Microsoft Trademark May Foil Sony's "Arc"

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
Meh, why don't they just call it the Sonymote? Or PS3Mote? From what I've seen it's just a Wiimote with Sony's name on it anyway. Then again it seems to work alot better that the Wiimote.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Thoughts of Sony Marketing Team: I wonder if we can use a word from the dictionary for this product?

Thoughts of Microsoft Marketing Team: I wonder if we can trademark the contents of the dictionary?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
hansari said:
Every time I see "arc" I think Indiana Jones and the Ark of the Covenant...

Which is why it's a terrible name for any device that doesn't melt your face off...
Perhaps twisting the device in a certain order causes God's Deathlight to burst forth, burning out your electronics, conjuring images of ghosts and then melts your face off.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Distorted Stu said:
Arc sounds liek something Sony would use, they are fairly creative with product names, Microsoft on the otherhand, are now. I mean.. xbox? Its a terrible name.
Yes, because 'Playstation 3' is completely unique and creative...

I'm sure Sony are just going to say, "Welp... We'll just name it something else" and frown at Microsoft.

Michael826

Aug 17, 2009
ad5x5 said:
Maybe they've been making us all think its going to be called Arc, which if we're honest has unfortunate connections with the French (for us English anyway).
(due to the capital letter - giving proper noun status)

Should be called the Sony Motion Action Recreation Tool

or SMART.

Feel free to use it Sony...
that wouldn't be such a bad idea. it makes more sense than "arc", anyway.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Stupid copyright laws, this is how products end up being called "Wii"

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
So wait, Microsoft claims ownership over actual words now?

I guess the phrase "story arc" belongs to them aswell then.
they dont claim to own the word just that that particular word to product recognition is trademarked. thus using the word to describe any other similar electronic product is an infringement. don't be so melodramatic. its not like Sony can't come up with a better name than "Arc" never liked the name for that controller anyways.

Rack said:
Stupid copyright laws, this is how products end up being called "Wii"
Nintendo intentionally called it that <.< they even made a whole press release to explain y when all the fanboys raged.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
Funny i am holding that mouse in my hand right now, its the best wireless portable mouse ive ever had..

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
Blimey said:
Those mice suck.

Just saying...

OT: Name games seem so childish. To me its the big-boy equivalent of two children slapping each other while screaming "BUT I HAD IT FIRST!"
really, why so, ive got one an ive had not a single problem..

Liiizard

Feb 5, 2010
They've already come up with a new name, and it's WAY lamer than Playstation Arc.

They're calling it: Playstation Move.

http://www.softsailor.com/news/20116-sony-reveals-playstation-move-motion-controller-release-date-is-fall-2010.html

:facepalm:

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
mrx19869 said:
Blimey said:
Those mice suck.

Just saying...

OT: Name games seem so childish. To me its the big-boy equivalent of two children slapping each other while screaming "BUT I HAD IT FIRST!"
really, why so, ive got one an ive had not a single problem..
Well, perhaps I should re-phrase.

"Those mice suck if you have large, deformed hands such as I do as punishment for using a computer several hours a day for the past 14 years."

I just found them uncomfortable. So I guess they don't really suck...more like my hands are full of failure.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I own neither a PC or a PS3, but even if I did, I can safely say that I would not be interested in either "Arc" product.