Microsoft: We Lost Our Way With Recent Halo Games

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
CriticKitten said:
arc1991 said:
Why are there loads of people against 343? They are made of Ex-Bungie staff, Martie(?) O'Donnel... for example.Meaning, they are people who KNOW the Halo series and are not going to let it fall. Microsoft probably won't get involved that much either (to my knowledge they didn't with Bungie)

OT: Mehh, i still hope they make more games without him, i'd like to see more of the conflict before him/without him.
343 is composed of the Bungie employees who didn't want to move on to other projects after Reach, either because they lacked confidence in Bungie's ability to produce anything big and successful after Halo, or because they lacked confidence in their own ability to work on a new ground-breaking project and were happy to settle for copy-pasting the Halo formula over and over.
Or you know...they just chose to stick with Halo, because they like working on it? Copying and pasting the Halo formula? Hey it's a formula that works, they are obviously going to keep it the same, how would you like it if Half Life turned into a Console RTS? Or if the controls and feel to the game were changed? (Valve... DO NOT take that seriously!)

Anyway, i have faith in them because of this...

They seem dedicated to the franchise, they don't want to ruin it. They know what fans want. I think it's about time more developers started to be like that.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
"Hi, leg warehouse? Microsoft needs something to stand on. nothing? ok, thanks."

is it just me, or does microsoft seem to be hating on the things bungie did after they split off from microsoft?
of course they can't really say halo 3 sucked since it was the game that practically sold the 360, but the vibe I'm getting is: the stuff they did after they split with us sucked, now we own the franchise again and we'll do it right.

seems kinda weak.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Phil Spencer is either crazy, stupid, or both. the appeal of the Halo Universe is not Master Chief Petty Officer Spartan-117 (John). it is the WHOLE universe. MovieBob said it best, the Covenant are just as interesting if not more so then Humanity in the games. The idea of a space faring empire that existed before all we know is what makes halo interesting.

ODST's big failure was the lack on online matchmaking for their brilliant Firefight mode. the narrative was much better then Halo 1 and 2 easy, and on par with Halo 3.

if Reach has a failing point to it at all, I have yet to discover it

Phil, You are wrong.

May 5, 2010
I just want to point out, to no one in particular, that Master Chief is STILL more of a character then Gordan Freeman.
lordlillen said:
i actually dont want to play as a master cheff, he's boring bland and unintresting, i would rather play a non-charackter like noble 6 or gordon freeman then a boring bland space marine.
OK...Um...You did do that on purpose, right? It's kind of hard to tell over the internet. But really...PLEASE tell me you did that on purpose.

Jyggalag

Jan 21, 2011
WAIT Wait wait. So Microsoft, the new owners of Halo, says that Bungie made a mistake by releasing Halo Reach and Odst? I think that it is Microsoft's mistake for milking the franchise with 3 new titles already planned out, or at least that's what they're claiming in e3 and we all know that everything said at e3 must be true. Herp-a-derp.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
I couldn't care about masterchief. He was faceless and boring. Reach was a step up with some characters with personality, even if it was intensely stereotypical, but babysteps I guess

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
Are you flippin' kidding me, Microsoft?

Christ. Looks like the Arbiter game I wanted is never happening.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
I don't think it was a step in the wrong direction by leaving Master Chief's story behind for a few years, in fact I think it was the best one in that we were able to explore other facets of the halo universe and other characters whilst giving us a break from the chief. This only builds up anticipation and excitement for his return, I'm far more interested in were his story goes now then I would have been had it continued last year with Halo 4 instead of Halo Reach. Nonetheless I appreciate where he is coming from, Master chief is the iconic symbol of halo: the mascot, and whilst gameplay wise it might not make much of a difference he is his own character in a way mute 'Rookie' from ODST and boring 'Noble 6' from Reach really aren't. There more like shells for the player to inhibit, and not all that interesting ones like Gordon Freeman, whose character is created via not only his actions but other characters reactions to him. The Chief straddles that line (at the moment anyway) and creates a personality for himself without revealing too much 'character' letting the player feel like they are master chief as it were.

