Microsoft Reveals Halo 4 Launch Date

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Microsoft Reveals Halo 4 Launch Date

Conan viewers will have the first look.

Microsoft Studios has confirmed that Halo 4 will arrive worldwide on November 6, 2012, a full five years after Bungie's third installment of the popular franchise's core series hit shelves in 2007. Halo 4 will return to the tale of Master Chief but, for the first time, be handled by a new developer, 343 Industries.

Details are tight, but Microsoft has revealed that the game will be set a full four years after the events of Halo 3, and feature a story in which Master Chief must "confront his destiny" and "save the universe." (Admit it, there's no way you saw that coming). Though Halo 4 will continue the storyline set up from the first three games, it will mark a "new beginning" for both the character and the series, and kick off what 343 Industries is calling the "Reclaimer Saga."

"We are beginning a new saga with Halo 4 and embarking on a journey that will encompass the next decade of Halo games and experiences," said Phil Spencer, corporate vice president of Microsoft Studios. "Millions of fans worldwide have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to step back into the boots of Master Chief, and, with Halo 4 leading the charge, we're confident 2012 will be the most successful year in Xbox history."

If you're eager for more information, be sure to tune into Conan on TBS, April 17th at 11 P.M. PDT for what Microsoft is simply describing as "a special segment" celebrating the November launch of Halo 4. It remains to be seen if 343 Industries can match quality with the much-beloved Bungie, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the game won't hurt for sales. After all, it does have the word "Halo" in the title.

Loud Hawk

Jun 8, 2009
Beat you to it ;)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.369845-Halo-4-Release-Worldwide-November-6th#14335537

OT: I am not really a Halo fan, but I will still keep an eye on this game.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Well I guess I am watching Conan tonight. I am really curious to see what 343 can do. I hate to say I wasn't all that impressed with some of their maps, but I think that I just got used to the way Bungie did things and need to remember that 343 is not Bungie and they will have their own spin and take on things.

Crossing fingers and hoping for a good game!

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Serious question - do that many people still buy Halo games? It seems as if the franchise has taken a backseat since Modern Warefare and Battlefield made serious waves.

Anniversary barely got any hype at all here in the UK. I thought maybe people were all halo'd out.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Sorry, but as big a Halo fan as I am, I'm not watching Conan for any reason. Also, I no longer have an Xbox.

Still... Halo.

I guess YouTube will have some interesting stuff for me tomorrow.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
Terramax said:
Serious question - do that many people still buy Halo games? It seems as if the franchise has taken a backseat since Modern Warefare and Battlefield made serious waves.

Anniversary barely got any hype at all here in the UK. I thought maybe people were all halo'd out.
true but I'm also Battlefielded and ModernWarfare'd out.
But continuing a saga after we thought that Reach was the final installment is like digging up corpses for sexual entertainmend.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Oh boy, here we go again. I am pretty neutral on the whole Halo thing but I just foresee the traditional flamewars popping up here and among other places on the web too.

Loud Hawk said:
Beat you to it ;)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.369845-Halo-4-Release-Worldwide-November-6th#14335537
It's not a race. :p

Anyway I don't usually watch Conan anyway. I have no interest in the game myself but my halo fanboy friend will keep me up to date whether I like it or not.

Loud Hawk

Jun 8, 2009
Redlin5 said:
Loud Hawk said:
Beat you to it ;)

It's not a race. :p
That's what she said.

Sadly, It's always a race and I always finish first :'(

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The title should be: MS reveals Halo 4 date, and MovieBob blows a gasket about it on twitter!".

Because: "Halo 4 releasing on election day? Holy shit. Obama camp in minor panic-mode right now, garaunteed." and "Seriously, the Romney campaign could not have ASKED for a better solution to keeping the youth vote away from the polls. #Halo4"...

Now THERE's your discussion value on this topic!

My two cents: Person of voting age goes to pick up Halo 4, votes on the way there - doesn't sound impossible... Take 15 mins out of your day, then go frag after. Not too much to ask, I hope.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Coming out in November?

Microsoft is going to have its work cut out for them.

Why? What other yearly-serialised yet massively successful FPS games were released in November 2011?

This is gonna be one interesting sales war to come.

May 29, 2011
I didn't even like halo 1, and 2 was just okay. The third one had pretty solid gameplay, if a bit repetetive and the story was average. So I was hoping they'd make things a bit more interesting storywise but if "realise his destiny" is any indication they really fucking didn't.
Of course Reach had a much more interesting story, and more varied gameplay. If they keep making proggress with Halo 4 this game series might go from "slightly above average" to "actually very good".

I'll definately pick it up for the multiplayer anyway but I feel like I'm going to be disappointed.

Lattyware

Jun 15, 2011
Halo is this massive universe with range and diversity, and they make Halo 4 just follow the Chief around again. Ugh. There is so much in the way of cool stuff they could have done with the Halo universe - I guess they got put off by the mediocre reception ODST got.

Halo has this great plot - the books are actually excellent and help expand out an already very good storyline which seems to go over a lot of people's heads as they write it off as 'space marine shoots aliens'.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
"Confront his destiny and save the universe" ugh, way to actively make me not give a shit. Plus Ill bet money that within 3 weeks of that we will also have another cod game and a medal of honor game, along with some other games that are probably actually good.

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
I'm interested as I'm not a massive COD fan and there really haven't been that many fun Sci-Fi shooters in recent times.

Mar 26, 2008
I'm hoping to see Halo returned to it's former glory. I'm not really a Halo fanboy, but I have some real fond memories of when I first played Halo: CE. None of the others have quite captured the magic for me, but Reach was a step in the right direction.

Ciryher

Apr 6, 2011
Lattyware said:
Halo is this massive universe with range and diversity, and they make Halo 4 just follow the Chief around again. Ugh. There is so much in the way of cool stuff they could have done with the Halo universe - I guess they got put off by the mediocre reception ODST got.

Halo has this great plot - the books are actually excellent and help expand out an already very good storyline which seems to go over a lot of people's heads as they write it off as 'space marine shoots aliens'.
Having it follow the Chief isn't necessarily a bad thing, particularly considering where they left him after 3, so I'm hoping they do something interesting with the property (the books are interesting - even with all the plot/universe holes), and if you compare Halo Wars and ODST to the main series it makes a lot of sense to go back to where the money is. While I'll probably pick it up regardless, I'd love to see them do something ambitious from a gameplay perspective like make it an RPG or something crazy like that.

Although all that "Confront his destiny" stuff makes me want to puke.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
What's really good news to me is that this game has gotten a very generous amount of time in development. Further, they're focusing on the right things. Trying to move past the original trilogy and create it's own identity which is also a very good sign.

But I will say this though. And I know they know it more than anyone else. They better freaking bring their biggest guns to the table on this one. The Halo trilogy is a VERY hard thing to live up to. Also, this will be the game that will shape everyone's opinions about 343 as a developer. If they're going to get any game right, it better freaking be this one. Everyone's watching. Now, can they do the rest and carry it home?