Microsoft Questions Move's Motion Credentials

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
04whim said:
Sounds like a point in Move's favour to me, that it can do original and port games...
This was my thought...of course I think Kinect is useless trash.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
lets not forget that the kinetic, which was supposed to have its own processor and etc, and all that was cut to cut the costs.

so any game that uses kinetic will have to have to use the xbox's processor and ram to run kinetic + the game. which is going to cut into the games power. i imagine it is much harder to take a cod or other older games that were designed to use 100% of the xbox's resources and squeeze in kinetic processing.

it is good to see fatcat companies snipe each other i mean sonys been sniping at kinetic and now ms is sniping back, it is just like grade school but with millions of dollars at stake.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Didn't the Move just take Wii Sports and make it pretty? It's the first slew of games for "teh hardcorez" and Microsoft shouldn't bother criticising the Move, because they're most probably going to sell more units than Sony are.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
latenightapplepie said:
meganmeave said:
I wish they'd stop picking on each other and just create something worth playing.
You read my mind.

Microsoft and Sony, stop saying the rival product is rubbish, and that yours is excellent. It's all empty marketing/spin. How about you actually make some good games for this new technology? That's how you'll get my money.
Funny....Microsoft or Sony "making a good game." I think you mean "pay others to do what you can't do." That's why this is stupid. Console wars used to mean something. You can be an Xbox fan or a PS3 fan, but you really can't be a Microsoft or Sony fan....unless your a hardcore marketing and general electronics fan.

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
What's the deal with all of the publicity for these broken motion control devices? It's like anytime somebody even mentions one, it becomes a news article.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Christemo said:
Microsoft are just trying to be cool by bashing Sony. kinect is honestly gonna be an epic failure. am not saying Sony hasnt done anything wrong either, but Kinect will be catastrophe.
I agree, I mean Nintendo has had the virtual boy, it was innovative, but a failure, Sony has had the PSPGo, it was innovative, but a failure, now microsoft has the kinect, it isn't innovative (though this is a company that has been doing nothing but plagerising everything innovative since 2002 so what do you expect) and will most likely be a failure

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I own an Xbox 360. I had really good customer service from Microsoft and support them normally. I actually support Kinect and really want to get the add-on, when I can afford to. And yet, I find myself sick and tired of the constant bickering between Microsoft and Sony over which form of motion-control is better.

At the end of the day, the two companies are rivals. Of course they're going to do anything to undermine each other and try to reduce their competitors' sales. That much is obvious, it's just standard business practice. Really, I say consumers should just try both, or whichever they prefer, and buy whatever works best for them or they enjoy more. Or buy the system that works with their own console, rather than listen to the endless arguing over whose product is better. Because that's the only way consumers will get what they want, or need, rather than playing into the hands of the big-business fatcats.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Josh12345 said:
Christemo said:
Microsoft are just trying to be cool by bashing Sony. kinect is honestly gonna be an epic failure. am not saying Sony hasnt done anything wrong either, but Kinect will be catastrophe.
I agree, I mean Nintendo has had the virtual boy, it was innovative, but a failure, Sony has had the PSPGo, it was innovative, but a failure, now microsoft has the kinect, it isn't innovative (though this is a company that has been doing nothing but plagerising everything innovative since 2002 so what do you expect) and will most likely be a failure
true. other companies has had failures, this just looks wayyy worse.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
stranamente said:
"Microsoft didn't want players to have to chose between a regular controller and motion controller, he said, instead it wanted games to be played with whichever peripheral gave the best experience"
... and then proceeded to copy every silly pop-corn game from wii, with slightly better graphics and the same lag between motion and response.

Why didn't they even try to do some "point and click adventure" Monkey Island style with kinect?
Or a RTS with kinect?
No. Party games.
Right.
That's quite innovative, isn't it?
And Sony isn't making party games? They are.. and it's terrible. I tried a few of the games for the Move and I'm not terribly convinced that they were too outside of the box either as far as innovation goes.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Sebenko said:
Everyone come quick! Two stupid kids are having a slap fight over who is the most stupid!
This is easily the best way to describe the current MS-Sony one upmanship. So MS/Sony, uhm...how do those motion control things make the actual gaming better? Anybody? *crickets*

