Microsoft make another U-Turn. Xbone to include headset

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
After the recent news that gamers would have to shell out extra cash for an official Xbox One headset - and the backlash to said news - Microsoft have made yet another change in policy and will now be including a free headset with the console.

It seems to be a growing trend that Microsoft will announce something, get a load of crap for it and then change their decision in the hopes of appeasing the gnashing beast that is the modern consumer. They're in a lose-lose situation where sticking to their guns makes them look anti-consumer, whilst bending to the whim of the gamers makes them look weak.

Will this news cause you to shell out for the Xbone?

<a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-04-microsoft-will-now-include-a-headset-with-xbox-one> Source

Update: Turns out that there was a misprint somewhere along the line and Microsoft are in fact not including a headset after all.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Well that's good news and assuming it's the one that is shown everywhere then I feel like the X1's headset looks better. Seriously, the PS4's standard headset looks cheap and nasty but that's just my opinion.

I still haven't made up my mind on which console to get because a) I wont be able to afford either for a while and b) I prefer to look at the games and both sides haven't really shown me much to jump at yet.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
I wonder how long until they get so dizzy they throw up. Spinning in circles like this can't be good for their health.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
The whole release cycle for this generation has made me feel like I've aged out of the "hardcore" gamer group. The presentations have been so amateur that it seems like all parties involved used unpaid college interns to chart their strategy. The only thing that is working for me is both companies are pushing me towards Nintendo. I have a family now and Nintendo's recent family oriented commercials and the Xbones PR gaffs really make me want to be a casual gamer.

I have had an Xbox for something like 10 years, but somehow microsoft found a way to compel me not to continue my business with them. I have a hard time thinking of any company I've had such a long term relationship with, so the incompetence MS has demonstrated is staggering.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
SSJBlastoise said:
Well that's good news and assuming it's the one that is shown everywhere then I feel like the X1's headset looks better. Seriously, the PS4's standard headset looks cheap and nasty but that's just my opinion.

I still haven't made up my mind on which console to get because a) I wont be able to afford either for a while and b) I prefer to look at the games and both sides haven't really shown me much to jump at yet.
I'd expect it will be the previously shown headset, although it wouldn't suprise me if they pulled a crappy cheap one out of the aether and say 'We were going to be selling two all along, honest! Oh and by the way the cheap on is the one your getting trololo'.

And remember that there is always the option to not get either. Stick with the current gen for, say, a year or two and you will still be enjoying quality games on the current gen whilst the next gen gets cheaper and the titles available start to pile up.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
And remember that there is always the option to not get either. Stick with the current gen for, say, a year or two and you will still be enjoying quality games on the current gen whilst the next gen gets cheaper and the titles available start to pile up.
I know there is but my laptop is not the best so I doubt that will be capable of much into the next gen of games and I'm somewhat impatient lol waiting to play some of the new games without seeing spoilers may get hard.

Then I'm also worried about the current gen versions of games like Watch Dogs or GTA V having less content than the X1 and PS4, though this is probably not going to happen (hopefully).

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Sorry I disagree, they aren't handling any of this properly, they are acting like at best a used car sales person throwing in "extras" to get a sale and at worst spoilt children. They are acting like they are in the right and we are being overly demanding. That's not how you deal with a mistake, you don't come out and say if you don't like it "just deal with it", you don't ***** and moan and fight every step of the way

You come out and admit the problem AND APOLOGIZE. I don't care how right you think you are your wrong because your not producing what the customer wants to buy so you say "I AM SORRY"

You then FIX the mistake

You then give something extra as a present to make up for it and restore good will

Sony actually did this quite well when they got hacked, they followed everyone of those steps

Microsoft on the other hand hasn't even got to the apology so its no wonder customers are still angry, they have had to fight every step of the way and Microsoft still hasn't gotten rid of the Kinect requirement. So they haven't rectified all of the mistakes, they haven't apologized and they haven't gone anyway towards making it up to people so why should customers flock back to them? why shouldn't people still be pissed off?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well I certainly don't mind their console having more stuff than it did.

However, I'm not going to particularly thank them for something that should be in it regardless.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Quick someone be angry about Microsoft not making money fall out the sky.

