Microsoft Responds to 360 Failure Rate Survey

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
DRADIS C0ntact said:
I would have written off Microsoft and the 360 a long time ago if it weren't for Achievements. It may be weird, but achievements are the only reason why I own a 360, and the only reason why I prefer it over my PS3. I know the PS3 has trophies...and I can't put my finger on it...but I frakkin hate the trophy system. I much prefer achievements.
Do you consider yourself a gamer? If its just for the achievements maybe you should get a great computer and get the orange box lol.

Standby

Jul 24, 2008
Haha Microsoft are so arrogant i love it. Although in their situation, who wouldn't be?

RyuGaiden

Nov 20, 2008
I read the article, and Game Informer surveyed just over 5,000 people for this article. So of the 5,000 people, 2500+ of those people have had defective 360's. I'm lucky that I haven't had a 360 break on me yet (knocks on wood) but I'm just dreading the day that it does, and I know I'll be out of warranty by that point. I don't think total failure rates are at 54%, but I would venture a guess that it would be around 33%, which is still too much for a console. But most 360 owners are too stupid and addicted to Halo that they won't play anything else, so they just keep on getting their 360's fixed.

Here's an idea for people who wonder why their 360's keep breaking: put it in a smoke-free, dust-free place and keep the system and the power brick as far away from each other as possible (and with room to breathe), preferably on each side of a wrought-iron fence made of tigers.

WJeff

Aug 14, 2009
My XBox came with an RRoD. It was supposedly factory refurbished, but that didn't stop it from not working the second I plugged it in. I returned it to the store instead of sending it to MS, because I didn't want to put up with that kind of bullshit again, as I knew I inevitably would have to. So I didn't buy another one. Instead, I bought an 8800GT and have been enjoying PC games ever since.

We really are in the generation of worst made consoles. For the first year or two, PS3's were very quick to overheat, getting a lot of criticism from the 360 fanboys. Then, almost as if on a schedule, nearly every 360 started breaking, and they still do. Even this new Jasper chipset doesn't work, for the few who manage to get their hands on one. The PS3 seems to be in working order by now (They're making a Slim, so heat can't be much of a problem anymore), and the Wii is the most durable console seeing as it doesn't use anything that can be classified as advanced hardware. However, our household Wii does make a loud cracking sound a few minutes after being turned off, and I would be worried if I cared about it at all.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Machines Are Us said:
I bought my 360 second hand and it got the RROD as well as a faulty disc drive. I had it replaced with a brand new one within a week of sending it off as well as a free month of Live so I wasn't complaining.

Only an addict can seriously ***** about a week off of their console, it's good for you in many ways, especially if you played it too much like I did.
I'm glad I waited on getting a 360. You guys sound like a bunch of battered housewives: "Yes the 360 set my room on fire and beat me senseless but don't blame MS, I was asking for it. It was good for me; I was being too needy."
It's okay MachinesRUs, it's not your fault.

Yea, I guess the rrod was a parental incentive program: "hey moms & dads, now your kid will HAVE to go for a couple of weeks without video games." That seriously is the weirdest excuse I've heard yet.

Was there anything in their announcement about the results of the new models which aren't supposed to get rrod? If they're able to permanently fix it, I just might get one but every time I think they're going to announce that the problem is officially in the past, they just come out with some sony-like self-important blowhard statement like the one in the article.

Durahan2

Mar 12, 2009
Well I've had a xbox 360 since launch, it hadn't red ringed yet. So I can't immage the pain you all must go through. Then again I can totally see this a ps3 fantard's playground, and then the xbox fanbois will just defend it rabidly. Sigh, effectivelu making gamers everywhere look bad.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
An atypical PR release thing that actually says nothing. In fact, the summary Tom's stuck up there is mostly just fabrication based off the company's actions. A more accurate summary of that "release" would be:

Hey guys, we're awesome!
Which is what all companies do when the shit hits the fan. Sony and Nintendo have pulled this a few times as well, along with Blizzard, Activision, EA, Ubisoft, the list goes on.

Which reminds me: I thought Tom was here beforehand, but it seems he's actually new according to his join date. So, welcome Tom!

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
sunami88 said:
I had my 360 for like 3 years, and it never broke down on me. I'm the only person I know that's gone half that long....
And now you know two!

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
I got an E-74 error, sent it in and got a replacement in a week, and a free month of Xbox-live. With any other console it would have taken longer and not come with a 1 month apology. So MS screwed up, but they're good at making it better.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Machines Are Us said:
I bought my 360 second hand and it got the RROD as well as a faulty disc drive. I had it replaced with a brand new one within a week of sending it off as well as a free month of Live so I wasn't complaining.

