Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
SteelStallion said:
Snotnarok said:
samsonguy920 said:
Snotnarok said:
Halo
Combat Simplified​

Might have been a more appropriate title.
You aren't taking into account that at the time Halo first came out, they had some new revolutionary stuff to put in. One of the first to have vehicles in FPS's, new sorts of weapons, etc.
Microsoft was still being rather pedantic about the title. But Microsoft does as Microsoft thinks.
It was revolutionary perhaps for console gaming as there was no game with online as expansive as that but on PC there was. So while it deserves some credit, it's also responsible for knocking weapons down to two, and taking away health bars which has really made games far too similar in gameplay and annoying.
It was revolutionary for all FPSs. Even if you hate the revolution it brought, the fact that most FPSs have at least one of the elements that Halo made popular is a testament to the change it brought in the design of shooter games. I don't know why you're holding it "responsible" as if it did something wrong, if anything I'm glad it brought that change. The reason that many titles have the "two weapons, health bars, regenerative shields, melee attack with guns" is because they've been proven to work time and time again and people enjoy them.

It works; If it didn't, developers wouldn't be making their video games that way, and people wouldn't be buying them
Yes but you're not getting the whole of my thing here. That ALL FPS now have the regen bar, it'd be nice to see some (not all) doing a variety of things. Health packs, armor, medics. While it's a nice thing to regen health it's also nice to see OTHER means of health options.

Why am I holding it responsable? Because it's the game that basically started it. While yes it works, again, having other games with different means of healing adds variety, why are you against that? Do you want ALL FPS to have regen health? Where you hide behind a wall and wait for your leg to glue itself back on? Or maybe a game where you hit H and you jab your arm with a bug and it injects something into you and heals, or a medic to shoot you with a healing ray (TF2) or perhaps you just find a med kit, or Zoey wraps your torso up.

Variety is that so much to want?

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Well anyway I'm glad they stayed true and even though the original title of Halo was still Halo: Combat Evolved, the title 'Halo' is still the name that stuck and in all honesty, it's a good name.

Jun 11, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Well this is a nice piece of mud that comes out after Bungie is away from Microsoft. Guess ol' MS forgot to include a hush-hush in the separation papers. Wonder what new revelations are yet to be discovered?
Glademaster said:
So no offense to them they think they will be better off with Activision? I mean just look what they have done to the CoD series. They are only trading one devil for another.
Well with Microsoft they were actually under ownership, according to the article here. With Activision, Bungie is just in a partnership. Bungie maketh the game, Bungie calleth the game whatever the hell they want to, and Activision puteth a box on it and finds places to selleth it.
Not like the same scenario where Activision had ownership over Infinity Ward, and had a lot more to say over what IW did. And apparently they came up with a lot more to say than just what to call the game.
Well we will see how long it will last but I have no doubt in my mind Activision will suck the life and soul out of Bungie and every other game dev under them like IW with the current way they are going.

Jun 11, 2008
SteelStallion said:
Snotnarok said:
samsonguy920 said:
Snotnarok said:
Halo
Combat Simplified​

You aren't taking into account that at the time Halo first came out, they had some new revolutionary stuff to put in. One of the first to have vehicles in FPS's, new sorts of weapons, etc.
Microsoft was still being rather pedantic about the title. But Microsoft does as Microsoft thinks.
It was revolutionary perhaps for console gaming as there was no game with online as expansive as that but on PC there was. So while it deserves some credit, it's also responsible for knocking weapons down to two, and taking away health bars which has really made games far too similar in gameplay and annoying.
It was revolutionary for all FPSs. Even if you hate the revolution it brought, the fact that most FPSs have at least one of the elements that Halo made popular is a testament to the change it brought in the design of shooter games. I don't know why you're holding it "responsible" as if it did something wrong, if anything I'm glad it brought that change. The reason that many titles have the "two weapons, health bars, regenerative shields, melee attack with guns" is because they've been proven to work time and time again and people enjoy them.

It works; If it didn't, developers wouldn't be making their video games that way, and people wouldn't be buying them
You do know that everything you have said has been done before Halo? Just because Halo made it popular doesn't mean it was revolutionary adn in fact Halo has basically added to the removal of health bars. The only thing that I can't think of an example of before Haloe is regenerative health.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Aw, and here I was thinking there was an opening for a "We didn't want that franchise anyway" joke ..

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
What did Microsoft want? Dudes in armor with guns?

I hope Bungie got an apology, in writing, on a parchment made from money Microsoft made after Halo:) Combat Evolved) made the first Xbox worth a damn.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Halo 3: Even More Evolution With Regards to Combat

yeh that is soo much win! XD

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
I have always called it Halo: One, since I thought that Combat evolved was a stupid name.