Seriously? If the Kinect functions like they say it does a microphone shouldn't even be necessary. I wasn't complaining about this one. I think we've actually broken Microsoft's spine and now they'll do absolutely anything the internet say. Someone nasty should link them to 4Chan.

doomed89

May 5, 2009
Comocat said:
The whole release cycle for this generation has made me feel like I've aged out of the "hardcore" gamer group. The presentations have been so amateur that it seems like all parties involved used unpaid college interns to chart their strategy. The only thing that is working for me is both companies are pushing me towards Nintendo. I have a family now and Nintendo's recent family oriented commercials and the Xbones PR gaffs really make me want to be a casual gamer.

I have had an Xbox for something like 10 years, but somehow microsoft found a way to compel me not to continue my business with them. I have a hard time thinking of any company I've had such a long term relationship with, so the incompetence MS has demonstrated is staggering.
No offense but being family targeted advertised doesn't make it better for your family. Knack seems like a very family friend game on ps4 and I'm sure they're will be others. I think you should wait awhile before buying a new console. Though I agree the presentations were crap, Sony's wasn't even good it was basically just them saying we aren't doing something horrible like MS lol. But the hardware in the ps4 is solid and easy to develop for and Sony has a ton of good studios so I'm not really worried

Anyways as for this news I think it's good but ultimately moot. Yay a 10 buck headset, so what, lol.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
All right. When do they make a Kinect optional version?

That's about the thing I care about most with the XBOX One right now. Aside from the fact I can't really expect too much in the way of an exclusive must have from them.

The idea of an always on Kinect creeps me out. I don't care about headsets. But as long as they make a version that doesn't come with Kinect I'll be pretty happy.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
I'm starting too wonder why we even pay attention to anything Microsoft announces about the X1. Yes, it was a good thing they dropped the stupid no offline, call home once a day bullshit, but it seems like since then, they just keep changing their minds over every announcement. I swear the only reason the Kinect is still mandatory is because they just don't know how to build one without it.

Sure, a company reversing unpopular decisions is good, but when they have to keep reversing things every single time they open their mouths, it stops being a case of a good company knowing listening to its consumers, and more a case of a pack of morons getting scolded by nanny everytime they try to steal a cookie.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
UPDATE: Microsoft's UK distributor Gem has told Videogamer that its product listing in this week's MCV magazine which claimed Xbox One would come with a headset was a mistake.

It gave no explanation for how the erroneous information was printed, however.

"[Xbox One] won't include the headset", a Gem spokesperson said.

Eurogamer has yet to hear officially from Microsoft or Gem on the matter.
Looks like just a misprint about actually including a headset, so oops, they didn't change their mind on that.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Jolly Good Microsoft. I know it's not the most popular opinion going but I actually like that they seem to be listening to people and reacting but their seems to be quite a vocal section of people who have already made up their minds about the console and just like to moan as loudly as they can no matter what Microsoft do.

Then again I'm also of the opinion that EA isn't the worst company in the world so what do I know.

samwise970

May 2, 2010
Just a misprint.

To those who want a Kinect optional version (meaning an xbox 360 2), please just get a PS4. I don't want you people ruining my XB1.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
SSJBlastoise said:
CriticalMiss said:
I know there is but my laptop is not the best so I doubt that will be capable of much into the next gen of games and I'm somewhat impatient lol waiting to play some of the new games without seeing spoilers may get hard.

Then I'm also worried about the current gen versions of games like Watch Dogs or GTA V having less content than the X1 and PS4, though this is probably not going to happen (hopefully).
GTA V isnt announced for the next gen yet, most people believe that it will come out sooner or later but in the end the current gen version will have all the content there is to have.

doomed89

May 5, 2009
tendaji said:
UPDATE: Microsoft's UK distributor Gem has told Videogamer that its product listing in this week's MCV magazine which claimed Xbox One would come with a headset was a mistake.

Looks like just a misprint about actually including a headset, so oops, they didn't change their mind on that.
lol that can not be good for their PR

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Now we just need to convince someone at Microsoft to announce that the X1 will not provide the consumer with money, bacon, and milkshakes.
We have the power to make the X1 whatever we want!
Captcha: Face the music

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
tendaji said:

Good catch, first post updated! It's a bit odd that there was a misprint, you'd think they'd proof-read something like this.