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
teqrevisited said:
"Microsoft didn't want players to have to choose" Sounds an awful lot like "Microsoft didn't want players to be able to choose" to me.
That's exactly what it sounded like to me.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Whatever happened to SixAxis? I mean I can only think of a couple of games that actually used it that weren't early PS3 titles.
It thankfully rolled over and died. Games are better off without the Sixaxis. With Wii or Move, you're already expecting that you need to be holding the controller just so for it to work. But the Sixaxis is an asshole. Here you are sitting back, enjoying a nice game of Uncharted. You're nice and comfy where you are, when all of a sudden... LOG CROSSING SECTION! Please hold your controller just so or you won't pass this section. So much for being nice and comfy.

meganmeave said:
And really, it's hard for me to care about any of these products anymore. Both Sony and Microsoft are spending so much time comparing their god damned dick size, they are forgetting the most important aspect of their new peripherals.

I wish they'd stop picking on each other and just create something worth playing.
Ship this post off to everyone at Sony and Microsoft. Maybe, just maybe, they'll wake the hell up.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Kinectimals = Nintendogs with motion controls

Kinect Adventure = [Insert Crappy Party Game Here] with motion controls

Kinect Sports (Or whatever their token sports thing is called) = Wii Sports (Hey I see a similarity already) with... well... even MORE motion controls.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Well, since Kinect takes the controller away, it would be really hard to just "Slap the hardware onto regular games like halo and the such." It's actually possible for Move to do such things, and the wii for that matter. So I see this as Microsoft realizing that they have to be selective in what they do and have decided the approach of bashing other companies to try to make themselves look good...

What failure has besieged thee?

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
It's like Nintendo decided to build a wagon and Sony copied their idea while attempting to improve upon the original design (we'll see...). Then Microsoft took a peak at Nintendo's idea but said "HA! We'll make a wagon with octagons wheels! 'Cause we're different!"

The Wii and Move have a controller so they do not rely strictly on spasmodic actions to control a game. Kinect is exclusively Kinect, so it is quite a weighty investment given its questionable future library. At least the Wii and Move are not so firmly locked because they have a more "mix and match" approach. It's a lot more functional to add a Wii-waggle/MoveMent mixed in with standard button pressing, whereas a Kinect random jumping-off-the-Kouch-to-wave gameplay is not practical. I'll take tacked-on motion control that I don't have to use rather than lose out on games because I don't want another add-on from Microsoft.

Killzone 3 for instance, will accommodate all PS3 users along with those who purchase Move. Microsoft's X amount of Kinect-designed games are limited to whoever shells out for their next potential hardware disaster $150 peripheral.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
It's like Nintendo decided to build a wagon and Sony copied their idea while attempting to improve upon the original design (we'll see...). Then Microsoft took a peak at Nintendo's idea but said "HA! We'll make a wagon with octagons wheels! 'Cause we're different!"

The Wii and Move have a controller so they do not rely strictly on spasmodic actions to control a game. Kinect is exclusively Kinect, so it is quite a weighty investment given its questionable future library. At least the Wii and Move are not so firmly locked because they have a more "mix and match" approach. It's a lot more functional to add a Wii-waggle/MoveMent mixed in with standard button pressing, whereas a Kinect random jumping-off-the-Kouch-to-wave gameplay is not practical. I'll take tacked-on motion control that I don't have to use rather than lose out on games because I don't want another add-on from Microsoft.

Killzone 3 for instance, will accommodate all PS3 users along with those who purchase Move. Microsoft's X amount of Kinect-designed games are limited to whoever shells out for their next potential hardware disaster $150 peripheral.
Very true. For Kinect you pay $150 and have a library of what 5 titles and the promise of more assuming it doesn't go belly up. Plus the knowledge that these are about the best your going to get. I.E. This is the only type of game you are most likely going to gte since it can't handle most standard game types. For Move you get the same type of titles (super casual) plus pretty much any game Sony can convince the devs to add some motion support or at least make it more like the Wii (i.e. the Wii has tons of different genres). Plus if you don't want to be an early adoptor, you can still buy most of the games since they allow regular controller support and then decide if the catalogue and reveiws are good enough.

So essentially it seem that Move is miles ahead of Kinect (assuming Sony really does mean to support it longer term since they are expecting the numbers to steadily grow) but neither is a real winner here since if people cared about this they'd already own the Wii and I imgine the Move/Kenect knock off games cost significantly more than those titles do on the Wii (plus you know the Wii costs less as well).