Dark Souls ended up selling. Look at how Bamco is trying to screw it up by marketing it to the people who aren't going to be interested in it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fappy said:
The foot is already full of holes, this ones going in their face.

I'd like to say people won't take it, but this is the exact situation PC gamers(me included) sleep walked into with Steam and co, one account, one game and screw you. Short of a giant class action suit about right to sell property or Gamestop/Amazon/Ebay straight up refusing to carry Xbox One related products, welcome to DRM land consoleplayers.

The market for cracked XboxOne's is going to be huge.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
So you have to install a game on your hard drive in order to be able to play it. At all? (And you more than likely have to have a working Internet connection for the game to work.) But if you want, say, your teenage son to be able to play the game on his own account on the same Xbone (because he doesn't WANT to play on your account, he wants his OWN account), you've got to shell out some fee to... install it again? Isn't it already installed? I don't know from computers, apparently.

Also, if I want to loan a buddy the game for a week while I go out of town so he can see if he likes it enough to want to buy it for himself, he's got to pay a fee for the privilege of installing it on his Xbone's hard drive? And then... what? He can play the game forever off the installation (minus the disc)? If THAT's the case, it doesn't behoove Microsoft to make that nominal fee all that nominal. It behooves Microsoft to make that fee equivalent to the price you'd expect to pay to buy that game used if you didn't have to go through the installation rigmarole.

Right?

--Morology!