Microsoft Predicts 3 Million Kinect Sales Over the Holidays

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Still not buying it. I'm just hoping that devs and microsoft don't forget about people who don't want to use motion controllers. Le sigh.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Autofaux said:
Perhaps. Or maybe this'll happen in a field of dreams with lollipop fields and chestnut trees with unicorns and its 150 dollars US, 3 million is pushing the estimate just a bit.
Pssh. all it has to do is sell outsell in a month what the Wii did in eight days domestically...Five times over.

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
Taking into account a surge in sales at the beginning of the year I (over?) estimate Microsoft have sold 45 million units to date (41m in June this year + Christmas rush).

if they're forecasting 3m sales, this means approx 1 in 15 owners of the entire purchase base will be investing in Kinect.

borderline plausible I guess, but removing the number of dead and unused consoles would bring that figure down... I can see it surpassing 1m but I think 3m is a bit of a pipe dream...

I think I'm going to do a little survey at my kids school to see how many parents own Xbox 360s, are aware of Kinect, and how many intend to buy it...

Of course, if they prove right it does present a sad indictment of modern life that people cry poverty and yet still buy the latest gizmo ;)

DiscoAtThePanic

Sep 3, 2010
BloodSquirrel said:
DiscoAtThePanic said:
First day sales mean nithing just like first weekend ticket sales. It will remain to be seen how well the Kinect sells after the initial hype passes and word of mouth comes down about how it performs and how much fun the games are.
Wow... um, I hate to break this to you, but in the modern box office, most movies live or die by the first weekend. In video games, great first-day sales almost always mean great overall sales.
Wow Umm I hate to break this to ou but the studios want money too and they do not make the bulk of their money from first weekend sales. They make their money over the life of a movie, including DVD sales. Microsoft is not out to get a sequel made, they want MONEY. You obviously were unable to think through my analogy, but Microsoft wants MONEY from Kinect not an impressive amount of opening sales. They want people to keep buying it as they will not make back the millions and millions they have invested in the system development by selling it well for one season and then watching it drop off.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I did a straw poll on my Facebook, asked a hundred or so people...only 20 had actually heard of Kinect and not ONE was interested in buying it...the only thing that really seems to work is the gesture navigation of your dashboard and of course Dance Central. So...Microsoft thinks they're going to ship 3 million Dance Centrals, because NO-ONE is gonna shell out a buck fifty to gesture control.

Oh and all 20 people who had heard of it had the same question...how the hell can you navigate a game that is not on rails with this thing?

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Haha... I lol'd.

No xbox, no inclination of getting one, and I can't imagine why people would want a kinect.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Xbox product director Greenberg said that by Microsoft's estimates, Kinect was going to sell three million units over the holiday season. He said that that figure was based on retailer feedback - which Greenberg said was very sophisticated - as well as Microsoft's own research.
Am I the only one laughing at this?

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
DiscoAtThePanic said:
Wow Umm I hate to break this to ou but the studios want money too and they do not make the bulk of their money from first weekend sales. They make their money over the life of a movie, including DVD sales. Microsoft is not out to get a sequel made, they want MONEY. You obviously were unable to think through my analogy, but Microsoft wants MONEY from Kinect not an impressive amount of opening sales. They want people to keep buying it as they will not make back the millions and millions they have invested in the system development by selling it well for one season and then watching it drop off.
You flat-out don't know what you're talking about. Seriously, go see how many games you can find that had great first-day sales but didn't make a lot of money.

Or, hell, just look at the Halo: Reach numbers- $200M revenue on the first day. That's that "money" thing you keep capitalizing.

Meanwhile, what Microsoft needs in order to make MONEY from Kinect is enough people buying it at launch to establish an install base, make headlines (a extremely good form of advertising), gain momentum, and make sure developers are willing to devote resources to Kinect games. Microsoft is dumping a lot of MONEY into Kinect's launch for that very reason.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
A. I have yet to see a televised Kinect commercial.

B. If the 3DS is really launching in November, then the sales of anything else, software or hardware, is going to be significantly lower.

C. People who don't own a 360 and want to get some of the more data-consuming games will have to pay a lot more than 150 U.S. dollars.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
If they drop the price to 35-45$ then maybe, but there still isn't a must have game. Dance Central? That's a lot money for a party game especially when the Wii has Just Dance 2.

There is nothing new or ground breaking. None of the facial recognition, sign language, hanging out with the creepy kid from The Sixth Sense and passing him my drawings. Games using Kinetic should focus on light subtle movements and facial/voice recognition to make them more immersive(rather then flailing around even more then the Wii). I know things like sign language and Milo are amazingly difficult to program but there are a lot of more simplistic uses for Kinetic.

Here are a few easy ideas off the top of my head:

-In horror game say the player is hiding, maybe use Kinetic to see if they can stay still.

-If the player starts cursing a lot or yelling at the screen and they're face looks mad maybe
give them some good luck(like have something good happen or make the game a little more easy)

-A sequel to Sea Man.

-Imagine if a war game called you a hippy for having long hair.

-Using facial recognition to guess how much the player likes a character in a RPGs and changing the story to match. So many great RPGs have open and changing stories already.

If Kinetic is just going to be a hyper active wii it will have to come down a lot in price. There's nothing new, nothing for hardcore gamers, and the casual games already have a Wii.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
All I can say is that I won't be one of those people buying one during the holidays.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
someone need to rub this in his face when it sells less than half that! please!
SHUT UP!

THIS GOES FOR EVERYBODY WHO SAYS IT'LL SELL POORLY! YOU. WILL. JINX. IT.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Everything I've seen on these new motion systems is laughable at best. I've yet to see video that shows it actually working and I've also yet to see a video that makes it look fun. I wonder how a paraplegic "gamer" would feel about this newest wave of game tech.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
BrunDeign said:
DTWolfwood said:
someone need to rub this in his face when it sells less than half that! please!
SHUT UP!

THIS GOES FOR EVERYBODY WHO SAYS IT'LL SELL POORLY! YOU. WILL. JINX. IT.
what are u saying it will sell well? if it does thats isnt a bad thing either XD Not like Kinect is the devil or anything.

Its just that these analyst need some1 to check them when they are wrong or just pulling numbers out of their asses. I mean hell i can say stuff like that too but i don't get paid to be wrong :p

Videogame industry Analyst = Weather Man, Paid to be vague and often times incorrect Booo! XD