Microsoft Making Waves With Tile-Based Interface in Windows 8

hoockhand

Mar 30, 2009
I really really REALLY hope this is just microsoft trolling us.. if not I pray to god Linux gets Direct X on it

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
zombiesinc said:
This looks... stupid. I could see it working on a tablet or as an app, but as a OS on my computer? Nuh uh.
Twas my response to an earlier thread about this. Not cool, I'll skip Windows 8 if this is the future of Windows.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Windows 8, where your once powerful pc, will now look, and feel like a cell phone,(with an OVER-SIZED screen, attached to a tower, mount to the wall by power plugs, and best of all, with out the portability of the cell phone.... does the web browser cost extra for file transfer limits? I hate the hold and drag design...

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
How many times has Microsoft stated that windows 8 is for smartphones and tablets not desktop pc use unless you just really want to.

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Initial impressions say I'm going to stick with Windows 7. I'll still pay attention, and maybe they'll change my mind, but right now I'm not too excited for Windows 8.

THEoriginalBRIEN said:
I also love how Microsoft assume's we all are caught up with touchpad desktop's when there's another recession/depression looming overhead.
Another? We're still in the one we've been in for years now. There isn't another one looming overhead, the current one simply has no end in sight.

Zhukov" post="7.288640.11426975 said:
We're in the midst of an uneasy recovery. If you can remember back a couple years, things were a lot worse. Not that they're good now, but the U.S. just hit it's debt ceiling (a damn high one at that) and our treasury is about to flip the emergency switch i.e. defaulting on America's commitments, likely causing the global economy to plunge further.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
I personally like vista after you remove/disable the bloatware...

OT: I will only use it if the universities have released their hologram tech to the public by the time this goes into full-spin >.>

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
sneakypenguin said:
Finally something that will work on tablets, thank goodness. This looks amazing, cue the luddites whining about touchscreen and how it doesn't run like a 10 year old piece of software...
A 10 year old piece of software that runs ridiculously smooth. I'm stuck with Vista, being a poor college student who got a laptop at the wrong time. It's a buggy piece of shit.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
Wow that looks awful. That might work on a tablet or something but this is not the way to go with a computer operating system.

"User friendly" just means they're watering it down.

mornal

Aug 19, 2009
This has probably been posted by the fifth page but people realise that you don't need to use a touch screen, right?

It was designed to be used with a fingertip or mouse, whichever you prefer or have.

Although it does remind me a lot of the Zune and windows phone UI.

Aedrial

Jun 24, 2009
That looks pure pants on head retarded. What's a bet they have developed an AI to backseat drive for you in case you have trouble turning it on.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Hate to say this, but this may be a good thing for people who have problems with using a current pc. For instance, the elderly, young children, non computer literate. On the larger scale of things, it does feel wrong that microsoft is trying to gauge their users for a new version this soon. But hey, what can one do?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I doesn't have to be bad, but it certainly looks like it.
It's ugly as all hell, way too simplistic and so on. That kind of stuff can work on phones cuz you don't have a mouse and have to fumble around with your fingers. I only really use maybe 10 programs and they're all on the bottom of my screen with W7, I don't see why they couldn't be in app formation, but I also don't see why they should be.
Bacially, it's stupid, and I'm perfectly fine with my W7.

SlayerN

8th Place
Nov 26, 2009
well after seeing this the future looks mighty bleak to me.

I have to ask who at Microsoft though up this new direction, they go positive feedback from Windows 7, the trailers a few years ago for Windows 8 were OK, but now... what were they thinking.

I owned a HP Touchsmart 300 series because I won it in an office holiday drawing. They had something that was near Identical to this that would come up when you started your computer, so my first order of business was to wipe that from the hard drive, but this... this is the OS I hope with all my heart that this isn't the direction that Microsoft wants to go.
(but then again look at the windows phone.)

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
If there isn't one already, Linux will a workable version of this sort of thing released within a year. And it won't cost over a currencies and take up a sizeable chunk of your hard-drive.

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
Looks to me like Microsofts habit of making a terrible OS after putting out a good one is still going... It might actually work but I'm pretty sure that most everyone will just stick with Windows 7.