Microsoft Was Surprised By Xbox One Outcry

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Again with the Steam comparisons... Even if it were all-digital, there is one major, fundamental difference that they have missed:

Steam has a little feature called "Offline mode" that works forever, even if you never connect your device to the internet again. If you have a connection, Steam will check to make sure the game isn't being played on multiple devices at once, but it never requires a connection outside of a one-time activation.

Why is this important? Here's a few examples:

[ol][li]Youth organizations, community centers, church youth groups, etc. - Many of these are in separate rooms or buildings from their parent organization, and frequently without any sort of internet access, even if the main office or whatever has it.[/li]
[li]Children's bedrooms - Many parents have no problem with their kid having a TV and games in their room, but deliberately do not grant them internet access. One-time online activation is enough of a pain on its own, but to require it every 24 hours makes such a thing entirely unfeasible.[/li]
[li]Unreliable internet - This is a huge problem for college dorms, but even a problem for many people with their own homes and standard ISPs. If there's more than 24 hours of downtime, a daily activation requirement would make the system unusable. Not everyone has the option of simply switching ISPs in this case either, depending on the reason for the downtime and the local competition.[/li][/ol]

But that aside, attempting to copy Steam is a mistake anyway. The whole point of a game console is that it isn't a PC (even if the hardware inside essentially is). What works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other, and if they bridge the gap too much, people will reject the console on the basis that they already have a PC. Make a console a unique product, something that complements a PC with its differences, and people will be more likely to accept it.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. PC sales and Windows 8 sales are already not in the best place right now. Do you really want to try and cannibalize your own sales more than you have to, MS?

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Sounds like Microsoft had some mistaken assumptions of their own. iOS users use iPads, Steam users are PC gamers, maybe this slipped your attention MS, but I'd hazard a guess that most console gamers have little to no interest in either of those things.

Perhaps if you had aimed your product at the millions strong established console gaming fan base instead of everyone but them, things would have gone better.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Hehehaha
Oh really there Microsoft?
You didn't expect consumer's to assume the worst from you when there were damaging rumors even before the Xbox 180 revival?
That maybe, just maybe, people didn't like to be screwed over by a machine they've paid for?
The arrogance or is it ignorance? (or both?) is staggering and you are doing nothing to make me warm up to you.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I have no problems going all digital! steam proved to me its better then having my shelves clogged up by games. However, I DO have problems with microsoft doing it with their track record on shit hardware and overpriced microsoft points to dollars conversion and screwing me over just because I'm canadian.

Whats that? they reversed the microsoft points to real dollars? You think I'll just FORGIVE them for their hardware failures and ripping me off for years?! no, I would kick a microsoft rep in the balls if I could. They care *nothing* about their consumers. I *despise* them.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Can you honestly blame them? No really, the amount of shit they got away with this generation with the 360 it's no wonder the Xbox division had so much hubris.

The RROD debacle alone would have fucking killed almost any other brand, so the fact they got away with it as well as charging for Xbox Live and gating everything behind it they probably thought they could do no wrong in gamers' eyes.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
MS really are clueless. Why did they release this comment that will just dig up all the negative flaws about the XB1 and how MS dealt with it. They really need a new publicity person.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
I love Microsoft. Every time they open their mouths nowadays comedy gemstones fall out. I almost don't want them to come to their senses.

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
Every time MS open its corporate mouth about Xbox One I get to laugh, that's not a bad thing now is it?

I've said my piece more than once about MS, here and elsewhere, so I'm not gonna repeat myself. I wish they would just shut up and refuse commenting as long as they're not ready to release. Keeping quiet can't be worse than spewing nonsense, now can it?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Agayek said:
Who the hell is running things at Microsoft? A lobotomized chimpanzee?

You know, you are not very off for that description of Steve Ballmer at all really. XD

OT: The fact that they are "surprised" about all the reaction of this console shows just how desperately out of touch Microsoft is with the rest of the world. Really a lot of people in the industry makes you feel that way, but MS took it too a whole new level. I honestly was thinking that some of those "decisions" were just to see what they could get away with, but then again I've lost all hope at Microsoft making any rational sense or making decisions that aren't fully retarded. Recent case, buying the rest of Nokia when their shares in the Smartphone market are pretty much nonexistent at this point.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
If they even were close to some form of steam like drm then they'd have been fine, but 24 hour checks, 'game sharing' that is controlled by publishers allowing full sharing or short demos, it's just not a good idea. The fact games are 60 or maybe now 70 dollars doesn't help, the reason steam is successful is bountiful and huge sales with DRM that doesn't get in your way when trying to enjoy.
Steam isn't perfect, but it's so far the best example of DRM done right.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Agayek said:
So let me get this straight. They listed out all the ways they were going to fuck over the customer while any benefits were poorly explained at best, if they got mentioned at all, and it's a surprise that there's customer backlash?

