Microsoft wants to kill PC gaming

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Its never really that amazing to me that people knee-jerk hate on Microsoft because of a news article that mentions them.
It's not exactly like they're alone in this regard, though. Especially, it seems, in gaming circles.
No they really aren't. Seems like if any large corporation (except for Valve) gets a mention in news or a forum post there's usually a large negative reaction that doesn't always seem warranted to whatever news item or discussion is posted. Ah well.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Talking about GoW, how has there not been a thread yet about how shitty the port is? Worse than Arkham Knight apparently.
It is? Runs flawlessy on my PC.
It plays like shit for just AMD users I think.

Here: <youtube=utOyqdoMqas>

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Major_Tom said:
Are two different people using your account?
Adam Jensen said:
How is this an issue? It's like people keep forgetting what being a corporation is about. They exist to do one thing and one thing only - make more money. No one is demanding that you buy their products. Exercise some fuckin' restraint every once in a while and don't buy shit if you don't think the price is right.
That point still stands. If you refuse to buy stuff, the platform dies. But gamers don't seem to have even the slightest impulse control. They must have a game immediately. Pre-order! Pre-order!

You can't trust Microsoft. They want full control. The problem is that Microsoft is shaping themselves into a service platform. And since games are designed to run primarily on Windows OS, they absolutely will eventually try to force everything to go through Windows Store in order to be installed on Windows at all. Even if they're "denying it" now with their vague statements, don't be fooled. That is exactly what they're planning. Even if it's an overreaction, it's better to overreact than to let it go and basically tell Microsoft "go ahead, fuck us over".

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Strelok said:
This was debunked yesterday but whatever... Sensationalism!!!

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/705795213709561857

Tim Sweeney also kind of flip flopped on the issue in a reply to Phil Spencer.
To be fair that is what was mentioned in the original article

[I/]In response to Sweeney?s allegations, Kevin Gallo, corporate vice president of Windows at Microsoft, told the Guardian: ?The Universal Windows Platform is a fully open ecosystem, available to every developer, that can be supported by any store. We continue to make improvements for developers; for example, in the Windows 10 November Update, we enabled people to easily side-load apps by default, with no UX required.[/I]

Im sure it will technically be open just like the Google store they just will make it as difficult as possible. Trouble is depending on how they word it and set it up they can just change anything they want at anytime. I would expect them to make it as welcoming as possible to start with get people on board and then slowly tighten down. The almost creepy way they have been pushing Windows 10 has not helped assuage my suspicions of them either especially in light of past practices. I would rather risk not having something nice than risk having something so potentially damaging.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
No they really aren't. Seems like if any large corporation (except for Valve) gets a mention in news or a forum post there's usually a large negative reaction that doesn't always seem warranted to whatever news item or discussion is posted. Ah well.
OMG I hate Valve STEAM NEEDS QUALITY CONTR--wait, where was I?

But yeah, there's a whole host of them that either invite fanboyism or pure hatred just by mentioning them. Apple and Valve both came to mind, even though I don't like either one of them.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Something Amyss said:
OMG I hate Valve STEAM NEEDS QUALITY CONTR--wait, where was I?

But yeah, there's a whole host of them that either invite fanboyism or pure hatred just by mentioning them. Apple and Valve both came to mind, even though I don't like either one of them.
I get a knee-jerk reaction to Apple... but there's a long history of why me and Apple do not get along so I can understand it. Valve at one point had high esteem from me, but like EA (a company I once worked for and respected) there's been enough crap to undermine the goodwill.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
FileTrekker said:
Bilious Green said:
There are still a lot of unknowns and "what ifs" at the moment, but with past history as a guide, it's not unreasonable to assume that Microsoft will at some point attempt to implement some anti-consumer and borderline illegal practices into Win10, it's just their MO.
It's not 1995 anymore. Microsoft isn't that company anymore.
Look I can appreciate that there's a certain amount of back and forth on this UWP thing in this topic.

But did you like...sleep through the entirety of 2013 or something? Or somehow totally miss the XBOne backlash over DRM practices, always online, sharing, the forced inclusion of Kinect, etc etc etc? And the condemning of Microsoft as being anti-consumer and the whole scheme to be a potentially dangerous infringement of consumer rights? Not to mention the hilarious fact that a lot of the 'benefits' of the console would be basically US-only and therefore entirely unattractive to anyone outside of the United States?

Claim you don't think that this UWP revelation is a problem if you wish. But seriously, Microsoft definitely IS still that company, as demonstrated less than three years ago.

Somewhat relevant, also highly amusing:

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
You can't trust Microsoft. They want full control. The problem is that Microsoft is shaping themselves into a service platform. And since games are designed to run primarily on Windows OS, they absolutely will eventually try to force everything to go through Windows Store in order to be installed on Windows at all. Even if they're "denying it" now with their vague statements, don't be fooled. That is exactly what they're planning. Even if it's an overreaction, it's better to overreact than to let it go and basically tell Microsoft "go ahead, fuck us over".
I suppose I should trust the perspective of a time traveler from a dystopian plutocratic future, but since today's government is still entirely in the "monopolies are bad and no amount of money will make me not dislike them" camp, I refuse to believe that Microsoft can accomplish what you're saying without crossing several major lines, and getting sued out of existence for trying to establish an illegal monopoly over the PC gaming market, because that's the scenario you've described, a monopoly.

