Microsoft Scouring All Traces of Xbox 720 Design Doc

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
uncanny474 said:
You're right, Andy, it COULD be a legit document that they don't want consumers to see... OR they could just be trying to stop consumers to get their hopes up because the document is fake.

Seriously? Eight-core processor? Full backwards compatability? A working Kinect?

Give me a break. Next you're going to say it doesn't need to be plugged in because it's powered by Cold Fusion.

EDIT: I'm not saying that it's IMPOSSIBLE (except for the working Kinect), but I AM saying that we're talking about a machine more powerful than my computer, which cost me about a thousand or so USD and is about 2 years old. Selling something like that for 300 USD is just madness. They're not just taking a loss, they're HOBBLING themselves.
It's more than possible. Just because it's an eight-core processor doesn't mean their internal clock speeds are all astronomically powerful. If each core clocks in at 500 MHz then it's well within the realm of possible, but there's more benefit to having multiple clocks than a single powerful unit. (ie: one core for multitask, one for voice, one for kinect, one for backwards compat, one for video, etc)

Backwards compatibility is also INCRDIBLY easy. Don't think it's impossible thanks to Sony slapping an extra Emotion Engine chip into a PS3 then pulling it from later models and charging for digital DL of PS2 games (sneaky bastards) and leaving the public thinking "gee it must be hard to implement backwards compatibility." It's like saying it's impossible to play a game designed for Windows 98 on Windows 7, it's all 0s and 1s at the end of the day, as long as their BIOS works (like say, taking one of the 8 cores) it'll be fine.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Deshin said:
It's more than possible. Just because it's an eight-core processor doesn't mean their internal clock speeds are all astronomically powerful. If each core clocks in at 500 MHz then it's well within the realm of possible, but there's more benefit to having multiple clocks than a single powerful unit. (ie: one core for multitask, one for voice, one for kinect, one for backwards compat, one for video, etc)

Backwards compatibility is also INCRDIBLY easy. Don't think it's impossible thanks to Sony slapping an extra Emotion Engine chip into a PS3 then pulling it from later models and charging for digital DL of PS2 games (sneaky bastards) and leaving the public thinking "gee it must be hard to implement backwards compatibility." It's like saying it's impossible to play a game designed for Windows 98 on Windows 7, it's all 0s and 1s at the end of the day, as long as their BIOS works (like say, taking one of the 8 cores) it'll be fine.
I'm not saying an eight-core processor isn't easy to program. I'm not computer-savvy enough to know that. I'm saying that an eight-core processor, in itself, is stupidly expensive, no matter what it's clocked at.

And it depends on how obtuse the OS is. For instance, yes, I can play 98 games on Win7, but I have to reconfigure half my settings or implement a Virtual Box to do it. And forget about playing Win3.1 games, even WITH an emulator. I bought the GOG version of Wing Commander 1&2, and I STILL haven't figured out how to get the damn thing to run.

Knowing Microsoft, Xbox 180's OS is an absolute mess, and 360 isn't much better.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
Tsaba said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Tsaba said:
DVS BSTrD said:
It certainly is a suspicious degree of damage control.
I don't see your angle on this one.
Then you must be quite obtuse.
I would normally describe myself as Acute, but, for you I think I can make an exception.
WHAT THE FU IS THE JOKE?! I AINT GOT A SINGLE ONE OF EM!

I really cant comprehend them D: Are they some sort of spin on the "lawyer thingy"? What with the "Degree" and all?

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Dr Jones said:
Tsaba said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Tsaba said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I would normally describe myself as Acute, but, for you I think I can make an exception.
WHAT THE FU IS THE JOKE?! I AINT GOT A SINGLE ONE OF EM!

I really cant comprehend them D: Are they some sort of spin on the "lawyer thingy"? What with the "Degree" and all?
doubly posting.

the joke is that (i'm assuming here...) 360 is a degree, it's a full circle, the 720 is two full circles, acute and obtuse are also words relating to angles and degrees.

Mar 26, 2008
Seems like Microsoft is pulling the old "Nothing to see here.. move along".

Is it a coincidence that Fortaleza and Natal are both Brazilian cities and Microsoft code names?

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Now that I have the document, I'm gonna print a hard copy. Then frame it for prosperity's sake. Fuck ups like this always make for great conversation pieces I find.

kir4

May 1, 2008
I assume they want it to be taken down because their candidate release console won't live up to that. So if this document is well known anything less then this when released will be met with "meh".

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
It's probably damage control.. or really clever marketing. Up until now I had zero interest in even buying one or caring about it. Now i'm interested.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Tsaba said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Tsaba said:
DVS BSTrD said:
You guys are bringing this discussion full circle, aren't you?

OT: I think I agree with baaserik. It is more likely that they don't want to disappoint people. Microsoft would have to be VERY desperate to charge just $300.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
knowing Microsoft it's a controlled interest test to see how viable launching the 720 soon is.

i simply don't believe anyone anymore.