Keep in mind that Xbox is one of the few products Microsoft has made that has ever had to compete with anything else on a level playing field. This means that no one in marketing and public relations really knows what they are doing. A lobotomized Chimp could have seen this backlash coming though, and that just goes to show how insular and arrogant MS is as a company.

gigastar said:
Or it could be "Assumptions resulted in Don Mattick leaving Microsoft for Zynga".
Actually, I ascribe to the theory that Mattrick was planning to leave MS for awhile before the reveal. These types of transitions do not happen overnight, they take months. This also explains why Mattrick messed up MS' messaging so badly, he knew he was leaving and did not care at all.

WeepingAngels said:
There was plenty of outcry just based on the rumors. Microsoft can't claim to have not heard it.
See the first paragraph. MS is so insular and arrogant that they are simply deaf at this point.

That being said, they did reverse their decisions, and Ms. Larson Green is now head of Xbox. She headed Windows 7 -likely the best product MS has ever made- and she seems to have a much steadier hand than Mattrick, so maybe she can turn things around, if the MS corporate culture will let her.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Nope. Nopenopenopenopenopenope. Nope.

If you want to copy Steam, then F*ING COPY STEAM!, don't make a bastardized and blatantly anti-consumer version of it. Heck, even Origin got it (mostly) right.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
The only reason there was outcry and 'assumptions' was because Microsoft didn't give us enough information. They've spent the last few months clarifying things that they overlooked in their press releases and making sense of the mess they made, and it all sounds perfectly reasonable now. If they'd just given us the information they're giving us now, back then, there wouldn't be so much of a problem.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
SupahGamuh said:

If you want to copy Steam, then F*ING COPY STEAM!, don't make a bastardized and blatantly anti-consumer version of it. Heck, even Origin got it (mostly) right.
Interesting you should say that:

The original Xbox One allowed you to do the following with digital games:

Buy at day one
Cloud storage
Access on friend's machine

Sharing of digital games(not on Steam)
Giving of digital games (not on Steam)

That's already two things that the original Xbox One would let you do that Steam doesn't let you do. You could even say that Steam is *gasp* more restrictive than the original Xbox One.

So much for the consumer backlash. Perhaps Microsoft just didn't plan on getting so much criticism based solely on misconceptions.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
mechalynx said:
I love Microsoft. Every time they open their mouths nowadays comedy gemstones fall out. I almost don't want them to come to their senses.
You're right, same here except for that 'love' part. Before I even clicked on the article the chuckles started. Every time one of these pops up I'm almost guaranteed a good laugh or 2 before I even get to the comment section.

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
Agayek said:
So let me get this straight. They listed out all the ways they were going to fuck over the customer while any benefits were poorly explained at best, if they got mentioned at all, and it's a surprise that there's customer backlash?

There's a great political science article Princeton University published called "On Bullshit." It argued that there's a big difference between bullshit and lying. Liars are necessarily concerned with the truth because lying entails inserting one falsehood into a system of truths that create context. Bullshit is completely unconcerned with whether or not it's true because bullshit transcends truth values. The purpose of lying is to misrepresent the truth. The purpose of bullshit is to misrepresent the speaker. Since all of corporate marketing is essentially bullshit, it makes sense that a corporation would be so unconcerned with truth that they lose touch with reality entirely.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I'm sorry, but I'm considered insanely green at project management, but even I know that every single thing they did was wrong. You didn't throw anything to reliable customers, chasing after people even you think are too fickle to care. You're putting something in that adds no value and contributes to the $100 gap between you and the direct competition... with worse specs? Oh, then you let it slip that it's all about selling ads. JFC these basics about quality have been around since the 50s.

Their messaging was horrible, they didn't know what their consumer base actually wanted, they didn't go through the consequences of their decisions (particularly, how they'd kill their ability to sell to the US military), and the entire thing has the stink of mandates from the top. What. were. you. thinking.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
TomWiley said:
SupahGamuh said:

Interesting you should say that:

The original Xbox One allowed you to do the following with digital games:

Buy at day one
Cloud storage
Access on friend's machine

Sharing of digital games(not on Steam)
Giving of digital games (not on Steam)

That's already two things that the original Xbox One would let you do that Steam doesn't let you do. You could even say that Steam is *gasp* more restrictive than the original Xbox One.

So much for the consumer backlash. Perhaps Microsoft just didn't plan on getting so much criticism based solely on misconceptions.
*sigh* Seriously, are these comparisons even necessary?.

Jim had it better explained... 3 months ago :/ [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7586-Why-PC-Gaming-Gets-Away-With-It]