Microsoft ignores loyal supporter

Gmano

Apr 3, 2009
MaxPowers666 said:
Cenequus said:
Obsolete equipment is obsolete, why should they replace it for free? We're talking about a cheap console that you had for 5 years. For me to keep up with the new games i have to get newer hardware almost each year for my PC. As much as a console has standardized specs it's still 5 years old,good for trash bin.
Tell me something if steam decided to come out with an update and it literlaly broke every computer that was more then four years old would you still react the same? It has nothing to do with the console being obsolete, infact the console isnt obsolete because it still played games that were coming out today. The problem is that microsoft released an update that broke the console. Hint hin microsoft broke the console, that means microsoft is liable here.
With steam the computer is meant to do more than just play games and the consumer has no guarantee that a game he/she purchases will run. This is not the case for a console, Microsoft has a duty to the newer customers to deliver the updates that they promised and the older customers are getting replacements if their xbox does not work.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
It could be worse

But you should be able to get one for free, there was that whole deal with the most recent update bricking some older Xbox's so Microsoft was giving out slims.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
They're meant to be replaced if they end up bricked or otherwise reduced in function by an update, Microsoft are supposed to do this for you. You could've just gotten the utterly retarded support staff, you know? They exist everywhere, not to defend Microsoft.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Somehow I think the tech support rep there just didn't know her shit and made up an answer on the fly. Who knows, maybe she was quitting that very day and simply didn't care to look it up.

Let me qualify this first: I hate Microsoft. I mean hate them. I never buy a product with any of their branding on it if I can help it, been this way since the 90s, and I've gone so far as to buy a laptop sans OS once. It's really bordering on irrational... but even I know they wouldn't be stupid enough to institute a policy like that.

Silas13013

Mar 31, 2011
arragonder said:
I'm just waiting for the next console generation. "your games/accounts don't carry over; sucks to be you -love Microsoft"
SO like what sony did with the PS3?

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
MaxPowers666 said:
Cenequus said:
Obsolete equipment is obsolete, why should they replace it for free? We're talking about a cheap console that you had for 5 years. For me to keep up with the new games i have to get newer hardware almost each year for my PC. As much as a console has standardized specs it's still 5 years old,good for trash bin.
Tell me something if steam decided to come out with an update and it literlaly broke every computer that was more then four years old would you still react the same? It has nothing to do with the console being obsolete, infact the console isnt obsolete because it still played games that were coming out today. The problem is that microsoft released an update that broke the console. Hint hin microsoft broke the console, that means microsoft is liable here.
It's not if Steam decides it's if Microsoft decides to come up with new software. I've lived the hard transition of win98 to win XP and the fact I couldn't even install games or programs for win98. The PC was fine but the whole system was obsolote. I'm not asking Microsoft that newer games or programs have win98 support since I've paid 200 dollars for that license and it was lifetime.

The problem so isn't the software update but the console beeing to ld to be compatible with,just an older Pnetium couldn't run win xp.Having the same name doesn't mean it's the same console.

To my opinion the OP has the usual US buyer syndrome that feels entitled just because he bought something.

NOHC

Nov 16, 2008
If they're replacing update bricked ones, knowing my luck, my long-out-of-warranty, been RRoD fixed by MS once already, twice by me, 06' Xenon will get bricked, and I'll be SOL...

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
First, Microsoft has fans? Whoa.

Second, I need sources and hardcore evidence that this is what happened before jumping into conclusions.

Sorry, I'm just like it since ANYONE can make an account and make crap about the companies that they probably hate.

Csae

Sep 8, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
I feel for you, but you should realise that this is the sort of power companies can have over you in this age. Technically, even the majority of PC users aren't safe from Microsoft screwing with us with an update. There would be hell to pay, of course, but they could do it. However, the advantage of a PC over a console here is that a PC you own and have completel control over, whilst caveats in the license agreements on console seem to make out that you're just leasing the hardware at the good graces of the manufacturers - one of the big reasons why I've stayed out of this online-enabled console generation. My N64 still runs, so I feel there's no excuse to kill an xbox after just a couple of years.
Mfost tried, several times. A console is a pc, with less user access. If microsoft decided to crash my system, i would just access my root, undo the changes, and get right back. Maybe switch operating systems. The problem is the amount of control microsoft has over the console compared to you, you could in theory reboot the console and stay off XBL, ask for a refund on your subscription and the DLC that you can no longer get. Unless it was specifically stated that your xbox would not be able to run it, (Remember Expansion packs require notice of original game ownerships for a reason). But even the hardcore 360 gamer, can't really compare to a hardcore pc gamer, who specifically hunts down and works with third party apps, bios changes, even hardware mods to increase his game. Overclocking anyone? How many 360s you know are overclocked, maybe a handfull at best.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Cenequus said:
mikozero said:
Cenequus said:
let me tell you something about electronics; they don't know how long the will last.

you can pick up a transistor radio from the very dawn of their invention and it'll still work as well as the day it was new and the only caveat to this is moving mechanical parts.

5 years is nothing.

i used the same TV for 27 years
Double post coz I'm bad at edit quote.

You're looking at the hardware when the problem is the software. Is the new update that makes that older version obsolete.
Ever heard of "Backwards Compatibility"? Apparently Microsoft hasn't. Five years isn't enough time to outright remove support for a multi-million selling platform. I mean, Just Cause 2 was released in 2010, and required people to use Vista/7, and quite a few people made a stink about THAT. Apparently, it's too much to ask they upgrade their OS every ten years or so, so five years is just asking for trouble.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
CrazyJuan77 said:
lol the PC gamers on this thread amuse me. So anxious to point out the foibles of the gaming medium that is slowly killing their gaming medium.
wat.

Sense: Post yours none make.

Daniel Armstrong

Feb 21, 2010
Would have never had this problem if you bought a PS3 :p But seriously, I find it unfair that they victimized you like this, after all your a loyal customer after 5 years and I swear there was an article that said they would replaced it.

Johnson294

May 8, 2011
It sounds like the idiot customer service lady betrayed you, not MS, MS should replace them regardless of what she said. Lol, not that MS is even a good company to customers anyways...

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I suggest you contact Microsoft again (and often) and present your situation. Eventually someone might get the idea that it's time to reward a long-time customer. Provide details on your purchases and all the money you've sent their way.
And Customer Support is worthless. Immediately ask for a supervisor. Then ask for their supervisor. All customer support is there for is to make you feel like you're getting a chance to make things right.