Microsoft to Drop Xbox Live Gold Requirement For Netflix, Hulu - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Microsoft to Drop Xbox Live Gold Requirement For Netflix, Hulu - Update

Multiple sources suggest that Netflix and Hulu on Xbox One will no longer be pay-gated by Xbox Live Gold.

Update: Microsoft has confirmed [http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices] that its streaming apps for Xbox 360 and Xbox One (including Netflix and Hulu) will indeed no longer be behind the Xbox Live Gold paywall, meaning anyone with an Xbox Live account can use them.

Original Story: If you want to use Netflix or Hulu on your Xbox 360 or Xbox One right now, you have to be an Xbox Live Gold member, which effectively means you have to subscribe to a paid service... in order to use a paid service. It's a little bit silly, and now, multiple sources are suggesting that even Microsoft has noticed just how silly this is. According to the Ars Techinca [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/05/rumor-xbox-live-to-remove-gold-requirement-for-netflix-hulu/] sources, Xbox users will soon no longer need a paid subscription to Xbox Live Gold to access Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming media apps.

However, it's not all good news. Other sources have suggested that Microsoft may shift other, currently free, services behind the Xbox Live Gold paywall to make up for this (though Ars Technica admits those sources could not confirm whether that includes existing services or if that only includes upcoming content like TV series from Xbox Entertainment Studios).

Apparently, this possible upcoming change in policy is directly linked to a changing of the Xbox guard after Don Mattrick left the company [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125553-Xbox-President-Don-Mattrick-Leaving-For-Zynga-UPDATED] to become Zynga's CEO.

Just for reference, both Sony and Nintendo do not charge any kind of additional fee for users to be able to access streaming media apps on their systems.

If true, this is certainly a step in the right direction, as it is somewhat ridiculous that Netflix and Hulu are paygated, considering Microsoft's focus on the system being a media center.

We've reached out to Microsoft for comment on this story and will update if they respond.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/05/rumor-xbox-live-to-remove-gold-requirement-for-netflix-hulu/]

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Wait; Microsoft was charging people money to use the services they were already paying money for on their console?

How can one company be that stupid/greedy. Is there no one working there that has a brain and a degree of common sense?

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I wouldn't be so quick to celebrate.

"However, it's not all good news. Other sources have suggested that Microsoft may shift other, currently free, services behind the Xbox Live Gold paywall to make up for this"

The question I'd like to know is, what is being put behind the paywall to make up for this?

CAPCHA: Bait the line. (I hope I'm not doing this... Oo-er!)

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Vivi22 said:
Wait; Microsoft was charging people money to use the services they were already paying money for on their console?

How can one company be that stupid/greedy. Is there no one working there that has a brain and a degree of common sense?
Microsoft did it because they like making money and because they could. Their costumers just let them get away with it, whether out of apathy, laziness, or ignorance.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Huh...that sounds reasonable. People are already paying for Hulu and Netflix so it always struck me as kind of dumb that Microsoft made another paywall for people to overcome. Good to hear them taking that particular anti-consumer feature out...

Gunner 51 said:
I wouldn't be so quick to celebrate.

"However, it's not all good news. Other sources have suggested that Microsoft may shift other, currently free, services behind the Xbox Live Gold paywall to make up for this"

The question I'd like to know is, what is being put behind the paywall to make up for this?

CAPCHA: Bait the line. (I hope I'm not doing this... Oo-er!)
What in the world COULD they put behind the pay-wall? All I used my 360 for was gaming and you can't play XBLA games offline...unless they put gameplay itself behind the paywall I can't think what else they would ask people to pay for...unless they still haven't launched the fantasy football league app thing...

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
Yeah, I ditched Gold a loooong time ago. I'll just use my PS3/PS4 to watch things for free, thank you very much.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
RatherDull said:
This seems like a dumb move. There are people who exclusively use their Xbox to watch Netflix.
With the rise in popularity of dedicated streaming boxes (Apple TV, Roku, etc.) I think that's becoming less common. Although I'm sure there will be some decline in XBL Gold memberships because of this.

Too bad they didn't do this several years ago. I gave my 360 to my college-bound cousin because I never used it except for streaming, and decided to get a Roku instead. I might have kept it if I wasn't forced to pay that stupid XBL subscription for this basic functionality.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
Vivi22 said:

Doesn't Sony make you pay to play multiplayer games online even though you payed for the game and your internet already too?

Apr 5, 2008
Wasn't this the same reason there was such a delay in bringing the BBC's iPlayer to the 360? IIRC M$ wanted iPlayer to be locked behing the Gold subscription, which went against the BBC's mandate to provide their content for free.

Honestly, the only thing which should be behind the pay wall, is the multiplayer gaming and any "bonuses" (games for gold, etc) they want to give. 3rd party services shouldn't require a subscription to access, especially considering that (subscription aside), it's all free on PC.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Zac Jovanovic said:
Vivi22 said:

Doesn't Sony make you pay to play multiplayer games online even though you payed for the game and your internet already too?
So does Microsoft. Where are you going with this?

RatherDull said:
This seems like a dumb move. There are people who exclusively use their Xbox to watch Netflix.
I quit using my Xbox completely because of this. My blu-ray player, my Wii, my Wii U, my PS3, my PC, my tablets and my TV also let me stream using Netflix. Why use the one device that gives me a worse deal than literally everything else?

Gunner 51 said:

A better question is why they need to put something else behind a paywall to make up for it. I pay for my internet connection to access anything internet related. I pay for Netflix to watch stuff on Netflix. Netflix is the one who needs to work on the apps and updates for it (and Microsoft charges them for daringto udate the stability, UI etc.) so why exactly are they entitled to our money?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Zac Jovanovic said:
Vivi22 said:

But most of those games are played on Sony's servers, which is where the money goes.

... And even then, unlike Microsoft, they don't charge you to play F2P games. STILL can't believe Microsoft does that...

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
Yopaz said:
So does Microsoft. Where are you going with this?
Nowhere at all, just didn't realize you had to have Gold to play online, is all.

Daym console market, you got even more fucked up since I left.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BrotherRool said:
Yay, Xbox Live is about to function under the most basic levels of common sense?
I'd think the most basic levels of common sense would be not charging extra for the privilege to play half your games.

But at least they'd be caught up with Sony....

Gunner 51 said:
More specifically, what CAN be?

Zac Jovanovic said:
To be fair, they only started that after they learned how many people would pay.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Well how about that? I might have a reason to plug my 360 back in again. (Electrical outlets are at a premium, and the 360 got ousted months ago).

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Excellent news, we shouldnt have to pay extra just to watch a service we already paid for. Personally i have zero interest in playing online, but i do love watching my movies.