Only an addict can seriously ***** about a week off of their console, it's good for you in many ways, especially if you played it too much like I did.
I'm glad I waited on getting a 360. You guys sound like a bunch of battered housewives: "Yes the 360 set my room on fire and beat me senseless but don't blame MS, I was asking for it. It was good for me; I was being too needy."
It's okay MachinesRUs, it's not your fault.

Yea, I guess the rrod was a parental incentive program: "hey moms & dads, now your kid will HAVE to go for a couple of weeks without video games." That seriously is the weirdest excuse I've heard yet.
I didn't say it was justified in any way, you are putting words in my mouth which I would prefer you didn't.

Read my post again before giving such an idiotic reply, I shall dumb it down, but I really shouldn't have to.

I bought an Xbox 360 second hand - usually a bad idea to do with electronics.
It was faulty - this is bad.
I got a brand new one for free - I basically got a brand new xbox and a free month of online play for the price of a second hand one.

Simple enough for you?

daz_O_O

Click me I'm here!
Aug 27, 2008
I had 1 x360 die on me, bought it pre-owned and it lasted 20 months before finally E74'ing on NEW YEARS EVE =(
Merry Christmas! Now you have time and money to but those uber cool games you've been waiting all year for...
I was somewhat peeved to say the least and since mine was officially launch console it was out of warrantee.

I ended up buying a new one from Argos and switching it with my old one to take back as faulty for a refund. Most unnerving 10 minutes of my life when I took it back.

Thank MS! You're awesome policy turned me into a criminal! And people blame GTA...

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I haven't had an issue with my own 360 but I have a friend who has. My unit is a falcon and not really that old so I guess I should wait a while before saying that. 53% is basically impossible, the logistics of such a high failure rate would cost Microsoft so much it wouldn't be worth selling the console at all.

Yes, 360s have a high failure rate but the survey in question is not scientific in any way and does not use a random sampling so its results are not just questionable, but totally irrelevant. If I was to survey 10 of my friends and then publish the results the failure rate of the 360 could easily be rated as 0%, I just have to ask the right 10 people.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
sunami88 said:
I had my 360 for like 3 years, and it never broke down on me. I'm the only person I know that's gone half that long...

I still think 54% is too high though. But what're you gonna do, (IMHO) it is the console with the best games going...
no from all accounts of game store employees and other places, it's not that far off, i think the issue is a lot worse than we really know. i'm just shocked they haven't gotten sued over this

DRADIS C0ntact said:
I would have written off Microsoft and the 360 a long time ago if it weren't for Achievements. It may be weird, but achievements are the only reason why I own a 360, and the only reason why I prefer it over my PS3. I know the PS3 has trophies...and I can't put my finger on it...but I frakkin hate the trophy system. I much prefer achievements.
it's the same system tho, all the multi-platform games have the exact same trophies/achievements. so really you hate both if you hate the one. tho they've said they are considering giving bonuses for getting certain trophies

ElegantSwordsman

Jun 17, 2008
My buddy's on his third 360 now and that's why I will never ever own one. Meanwhile my trusty old NES is still kicking strong... too bad it's release schedule is nonexistent :p

Ceefax

Mar 14, 2009
I dunno if the high failure rates are a US thing or what but i don't know anyone who's had the red ring of death. I'm on my second 360 but that's because i traded my first in for one with a HD port out.

I know one guy who's on his 4 Ps3 though, 2 of them had the same blue ray drive failure and it cost him £145 on the last one to get it fixed, the other's were random mobo failures it seemed.

Doctor Panda

Apr 17, 2008
I'm pretty sure the 54% is an overestimation: there's a reason for that too. The people who subscribe to magazines are more likely to be avid gamers, and therefore more likely to have acquired one of the early models. These were more prone to breaking. In addition, as has been said before, they may not have used any sort of random sampling. It was probably just 'write in with this survey and win' or some shit. It stands to reason that more people who've had a 360 break on them and were all pissed off about it could be bothered writing in; the survey is more likely to catch their eye in any event. Then again it could have been a telephone survey, i just haven't seen any source that says.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
Well, Mine is fairly new so it hasn't broken down on me yet. So I have yet to deal with their customer service. However I have to say that Nintendo has some of the best customer service.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Regardless of those ugly numbers, I'm still going to pick up a 360 once I get my life back on track.

Steel Ronin

Apr 14, 2009
the only console that's more defective than the 360 is the Atari 5200.Makes me feel old saying it though.