Microsoft: We Lost Our Way With Recent Halo Games

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
this pisses me off i love halo and i love me some 117 but reach was a good game for the series cant say the same with ODST because that game sucked like seriously i know its mostly stealthiness around the city at night but could they at least have not made it seem like the were at least some people there?
ill prob still pick it up once i see some footage but the only games i consider tied for worst are halo wars (because it totally wasn't what the marketing made it look like to be) and ODST (stealth is fine but there is a difference between stealth and just walking around

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
well shit my first useless double post damn i thought this day would never come

IGNOR ME!!!!!!!

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
pretty sure Microsoft is just saying this in a futile attempt to keep the HALO series at the top of the news stack.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
If he really thinks that all what Halo's fans want is Master Chief, then I can see the series going downhill pretty fast when it switches to 343 Industries.

In Halo 2, I couldn't be happier when I was playing as The Arbiter, frankly, he was a much more interesting character than Master Chief himself and I was very dissapointed that in Halo 3 they didn't expanded upon The Arbiter's storyline or character.

Also, the universe itself and it's lore is quite big to just limit it through the eyes of Master Chief, any Halo fan (that's not only interested on MP) knows it.

Damura

Aug 14, 2008
Wasn't Master Chief a mute? Who gives a shit about him. I'd rather play as someone with a personality.

Srs bzns

Feb 4, 2011
similar.squirrel said:
Eh? Master Chief was barely even a character.
Agreed. It was the people/aliens (Johnson, Cortana, The Arbiter) that made T3h M4$73r Ch33f any bit interesting beyond the first game.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
I agree in part about ODST - though it seemed like an appropriately smaller release for an expansion that didn't focus on the main character... like those chapters in books through another persons eyes... it was still good

as for Reach? well it's one of my favorites in the series, so they can't have misstepped too far. strangely enough, i don't think reach should have worked... i mean, we all knew the story, the inevitable ending, and yet i loved it. not that i'm saying "avoid master chief in the future" because he has his "charm", but i'd hardly call either of them missteps

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
ODST was definitely a step back, but Reach? Reach had the best all around experience since CE.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I sort of understand what they mean, after all Masterchief is the icon of the whole series and it could be considered strange that he wasn't there. But then again, I still maintain that having you play as Masterchief in Halo: Reach wouldn't really have added or subtracted anything from the experience.
Plus in some respects it's better to have other characters and other perspectives. It helps make the in game universe feel bigger and more fleshed out when you find yourself playing as additional characters of whom have little relation to the much bigger scale battle happening elsewhere.

Plus, I still think the Arbiter was the better protagonist in Halo 2. He had a story arc for one thing, and it was just refreshing to see someone else get the spotlight if only briefly. I guess my point to all this is that I understand the appeal of using the main iconic character for the series but I think in the case of spin offs and prequel and such, it makes more sense and works better for narrative purposes to have other characters from other perspectives filling in the gaps.

DJ Jack

Nov 18, 2009
ZeZZZZevy said:
I actually really liked ODST, it's nice to have a main character with, you know, weaknesses

sure stamina was essentially still a shield but it was cool to play as a marine for once
I completely agree with you on this. It was very interesting to jump into the saddle of normal, un-cyborged group of human ODSTs. It gave a much needed fresh perspective on the universe in my opinion.

BroJing

Sep 16, 2010
Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Goddamnit, the only Halo games I've liked are ODST, Reach and Halo Wars because they dealt with interesting things in the universe instead of captain boring and his stereotype black buddy.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
And Phil Spencer, my friends, is the problem with a franchise. He's trying to think for you and say through some small trickery that what YOU want and what he wants are synonymous. They're not. Bungie made a fairly accurate world dripped on in mythos and legends, which is a good thing. The SPARTAN project is fairly unique to it, but it's not the only thing that the game has running for it.

Perhaps expanding the universe to explore the other races in detail, or just making the remake of the H2 where the pistol gets upgraded might work for now, at least until someone has MUCH better ideas than Spencer.

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
Wait, Master Chief is a character? Not a GI Joe [completely masked] action figure with kung fu grip that occasionally says in a summer blockbuster voice "I need a weapon"? And the bigwigs at Microsoft think people want to play as THAT? As opposed to actual characters with personalities? As opposed to his counterpart with [relatively] more personality, the Arbiter? Well this is certainly news to me!

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
So now it's our fault you're dredging dead cows in Halo 4? MC's story was done and over with, you clowns. There was no NEED to bring him back. We were fortunate that Bungie even WANTED to make a new Halo beyond the endgame.

Idiot.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Reach was one of my least favorite campaigns... Halo 1 and 2 were awesome but i found the rest a bit dull.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I think in this case at least he doesn't know what he is talking about, I think the fact that those two games explored other perspectives was one of their strengths.