Microsoft Wasn't Fond of the "Halo" Brand

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Brotherofwill said:
Number 4: Grand Theft Auto. Awesome title, altough half the world won't know what the fuck it means. I never did.
You don't know what "Grand Theft Auto" means? It's essentially legal speak for car theft.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
Kinda like Fox and The Simpson's... or Futurama, 'cept they actually got rid of that one...

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Brotherofwill said:
Number 4: Grand Theft Auto. Awesome title, altough half the world won't know what the fuck it means. I never did.
You don't know what "Grand Theft Auto" means? It's essentially legal speak for car theft.
I know, but not until I was widely proficient in English. Not everyone's a native tongue, I only learned the language a few years ago and loved the series long before that since the PS1 days. I reckon atleast half the fans don't know what it means. I like it though, even before I knew what it meant.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
But... Combat Evolved makes it sound generic and boring! Fuck you, Microsoft!

Onyx Oblivion said:
I like "Pyramid".

And Combat Evolved abbreviates to "Collector's Edition". So, glad they didn't have one, or it'd be "Halo: CE: CE"
Well there was a Custom Edition. But I expect you've already been told that multiple times in this thread.

King of the N00bs

Aug 12, 2009
I always though "combat evolved" was kind of a lame name for that good of a game...mainly because it sounds more like an advertisement than an actual game

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Brotherofwill said:
canadamus_prime said:
Brotherofwill said:
I know, but not until I was widely proficient in English. Not everyone's a native tongue, I only learned the language a few years ago and loved the series long before that since the PS1 days. I reckon atleast half the fans don't know what it means. I like it though, even before I knew what it meant.
No worries.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
derelix said:
"I bet half the fans don't know what it means, but i do of course" god i hate that so much. Why would you assume that half of them don't know what "theft" means" unless your saying most of them are probably not English speaking, that i could see i guess.
Whoa, easy there on your emotional outlet. I'm not saying that they don't know what "theft" means, I'm saying they don't know what Grand Theft Auto as a phrase means within the legal system, and yes a lot of the people that play games aren't English speaking. I'm saying this because I was playing the series for around 8 years before I understood the term.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Snotnarok said:
Yes while itwas interesting new way to play games, every game does it now. Every new shooter has regen health, hell Mass Effect 2 a RPG shooter has it. It was innovative and new at one point, now it's expected, over used and needs to be used less so more variety can come into play.

Variety you know, like health, armor, shields or HP. All recovery shooters have the same way of playing, rush, shoot, get hit heal, repeat. In a healthpack shooters you have to be more careful, or sometimes you just rush in. Or how about stim shooters where you carry health packs and use them as you go? There's many ways that health can be used but they've all been dropped. That's what I'm saying here, Halo HAD quite an interesting way of health but now EVERY game has it and it's killed the variety in shooters. And while it's a cool gameplay mechanic, I want to see other things tried before or new implemented.

It's just something I would personally like to see reborn. If you like regen health/shields, that's fine and dandy, but would it be so bad if they put out games without that along side it? Don't snuff out regen shooters, just put out more variety.

You're a soldier with regen health/shields with 2 guns grenades and a pistol. I've just summed up 95% of shooter heros of recent years. I have more shooters than most people have games, it's not like I don't play what I talk about here.
I didn't really say anything about that. What I said was that practically every single shooter more than 8 years old had a hero who could carry every single weapon in the game at once and replenished his health by walking over a magical health-pack.

What you're complaining about is something that has always existed in the genre. The difference is that the overwhelmingly popular system now is the new system. Objectively there's more variety among limited-weapon regen shooters than there was in shooters of old. Think about it, what significant difference is there between say Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II and Half-Life? Now consider Halo 2 and Call of Duty 2.

Shooters being the popular genre have a fairly bloated array of middling and poor quality games that you probably shouldn't be paying attention to anyway. It's simply easier to make a regenerating health shooter as far as game balance goes, and limiting weapons is practically a subconscious response among less talented developers. That's just how a shooters is made they believe. It was the same way for years after Doom came out, people didn't know any other way to make a shooter so they made it like Doom (barring improvements from technical limitations, like aiming on a y-axis).

People do make shooters with different health models and inventory characteristics. The game mechanics of a modern shooter are just widely agreed to be the "best."

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Brotherofwill said:
This thread calls for: The Silliest Video Game titles! Let's Go!!!

Number 5: Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers

Number 3:Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days...not a day less. Almost like Naked gun 33 1/3.

Number 2: Pro Evolution Soccer. It's not soccer, and pro evolution? Why didn't they keep Winning Eleven? That's a cool name.

Number 1: And the winner is....Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker! Peace Walker? Solid Metal? The title isn't too bad for fans and people that know the series but I've never seen such a random collection of words qualified as a title. Game looks great though.
I'm gonna have to give it to the wordiest title I've ever seen.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/sonic-and-sega-all-stars-racing-with-banjo-kazooie-box-artwork-xbox-360.jpg

...by the way, how does one display a picture in a post?

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Shows how little Microsoft understood the video game market at the time. "It has a weird name! No way this is going to sell".

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Not a big Halo fan, and because I've only played Halo 3, I actually don't know much about the series--other than the general idea. Such was my ignorance that I actually didn't know that the official title for "Halo 1" was "Halo: Combat Evolved.

Also, Halo 3: Even more Evolution with Regards to Combat was pretty funny.

And another thing, I never knew Beyonce was such a "Halo" fan---I guess she's got the hots for Master Chief.