Microsoft Predicts 3 Million Kinect Sales Over the Holidays

Eviljesse

May 14, 2010
I know 11 people that own a 360, and of those 11 not a one is excited about it or has expressed any interest in owning one.

I hate to say it (because it isn't true of everyone) but most of your xbox owners want to shoot something, blow shit up, or set old ladies on fire, and I don't see how Kinect is going to help them do any of those things easier or in a manner that is more fun.

I'm sure they will sell plenty of them to people that just have an interest in the thing, ones who buy every attachment no matter what it is, and people with alot of money, that have nothing better to do with it than use it of toliet paper and buy Kinects.

Almost forgot, "Buttons, Yea!!"

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
My expert prediction: They will sell about 100,000 units... over five months.

I don't know a single person (in my group of 150 people) that want to purchase a Kinect.

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
...and I predict that I will get an ATAR in the 90's during the HSC. I really would like it to happen, but it just probably isn't.

PeterDawson

Feb 10, 2009
I am really getting the feeling this thing will flop, but I'm mainly basing that on the PAX crowd. There were sometimes lines, but most of the time the stations were wide open unless the game itself showed promise. Hell, of the Kinect/Move games, I liked The Shoot the best. Still, something about this prediction makes me think of the Atari ET and Pac-Man fiasco.

ShadowEdged

Sep 15, 2010
3 million units? probably not... 3 million revenue seems a bit more realistic.

It'll be interesting to see the relationship between kinect units sold and number of kinect games sold, I only say this because most people I know who own a wii only have wii sports and 1 or 2 other titles, I can see PS Move and Kinect being similar.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Wow, somebody is in denial...
Actually, this PA comic fits perfectly if you switch Tony Hawk's thing for either the kinect or move:

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
At first I thought Microsoft was being overly optimistic. But now thinking about how many 360s they've sold to little snots, it doesn't seem that unreasonable.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Ugh... they're still aiming a bit high, are they not? Hopefully once they see this project die in their hands they will understand that these motion control gimmicks just need to go away. The kind of people who would want to play with a Kinect won't want to pay that much, especially for a name that's not household like the Wii.

Please... let's just give this up already. I predict less than a million sales but I could be wrong. We'll see how this plays out, but my hopes are not very high.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Microsoft Predicts 3 Million Kinect Sales Over the Holidays
Root predicts 30,000. Tune in next time to see who's closer.
Amnestic strikes the middle ground at 300,000 units, predicts that he will be closest and gain +20 Internet Points.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Not bloody likely they'll get three million sales. The people who want motion control have wiis, the gamers have 360s or PS3s and couldn't care less about motion control, and even for the people who have a 360 and not a wii and yet want motion control, why wouldn't they just buy a wii?? It is almost the same price, and you get access to a whole library of games rather than just a few gimmicky ones; sure, it doesn't have HD, but really, so what?... I would say that there is a very small market for things like the kinect, and I would be shocked if that estimate of theirs is NOT off by a factor of 50 or more.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
And I predict that the system will flop because of the developers will make crap games for it, which will also result in said developers being laid off due to poor sales. Everyone wins!

Wait...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Someone is obviously on the MS payroll to say nice things.

A lil ambitious me thinks...

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Dear God, I know you've been great to me recently, but please, please please, make Kinect fail so hard.

Thanks.

Buck Wilde

Jul 15, 2009
Cassita said:
Seriously.

Motion-control needs to die.

No one cares.

No one wants to have to move more than they have to when they are tying to relax and enjoy their game.

Just go die in a hole or get back to making mini-game collections for the Wii.

I'd prefer the previous.
Thank you, holy shit will I be glad when the fad dies. I hope that whenever 3D stuff becomes popular it will quickly die out as well, but maybe thats just me.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
There is some angry nerds in this thread. it's like you are all adverse to change. I bet half of them would vote GOP.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
DiscoAtThePanic said:
First day sales mean nithing just like first weekend ticket sales. It will remain to be seen how well the Kinect sells after the initial hype passes and word of mouth comes down about how it performs and how much fun the games are.
Wow... um, I hate to break this to you, but in the modern box office, most movies live or die by the first weekend. In video games, great first-day sales almost always mean great overall sales.