Microsoft: Milo Just a Tech Demo [UPDATED]

mariofan1000

Sep 25, 2009
Aw, I wanted to draw rude pictures and make them show on the X-Box.

I'm serious.

But, otherwise I'd have been interested in that...

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
I must admit, I'm disappointed to hear this; not really because I wanted a digital boy of my very own, but because Milo really showed off the new things that could be done with Kinect.
Agreed. It's one of very few things that made it seem like Kinect might have some potential. Now it sounds like they probably just put in exactly the right amount of content to make the demo look good without anything beyond it. Consider me highly disappointed.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
This proves my theory, that Milo was the soul of a young boy Peter Molyneux murdered and trapped in the console. Someone must have found the magic jar containing his ashes defeated the guardian beast and released him.

Yay!

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Is anyone really suprised or disspointed by this? I mean can you really think the gamestop cashier wouldn't laugh in your face if you bought this. Or your credit card comapny would ask you if it was a fraudulent charge if you bought it online.

They should totally develop this for pedophile rehab though

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
Jesus, that's a hell of a lot of work to go to waste. They should really pick up on it sometime.
It's probably not wasted.
The tech they made for it was likely for use with something else; it was just put on show in the tech demo.
Guess that's what tech demos are for.
Go figure.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Skopintsev said:
Good, cause it looked astoundingly useless.
As opposed to Half Life 2, which cures cancer?

I'll admit, I'm a bit dissapointed by this. The idea of facial, vocal and even image recognition by a video game is huge, and I'd have loved to have seen it continued. Even if Milo had been shit, it would have paved the way for RPGs for years to come.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Whats most intresting about this story is it came via GoodGame. I wasn't aware anybody still watched that show. Anyway, since I was never overly fond of Kinect I was never really intrested in Milo, even if he is an intresting bit of tech.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
A smoke and mirrors tech demo, which I had managed to identify as such at last year's presentation, does not make it in this year's E3? Shocking!

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Woodsey said:
I'll buy the Natal-ish tech for my PC though, because it's supposedly dullest application (i.e. navigating menus) is what interests me the most so far, because all the games are piss-poor.
Now that's an interesting thought. MS developing Kinect/Natal with multiple purposes in mind, rather than purely as a gaming accessory. It would give them a chance to field-test and further develop the same tech for the PC end of things, and maybe even give them something to draw in the kind of people who use Macs "because they're easier".

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Raesvelg said:
Woodsey said:
I'll buy the Natal-ish tech for my PC though, because it's supposedly dullest application (i.e. navigating menus) is what interests me the most so far, because all the games are piss-poor.
Now that's an interesting thought. MS developing Kinect/Natal with multiple purposes in mind, rather than purely as a gaming accessory. It would give them a chance to field-test and further develop the same tech for the PC end of things, and maybe even give them something to draw in the kind of people who use Macs "because they're easier".
MS aren't doing it - the company behind Natal is.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Denamic said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Jesus, that's a hell of a lot of work to go to waste. They should really pick up on it sometime.
It's probably not wasted.
The tech they made for it was likely for use with something else; it was just put on show in the tech demo.
Guess that's what tech demos are for.
Go figure.
True. Maybe it'll be the framework for some Lionhead RPG character interactions or something.

mr_pants66

Oct 7, 2009
Milo creped me out BUT it was a cool idea just make him less ... freaky.

i still think motion sensor gaming is not going to work .... it will just make more games for non-gamers. it sucks they are forgetting to please reel gamers out of all this.

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
CarlosYenrac said:
Withall said:
..."Kinect: Virtual Boy"
I think Someone Else [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy] may have the rights to that name already :D
That's the point! Microsoft copies Nintendo once, why not twice more?