Microsoft Increasing Investment in Xbox Live Ads

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
redknightalex said:
josemlopes said:
Who gives a fuck!?
A lot of people, particularly considering that many pay for Gold service and yet still get ads. Not even sure how Microsoft can justify such stupidity but they only made it worse now.

If I paid for an online service, I certainly don't want ads everywhere. Thankfully PSN has the right idea.
What I mean (and now I see that a lot more people didnt get the right idea of what I said but I guess that was my fault) is that after watching that video all I want to do is scream "Who gives a fuck!?" at those guys that think they are being progressive with this bullshit ads when no one gives a fuck to even pay attention to advertising.

Basicly it should be removed because no ones gives a fuck about the advertising that is there, that is what I meant.

(and why did you all think that I was cool with this, who in their right mind is cool with this?)

CAPTCHA: way to go donny!
I guess we have to blame someone called donny

Aug 31, 2011
Until November, I was a Gold member. The ad-littered Xbox menu factored into my decision. Every time I accidentally clicked on an ad instead of playing a game or dvd, I was irritated. Eventually it added up to hating the service. And since I basically used the Xbox as a Netflix machine, I just decided my money was better spent elsewhere.

After reading some user posts, I kind of wanted to defend the idea of ads as inevitable. Basically as the cable tv method crossing into the 'home entertainment'/gaming sphere. But it's really not the same thing. The Xbox issue is closer to mobile apps than tv, only mobile apps just pair advertising with apps until you pay them to stop. And without that option, the only way to make them stop is to stop giving them your money. But every hardcore Xbox gamer I've known would sooner go without food for a week or two than let their membership lapse.

The real question you need to ask is this: when will the Xbox method infect the Windows OS? Or the Android OS? Because that's essentially what Xbox has done...fed ads directly through the operating system of your Xbox.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Suddenly I feel a lot happier I cancelled my live subscription renewal. Xbox live isn't a freaking TV station, it's supposed to be a means to play online games.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Between microsoft pulling shit like this and sony's horrible business practices, i'm thinking of sticking to WiiU and PC next gen. The only thing deterring me is that dark souls 2 may not come out for PC.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Funny how all their competitors have online services without the adds and for free, while Xbox users PAY to see ads.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Great more forced adds on Xbox live to use up bandwidth/data caps on a paid service, while PSN a free service with NO adds.

Why do people pay for Xbox live again?

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Re: Everybody

If it bothers you this much (and escalating ads on a paid service should bother you), maybe cancel your XBL subscription?
Seriously, being angry doesn't stop Microsoft from making a fortune on it, especially when you continue to pay them to do it

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Burst6 said:
Between microsoft pulling shit like this and sony's horrible business practices, i'm thinking of sticking to WiiU and PC next gen. The only thing deterring me is that dark souls 2 may not come out for PC.
Well to give Sony credit they do give you free on line and no adds. That's pretty decent of them, I mean you expect adds with a free service.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Yet another reason why I'll probably switch over to Playstation next generation, although I haven't had Gold for a couple of years.

Robby Foxfur

Sep 1, 2009
Overquoted said:
The real question you need to ask is this: when will the Xbox method infect the Windows OS? Or the Android OS? Because that's essentially what Xbox has done...fed ads directly through the operating system of your Xbox.
If your using Windows 8 it already has, go into any of the app places and you'll see ads for shit ... I bought my parents a new laptop and was disgusted to find out just how many ads are HARD coded into the OS. I have honestly thought of block the ad content port on my router just as a massive Fuck off. I like the idea of the intigraded win8 platform but i head that it is forced on anyone who tires to use it. I still have 7 and the only way I'm up grading it under threat of torture, even then i'd ***** about it the entire time.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
This is why my Xbox Live is not being renewed and I am slowly selling off all of my games. I am not paying to play online and still be bombarded with advertisements.

That's not forgetting all the other crap with Live as it is. Especially the terribly designed marketplace and awful search function.

Apr 28, 2008
It'll be fun to see what happens when Valve's console drops. With Microsoft more interested in ads and Sony, well, being Sony, it'll be interesting to see how well Valve does.

I hope they do really well. With Microsoft more interested in ads and Sony, well being Sony, they need a good kick in the ass.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
why is this being presented as agood thing?! i go out of my way to limit the amout of advertizing in my life.
-muting the tv during ads
-returning a sports game when there is manditory ads even after i paid 80 bucks for it
i even go so far as to limit my consumption of advertized products whose advertizing is too intrusive, manipulative, or just idiotic.

this is how much advertizing annoys me. sorry microsoft, all that money your going to get from advertizing is great because you not getting it from me now.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
luvd1 said:
Really. Really? Someone please remind me why I'm a gold member?
So they have the money to "reinvent" ads, duh.
But much much more importantly you pay so you can be the first to experience such brilliant innovation.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
if i pay for gold, I shouldnt get any advertisements. in fact, I just want to play video games on my xbox

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
loa said:
Oh my god, the people in this video.
"New and exciting ways to connect with our customers", how about I show you "new and exciting ways" to connect with my dick.
As for microsfts "service", good job enabling them to do this, everyone who paid for xbox live.
Enjoy your "quality".
Lol I just noticed that comments are disabled on the video.

I wonder why.

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
The ads don't really bother me since I'll just turn the xbox on, join my friend's party, then go onto a game so I'm seeing them for a max of about 10 seconds. The big old ad in the middle I'm fine with just because it's used to link to sales and stuff and new released content rather than things like lovefilm.

What I'm not fine with is the increasing amount of money and time going into the ads without a decrease in live cost or further implementation of other free features for gold members.

I adore my xbox and live, made loads of friends and don't have issues connection wise, but it's getting more and more annoying defending these shitty practices.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Just what I need.More ads for shit that isn't even available in my country(looking at you Lovefilm ads)

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
funksobeefy said:
if i pay for gold, I shouldnt get any advertisements. in fact, I just want to play video games on my xbox
Why would you want to play games on your Adbox?

OT: This is idea is bad, and they should feel bad too. I'll probably switch my gaming to the PC or something once my Xbox live subscription rolls out.