Jun 11, 2008
SteelStallion said:
Glademaster said:
SteelStallion said:
Snotnarok said:
samsonguy920 said:
Snotnarok said:
Halo
Combat Simplified​

You do know that everything you have said has been done before Halo? Just because Halo made it popular doesn't mean it was revolutionary adn in fact Halo has basically added to the removal of health bars. The only thing that I can't think of an example of before Haloe is regenerative health.
No, I don't realize that. I don't remember a game before Halo doing the 2 weapons maximum thing, regenerative "shields", butting with a melee weapon, and an emphasis on vehicle combat. If there are games that did that, please show me (no really, I'm not aware.).

Regardless, the fact that Halo made them popular does mean it was revolutionary. Innovation isn't just making a creative idea, because that doesn't always work. A game can create an inventive idea and still be terrible because the execution was terrible, while another game can do the same exact idea but with excellent execution.

Guess which game will be remembered for it.
A Wolverine game on SNES/Genesis the name escapes me had regenerating health. Perfect Dark had a pistol whip as a secondary attack for some weapons, Rollcage and Redline had vehicular combat although they were full vehicle game. I forget but as far as I remember but I may be wrong with this that Golden Eye had a weapon cap before Halo did but I am not sure on this one.

Next we will be talking about the Flood being original. I am not saying that Halo is bad however, I am saying that is was only wasn't revolutionary. I will say that with that Timesplitters and Golden Eye the bar for console FPS games were raised but it was some revolutionary game that forever changed FPS games.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
so basically Microsoft though that americans were too stupid to realise that a game with an armoured man with a gun on the front needed a name that told you even more what was happening in the game...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
derelix said:
Snotnarok said:
samsonguy920 said:
Snotnarok said:
Halo
Combat Simplified​

I really don't understand that complaint. You don't like that the weapons were knocked down to two (making it difficult) and the regenerating shields (making it simple)
No offense but it sounds like you don't want any kind of change.
Yet again, no. I'll say this in the shortest sentence possible.

I want variety, while the regen thing is great and such, why is it such a big deal to you and others to ask for a game that has a different health system? So while one game has Regen another has health kits or what not?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
SteelStallion said:
Snotnarok said:
SteelStallion said:
Snotnarok said:
samsonguy920 said:
Snotnarok said:
Halo
Combat Simplified​

Yes but you're not getting the whole of my thing here. That ALL FPS now have the regen bar, it'd be nice to see some (not all) doing a variety of things. Health packs, armor, medics. While it's a nice thing to regen health it's also nice to see OTHER means of health options.

Why am I holding it responsable? Because it's the game that basically started it. While yes it works, again, having other games with different means of healing adds variety, why are you against that? Do you want ALL FPS to have regen health? Where you hide behind a wall and wait for your leg to glue itself back on? Or maybe a game where you hit H and you jab your arm with a bug and it injects something into you and heals, or a medic to shoot you with a healing ray (TF2) or perhaps you just find a med kit, or Zoey wraps your torso up.

Variety is that so much to want?
Right now you're just being critical for the sake of being critical. There is lots of variety so I've got no clue what you're talking about. Any decent FPS will either modify the formula, or use a completely different one that might be based off of the original formula, or do something else all together. I don't know what you're on about here.

And I wasn't talking about whether you yourself liked the change, but the fact that the majority of gamers did and that Halo was revolutionary because of the change it brought, for better or worse.
How am I being overly critical? I'm asking for change and you're basically telling me I'm wrong for me wanting different means of crossing a battlefield.

Let me ask you this, why are you defending a gameplay style to be the one and only way to play a FPS, is with regen health. That's what it seems to me, Im not asking to do away with regen health, I'm asking that they have different means of it.

With regen health you lose the possiblities of teamwork, no one can heal you, you dont back away and look for a medkit or armor, you just duck and relax till you recover. Which isn't bad in a lot of games but it makes you a bit of a one man army.

If you have a bar or HP people can heal you, you could find a med kit and dispense it to other friends, it adds teamwork (Like Bad Company 2).

For the 5th time, I'm asking for variety NOT to do away with a way of playing games. Look at my steam account if you want I have shooters with all sorts of health, Doom 1 to MW2 and TF2, I play all of them, I'd just like to see more variety is all.

Locko96

Jan 18, 2010
In this case... both parties were sort of whiny little bitches. Just live with the millions of dollars you now have.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
A mashup game involving an interstellar war between Covenant and Modern Warfare marines sounds better in my ears than peanut butter.