Microsoft Making Waves With Tile-Based Interface in Windows 8

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Seriously, I absolutely loathe every move that Microsoft makes towards obscuring the underlying functions of the computer from me, the user who knows what he's bloody doing - if that... abomination of a desktop OS interface isn't something you can firmly turn off forever and ever (amen), I may have finally reached the point where something Microsoft has done was enough to make me genuinely consider just switching to bloody Linux.
Every OS has been like that, though the actual feature removal probably started when ME halfway ripped out DOS mode even though it was just as DOSsy as 98. (And then did the same thing to their knowledge base, thanks Microsoft.)

We're the sorts of people who made the "Windows 7 God Mode" trick so popular even though it's just a bunch of control panel options in a searchable list format. Problem is, we're not most people. We spend the first few hours after a Windows install customizing the system so it's usable for us, configging a different browser, installing our must-have apps, finding replacements for any must-haves that don't work on a new OS, etc. Most people spend the first few hours waiting for the Acer/HP/Dell/whatever installer to finish installing Norton/McAfee/whatever plus some free games, promotional offers, and AOL!
It's like Microsoft has completely forgotten how it holds a dominant market position in business segments, where people want their computers for the purposes of getting shit done, and not "looking pretty" when you make the windows go up or down.

Also, anyone who thinks that designing a desktop OS around an assumed default control system of a touchscreen isn't stupid is - and this is cold hard fact here - a moron. Touchscreens are a terrible interface in almost all scenarios apart from where they're used now - with phones and tablets, you're holding something small and can be sitting down, with kiosks in public places you're standing up and therefore not holding your arms straight out (and generally not using them for very long). As a desktop option though?! There's a reason touchscreen monitors aren't very popular, and that's because the human arm isn't designed to be held straight out in front of your body for extended periods of time - it's profoundly uncomfortable, and far and away less efficient than if you simply had a keyboard and mouse. Touchscreens are the things you give your users when they can't have a full keyboard and mouse for whatever reason, not a technology that can replace them (even the ultra expensive/fancy Microsoft Surface device, while cool, still only makes sense as a sort of media kiosk and not as a desktop, because it has no keyboard) - it's sort of worrying that Microsoft doesn't seem to grasp that.

Ytinasni

Apr 27, 2011
Since noone seemed to notice my previous comment and are continuing to assume that this demo was for monitor/tower setups, allow me to reiterate: this was a tablet demo, he didn't use a non-touchscreen computer to demo the software because they won't make any significant interface changes for those setups, using the "snaps" feature is because you dont have a tactile keyboard to alt-tab with. Swiping through pages of "apps" is because using the filesystem is slower without a mouse/keyboard.

I'm still skeptical as to whether tablets have a significant place in the world but these companies are putting a LOT of time and money into developing for the platform so who knows at this point.

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
I'll stick with windows 7. This sort of interface doesn't interest me at all. Grandparents still wont know what to do with it all. This seems mostly for the generation that is growing up this type of smartphone interface.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
Yeah, I am absolutely not going to be "upgrading" to Windows 8 if this is what it's going to be like. I have my smartphone, and I have my computer. Please, let the two be alone. "Streamlining"? I don't think so. People know how to work with C: drives. People know how to run programs, and work with USB in/outs, people know how to work with their files. What people aren't accustomed to is converting all of that into an interface that seems almost solely designed for touch screen PCs. I hope that this feature is just that, a feature, because Microsoft is trying to usher in a MAJOR shift with Windows 8, one that I don't think the world is ready for.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Biscuit said:
Still using Vista.

I'm too stubborn to upgrade.
Same here, I'm too cheap and I don't want to risk pirating it.

I've never had a problem with Vista. Ever. I really don't see what all the hate was about. XD

OT: No. No. Really. No. Keep your slidey box things for the phone. Over here in keyboard and mouse Pc land we like start menus and windows and desktops. Yes, we like Desktops.

Keep that shit away from me.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
Love my windows phone, hate this.
I really dont see this as fixing anything broken and I wish companies would stop the style and interface changes for changes sake. Although every other windows OS is supposed to fail isn't it?

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
WickedFire said:
So long as i can be turned off I won't mind much. The only problem would be another wave of morons who have no idea about the control panel or other useful areas. Remarkably annoying when you're trying to help them fix a computer.
Where is the "start button"?

DON'T PUSH THAT YOU MIGHT BREAK MY COMPUTER!

From the ad it looks like they are selling on looks. If this becomes standard I think I will stick with programs on my computer and apps on my phone.

I also find the looks ugly, very ugly.

Just as long as they don't forget to keep the original way as an option I will remain on the fringes of the PC camp.

Nico III

Apr 16, 2008
Bigsmith said:
I've never had a problem with Vista. Ever. I really don't see what all the hate was about. XD
From what I've heard it was awful before the Service Packs, and while it's alright as it is, Windows 7 is just much better.

But I still ain't changin'! Damn kids and their widgets!

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Biscuit said:
Bigsmith said:
From what I've heard it was awful before the Service Packs, and while it's alright as it is, Windows 7 is just much better.

But I still ain't changin'! Damn kids and their widgets!
My laptop uses Windows 7 and personally, I really don't see much of a difference. But, since a new OS is coming out it means I may fall behind when it comes to gaming. So upgrading to windows 8 Asap may be a good idea... maybe.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
A few things. This looks like it will use up a lot more memory.

I notice a store app. So now Windows is going to have microtransactions like Apple and Android.

I'll be sticking with my Windows 7 for now...

