Microsoft Says User-Created Master Chief Is Okay With Them

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
rossatdi said:
Is this an April Fool's joke? Microsoft not suing someone?
No, it isn't. Check the posting date for the original article. (Including year, by the way... the article was necro'd by Arionis.)

For all the grief folks give Microsoft[sup]*[/sup], sometimes they really do get it right... and their content usage policy, I'd argue, is one of things they got right. (Not perfect, but what is?)

-- Steve

[sup]*[/sup]And vice-versa, of course.

karmapolizei

Sep 26, 2008
sanzo said:
Aren't both Halo 1 and 2 out on PC as well? I guess since MS likes to ignore the fact they're losing to Nintendo they figure they can ignore PCs as well
They're actually doing better. Back in 2000, Bungie was developing Halo FOR THE PC, then MS came, bought them up and declared Halo exclusive system seller for the upcoming XBox. They released a pretty bad port for the PC later, which, to its credit, was not as bad as the similiarly delayed Halo 2 port. Basically, MS has been dicks to the PC gaming audience since the conception of XBox while paying lip-service to the contrary.

They're getting better, I think. Although, wait. No: They replaced being dicks with shooting themselves in the foot. Like, by offering a really shiny piece of technology named Direct3D 10 exclusively on a platform that no one really wanted, said platform being Windows Vista. I hope this will get better, what with DX11 being available to seven and Vista, so that developers can finally start to put all these nice features to use (and there really are some, especially 11 seems to have some stuff up its sleeve). I'm rambling, right?

I like Gowan's statement and the course of action. It's comforting to see that there seem to be companies without legal staff going berserk all the time. And for the last part - well, the stupid console wars are so much more fun when they're fought not by inarticulate teenage fanboys but by snappy coporate execs :D

psyko1

Mar 20, 2009
It is surprising since ms is known for taking issue with everything. Glad to see they are lightening up a little. Maybe a little hope for them yet...

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Eh, I'm not that enthusiastic about this whole deal. A while back, MS killed a user-created Halo mod for C&C Generals, looong before Halo Wars ever came out, basically saying "you will shut down or we will see you in court". And now they're saying that it's all right to basically do just what those guys at the mod (can't remember its name) did, namely mod Halo content into another game out of enthusiasm.

Not cool, Microsoft. Not cool.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Despite his magnanimous attitude, McGowan couldn't resist a parting shot at Sony's competing console. "This will also remind people of just how great the Halo games are and remind them that if they're done with the user-created faux-Halo experience, the real Halo is available only on the Xbox 360. And no one is taking characters from PlayStation games (do they even have any games?) and putting them on our platform...

Poor guy, he was just starting to sound like a rational person and then says some stupid fanboy crap like this.

What 360 game has modding capability on it anyway? I'm asking because he said "and putting them on our platform".