Microsoft Will Wipe Gamerscores for Shadow Complex Cheating

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
Who the hell thought that was a good idea. Its like having everything you own taken away from you cause you got caught steeling a packet of chewing gum.

But here is a thought could this be a start of a hated Anti cheat phase where more and more games well reseve this sort of treatment.

Could you imagin having the same fate for cheating in something like GTA where a good cheat run can be a barrel of laughs.
If anywhere this should be for Cheat free survers in multiplayer games and even then it is a bit harsh

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
If anyone happens to find a gamertag that has been "branded a cheater" post the link, I would like to see what was done to the account.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
As long as they get the guilty man. I'd hate to think of an innocent wrongly being branded a cheater for all to see.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
This sounds fine to me. People who cheat should be caught.

[sup]Also, how did they cheat in Shadow Complex?[/sup]

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
I wish they'd start doing this for every game. If they catch you cheating, wipe your gamerscore, brand you as a cheater, hell maybe even perma-ban you. Cheating is not cool under any circumstances, particularly in online and/or multiplayer games.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
this is pretty funny and i can see a lot of kids complaining because of it, good for them in dealing with cheaters in a fun and creative way

i will say the support calls after this will be a lot of fun

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
Christ, is this school? what next, you get half the top grade and a detention?

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
willsham45 said:
Who the hell thought that was a good idea. Its like having everything you own taken away from you cause you got caught steeling a packet of chewing gum.
Bad comparison. Gamerscore is fake and worthless, real-life money is needed to live.
willsham45 said:
But here is a thought could this be a start of a hated Anti cheat phase where more and more games well reseve this sort of treatment.
Here's hoping!
willsham45 said:
Could you imagin having the same fate for cheating in something like GTA where a good cheat run can be a barrel of laughs.
Doesn't GTA have some cheats built into the game? They couldn't really punish you for using those.
Or are you talking about cheating in online verses games, which is violating the XBOX Live Terms of Use and therefore perfectly punishable?
willsham45 said:
If anywhere this should be for Cheat free survers in multiplayer games and even then it is a bit harsh
If it's a cheat-free server, how is it harsh to punish people for using cheats there? In fact, it's even more justifiable. If there are servers set aside specifically for people who want to cheat, why are they doing so on the non-cheating servers?

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
What constitutes cheating in Shadow Complex? The only kind I can think of is sequence breaking, some, if not all, of which was purposefully built into the game. Do they mean glitching the game and getting out of the map and stuff like that? Why would that be bad? I can't really think of any kind of cheating that calls for this kind of action. As for getting the full game free by glitching the demo, they already took care of that by blocking one of the passages towards the end of the game. What exact offenses are they talking about here?

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Silk_Sk said:
What constitutes cheating in Shadow Complex? The only kind I can think of is sequence breaking, some, if not all, of which was purposefully built into the game. Do they mean glitching the game and getting out of the map and stuff like that? Why would that be bad? I can't really think of any kind of cheating that calls for this kind of action. As for getting the full game free by glitching the demo, they already took care of that by blocking one of the passages towards the end of the game. What exact offenses are they talking about here?
I think it's the leaderboards for the timed challenges.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
Joshimodo said:
Angron said:
u do realise people pay stupid amounts for things like avatar clothes to stand out right?

and my point was, i dont care about gamerscore, cause all it proves is ive got nothing better to do to a bunch of random people on the internet
What has avatar clothing got to do with what you said? The edits made to your profile simply make your name/location/bio and motto all say "I'm a dirty cheater", and your gamerscore set to 0, and achievements permanently locked. How is that anything like an avatar?

avatars are part of your profile...

when people see ur profile they see them...

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
I'm gonna sit back and watch the floods of people sitting at 0 gamerscore.

I'm 100% safe cause I don't even OWN Shadow Complex!

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Meado said:
Silk_Sk said:
I think it's the leaderboards for the timed challenges.
Correct. Here's the thread where it's stated (not quoted in the article for some reason): http://forums.chairentertainment.com/showthread.php?t=509

This also includes the addendum, clarifying what they mean by cheating:
Chair said:
Our intent is to remove only those players who have intentionally violated the spirit of the game by generating false leaderboard information to modify their score. This does not include sequence-breaking or other in-game exploits which were designed to enhance the player?s experience and are fully supported by our team.
Personally, I've never given much thought over leaderboards in the first place. Too much effort for too little reward.