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
I am pretty surprised that there is so much outrage over this. Microsoft isn't about completely alienating their customers. This is a new feature... something you can turn on or off. You will still have your icons and your mice and keyboards and your start menu but for those who think that these methods are a bit ancient (myself included) we can spend a little extra on a touch-screen and enjoy all these features!

Don't get me wrong, I will still use mouse+keyboard for gaming because touchscreen gaming is lame.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
I am amazed at how polarizing a tech demo of a product that is still many development cycles away from release can be.

I've used 8 extensively. It actually defaults to a standard Windows-style GUI in the 'Ultimate' and 'Enterprise' SKUs. (Enterprise is the business version.) The bottom line is, however, it's still baking. Features are still being discussed and may or may not be included.

Now I don't actually see/participate in those discussions, but I can tell you this: Microsoft's vision is to have a consolidated home-computing environment: a 360 console, a Windows Media Center PC, a Windows-based tablet or laptop, and a desktop, all seamlessly integrated with each other.

I can see the interface shown in the video as being how you run your tablet and your Media Center, since you're not going to be spending a ton of time working on them. But make no mistake, the people who run Microsoft are not dumb. I'm sure they realize that a touchscreen is not ideal for a heavy usage scenario.

I mean, seriously people: you don't create a company with $254 billion market cap by being clueless about what consumers want.

starkiller212

Dec 23, 2010
What the fuck Microsoft? Will the first Service Pack introduce cartoony Avatars next? If I was some caveman who didn't understand how to use modern computers I'd just buy a Mac anyway

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
I have been using windows since it first launched, and DOS before it. What people on this forum have failed to grasp is that Microsoft have to get their OS tablet friendly, like now as the tablet devices are coming. Also Microsoft don't want to make many different OS's for all these different devices, so they are going to try and make one, Windows 8. This is confirmed by the other big story about Windows 8 that may have been missed here, it will run on ARM CPU's as well as the x86 ones it has run on exclusively up until now. That's big and shows where Microsoft knows the market is going.

But don't get your knickers in a twist over the Metro UI. It is the same as the simple UI that is used for Windows Media Center, as in you don;t need to run it. You will be able to run Win 8 using a traditional Windows UI, Microsoft are not crazy enough to remove that. In fact from the stuff shown at Computex that UI looks exactly the same as Win 7.

But I am sure they will do their best, as have been done since 95, to hide away below many annoying menus actually getting at the technical stuff. Every OS since 95 has meant extra clicks to do something like disable and re-enable your LAN port.

That is the one thing that annoys me the drive to simplify the OS cause MS are scared of Apple. Why? They have like a few % of the Desktop OS market and that figure has been steady for a while after their recurrence.

Where MS did have to make sure they were addressing, was in the mobile space, where Apple are kicking their butts and I think the Metro interface does this. So Metro looks like it will be great for use on a tablet, better than IOS anyway. And I will see what they are bringing to the traditional UI to see if the upgrade from Windows 7 is worth it on the desktop, but really people take a chill pill.....

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Zhukov said:
I am more-or-less indifferent to Windows 8.

However, I do have one question:

Didn't we just upgrade to Windows 7? Y'know, all of a couple of years ago. Seriously, how often do they expect us to pay for a new one?
As soon as one rolls out, they start developing a new one, I think they're just getting the hype going really early.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Megacherv said:
Zhukov said:
I am more-or-less indifferent to Windows 8.

However, I do have one question:

Didn't we just upgrade to Windows 7? Y'know, all of a couple of years ago. Seriously, how often do they expect us to pay for a new one?
As soon as one rolls out, they start developing a new one, I think they're just getting the hype going really early.
They announced before that there plan was to move to one every 3 years, to be more like Apple. Hopefully that will mean more Apple like pricing for OS upgrades....

But really the hurry up has been that they need to get something out to combat Apple and Google in the mobile space, hence it running on ARM CPU's as well.

This release may not actually bring than many changes to the Desktop, once you turn off the Metro UI as most desktop users will do.

Jagji56

Oct 29, 2009
Any one who is thinking of buying this, stop. Even if you don't plane to use the Smart Phone interface, just don't buy it. Instead, we all needed to start Duel Booting Linux, then we all call our selfs Linux users, and ask that games be made on it. Then we get ride of Windows.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Biscuit said:
Still using Vista.

I'm too stubborn to upgrade.
I'm so jealous. I'm one of the only people who liked Vista. My computer caught on fire so I got a new one with 7. I actually loved Vista. I've used 4 Linux distros, 2 Mac OS's, Open Solaris and 4 Window's OS's and Vista is my favorite.

OT: This seems like a problem to me. I'm not opposed to innovation, I occasionally start up voice control and I installed drivers so I could use a 360 controller as a mouse, but this looks bad to me. It looks like an ipad. I don't like ipads. I like having my desktop as it is. I have fences from stardock and that keeps it organized and I love being able to work with my files and manually tinker rather than only use updates. Plus I just love the feeling of a real keyboard and a real mouse. I eat when I'm on the computer too so that would mess with the touch screen. Ill stick with 7.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Also, anyone who thinks that designing a desktop OS around an assumed default control system of a touchscreen is - and this is cold hard fact here - a moron. Touchscreens are a terrible interface in almost all scenarios apart from where they're used now - with phones and tablets, you're holding something small and can be sitting down, with kiosks in public places you're standing up and therefore not holding your arms straight out (and generally not using them for very long).
You may be interested in this item I posted earlier: http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/G/gorilla-arm.html