Reach certainly has the most solid campaign gameplay wise, with no dud levels or stale moments that I can think of. But as I care less about the characters the dramatic effect of the events is diminished basically meaning the story, whilst solid and straight-forward, isn't nearly as interesting as the story of the halo's with characters like the Chief, Cortana and the Arbiter who have a few layers and aren't just three-dimensional cliches (Noble Team, I'm looking at you, Sargent Johnson, you are excused because you're the damned awesome comic relief). ODST was actually fairly good with Buck and Dare but the others less so. In fact the Arbiter is the most complex and interesting character in Halo and it's a shame they didn't really continue his story with Halo 3, the whole mantra that arose after Halo 2 that "people wanna play the chief" was only a result of the Arbiter's levels being slightly less good than Master chiefs in Halo 2, not because his character and his story wasn't as good. In fact I'd love to see a Halo game at some point in the future that deals directly with the covenant's side of the war, mix things up a little. For now though I am content with the mysteries presented in this new trilogy and it seems the Chief's tale is likely to go on for three more games at least. How ballsy would it be if they killed off at the end, or even mid-way through? Of course, they wouldn't do the latter, who could fill his shoes for the last game?

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
those weren't missteps, they just expanded the universe, please shut up microsoft studios boss. you dont know what your yapping about.

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
I like the Master Chief, but he just doesn't bring enough to the table. Something needs to change.

Players are going to be much more interested in a fleshed out character than they are a faceless avatar, and with the wealth of background evident in the Halo novels, I don't see why this is a problem. Give him flaws. Show the toll that the war has taken on him. Crack his psyche, reveal his fears, make him vulnerable. You don't even need to show his face, but he needs to be more than he is right now.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Master Chief was a boring character to begin with anyway.

I don't care if he's expanded in the books, games can offer just as much character development as a book can.

If Bungie wanted to make Master Chief a good character and make us hate the Covenant then they did a bad job.

I found the Arbiter a much more enjoyable character to watch and listen to, the Covenant in general are much more interesting than humanity.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ugh...leave it to Microsoft

Bungie made a great decision to make some changes after Halo 3. from new characters in ODST (okay so I love Nathan Fillion, but still) and yes the Reach campaign easily rivals that of Halo CE

hopefully the folk at 343 (and its ex-Bungie employees) don't agree with Spencer's foolery here...

jobu59749

Aug 3, 2009
My opinion is very much the opposite of most people that have posted. The stories were ok for ODST and Reach, but I found myself not really caring about buck and his squad in ODST. Reach wasn't so much an issue of the story being a problem, I felt that some of the characters were fleshed out very well and others could have been better.

I'm a big fan of Master Chief. I haven't read any of the books, and it is hard to appreciate a character when you don't really know their background story. You don't know of their struggles. For me, this character has so much sitting on him and he's really trying to just be the soldier he's supposed to be. When the "fate" of mankind is laid on your shoulders, there is so much I wanted to see out of him, but because he's a soldier and due to his training, he doesn't show it on the outside. Understandably, we can't see his face, but that doesn't negate body language or the fact that I want to believe that on some sort of unseen emotional level, the guy likely is questioning not only his actions, but the actions of his superiors. As a good soldier though, you don't ask those questions.

I don't know, I felt like there were many layers to the character that got overlooked.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
shadowmagus said:
I thought ODST was a great game from a story standpoint. I thought taking the focus away from Derp Chief and having to fill the void with actual humans gave a real sense of life to universe that had been created. I find that Master Chief is much like Batman half the time in that the people around him are more interesting then he is. ODST actually expanded upon that and made it interesting.
LOL yes that's perfect. he's like Batman...

it's not a wholly negative statement of the Chief, but it does make its point.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
Personally I liked Reach and ODST BECAUSE you weren't that flat boring character named Master Chief. Took playing a game without him before I realized I didn't like him.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
so they are under the assumption that no one can understand the halo universe unless your playing a certain mostly mute arm with a gun?

i swear to god, accessibility is one thing, but this trend of designing EVERY sequel like its going to be some 8yr old with ADHD's 1st video game ever is really starting to piss me off.

Findlebob

Mar 24, 2011
They didnt lose their way, they were trying to squeeze as much sequels out of a game that really should be aloud to end.