As hard as it may be to believe Mr. Jensen, today's corporations still have lines they won't cross, and there's a HUGE difference bewtween EA or UbiSoft (or whoever) price gouging its customers with DLC and micro transactions, and trying to control them with Online Passes (a fortunately extinct practice), and Microsoft actively trying to monopolize the PC gaming market, they already had to brave through one antitrust lawsuit back in 2001, they sure as hell don't need another.

And even if for whatever reason the US government doesn't give a damn about Microsoft's attempt at a PC gaming monopoly, Microsoft still wouldn't do it because the instant they try they will alienate so much potential PC gaming developers that Mac OS, Linux and Steam OS are gonna eat Windows' market share for breakfast.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I get a knee-jerk reaction to Apple... but there's a long history of why me and Apple do not get along so I can understand it. Valve at one point had high esteem from me, but like EA (a company I once worked for and respected) there's been enough crap to undermine the goodwill.
I don't really knee-jerk to Apple so much as resent the fact that their model of overpriced shiny "lifestyle" products that don't last or hold up to other consumer electronics has dominated the industry and made it virtually impossible to get something decent.

I dropped Samsung because their new phones took away the things that distinguished them from iPhones.

But I'm not going to foam at the mouth every time they come up. Just sometimes. >.>

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
So, Microsoft is trying to be control-freaky with their unpopular control-freaky OS that I'm not gonna use? Good to know. I'm sure no backlash will ever-

Heh, nope. Couldn't keep a straight face.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
This title is rather "fear mongering" isn't it? Its not like they said they want to kill PC gaming just monopolise it. I think we all know by now that Microsoft is a veritable cancer that wants to exploit consumers and make gaming a generally unpleasant place to be. I'm not saying this isn't worth discussing I'm just not surprised its happening. But hey chances are some of you guys bought an Xbone so I guess this comes as a shock to some.

I'm not a fan of PC gaming. I don't like 8bit indie games, discussing graphics, mods, having to wait years for Japanese games, or wondering if the game will actually work on my rig. So it wouldn't bother me if PC gaming did die, but we all know it won't the only people microsoft can really ruin things for is the people who still buy their consoles.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Something Amyss said:
I don't really knee-jerk to Apple so much as resent the fact that their model of overpriced shiny "lifestyle" products that don't last or hold up to other consumer electronics has dominated the industry and made it virtually impossible to get something decent.

I dropped Samsung because their new phones took away the things that distinguished them from iPhones.

But I'm not going to foam at the mouth every time they come up. Just sometimes. >.>
I've always seen Apple as the BMW of computers, extremely expensive and mostly proprietary but more of a status symbol than worth its pricetag and hearing people I've known most of my life crow about them constantly yet never be able to give me an objective reason why my cheaper PCs were "inferior", that gave me kind of a complex against them.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I've always seen Apple as the BMW of computers, extremely expensive and mostly proprietary but more of a status symbol than worth its pricetag and hearing people I've known most of my life crow about them constantly yet never be able to give me an objective reason why my cheaper PCs were "inferior", that gave me kind of a complex against them.
For me, it's about the ubiquity of things like the iPod and iPhone. I'm not really big on feature-limited and shiny. I don't like two hour battery lives because everyone has to fight to make the thinnest phone. I really don't like that almost every major iteration of iProducts have some major flaw, yet people will line up for months to get the next one. It's like Star Wars Episode 2 all over again!

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
HavoK 09 said:
If devs can't freely use DX12 then it only gives Vulkan more ground.
I'm okay with this.

Saelune said:
Not saying this is not true....but don't lump EA, Activision or even Valve really, as "victims". They do similar things in an effort to maintain control in their own ways. Activision toyed with that Call of Duty subscription thing, and EA Origin is them taking a swipe at Steam....and Steam well, I love it but its a monopoly I find myself stuck in.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/monopoly

At the rate people keep misusing that word, it'll become the new "censorship".

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Bob_McMillan said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Talking about GoW, how has there not been a thread yet about how shitty the port is? Worse than Arkham Knight apparently.
It is? Runs flawlessy on my PC.
It plays like shit for just AMD users I think.

Here: <youtube=utOyqdoMqas>
Which is hilarious, since the original game was built for AMD-centric hardware...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Im Lang said:
FileTrekker said:
Bilious Green said:
There are still a lot of unknowns and "what ifs" at the moment, but with past history as a guide, it's not unreasonable to assume that Microsoft will at some point attempt to implement some anti-consumer and borderline illegal practices into Win10, it's just their MO.
It's not 1995 anymore. Microsoft isn't that company anymore.
Did you forget the attempt at digital games only, always online, bundled with a Kinect? That wasn't 1995. Nor was turning MS Office into an insane subscription model.
This argument makes no sense.

The digital games only, always online, bundled with a Kinect Xbox One never really happened in the end. They did have the connect as a mandatory peripheral for a while, now they don't include it in most of their bundles, the digital only never happened, the always online never happened. Personally, I truly believe they were moving forward too fast for consumers, I don't believe they were doing that out of malice. They were certainly wide of the mark, but unlike the old Microsoft, they listened and adjusted.

That is nothing like the old Microsoft. Completely unfair to compare that to their old practices.

The "insane subscription model" makes no sense - MS Office is still a standalone product. The subscription model is not mandatory and more than that, it's actually a much better value for money and extremely popular. I see nothing wrong with that at all.