Microsoft Will Wipe Gamerscores for Shadow Complex Cheating

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Buy us a new Xbox 360 then Microsft, I'm pretty sure all those RROD issues are far more serious.

Dr. Love

Apr 18, 2009
What they should do is wipe their scores, but instead of branding them cheaters, a undeleteabl mini-patch is automatically installed onto their xbox adding handicaps to any online game they may be attending directed of course at them and any other cheaters in the game.

A bit unrealistic perhaps but would be very nice to dissuade them. Some examples could of course include Halo 3, starting at half health and half shield every respawn, GoW2 again half health can only carry one gun, Cod4 could possibly start you with half ammo, but then again if their cheating they suck and would die before using that regardless so perhaps always in state of near death :D

Edit: On second thought that CoD one, maybe they can't use perks and/or the near death thing

Li1t

Jun 2, 2009
pneuma08 said:
Meado said:
I think it's the leaderboards for the timed challenges.
Correct. Here's the thread where it's stated (not quoted in the article for some reason): http://forums.chairentertainment.com/showthread.php?t=509

This also includes the addendum, clarifying what they mean by cheating:
Chair said:
Our intent is to remove only those players who have intentionally violated the spirit of the game by generating false leaderboard information to modify their score. This does not include sequence-breaking or other in-game exploits which were designed to enhance the player?s experience and are fully supported by our team.
Personally, I've never given much thought over leaderboards in the first place. Too much effort for too little reward.
Forgive me for not being a 360 or Shadow Complex owner, but I still don't understand what is meant by this. How is it possible to modify this information?

Isn't it possible for the developers to simply close whatever loophole obviously exists? In-deed isn't that what they should do rather than threatening people with raping their online account information?

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Angron said:

avatars are part of your profile...

when people see ur profile they see them...
No, they don't. At least, outside of Xbox.com.

The point being, you don't need to pay to customise your avatar, and you don't need to pay to customise and edit your profile.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I would love that.

I looovvveeee getting achievements.

And I would SO do it over again.

Besides my Halo Achievements. I'm not doing the Campaign again.

Scratcher

Mar 27, 2009
Sounds like a great idea, and one we've been waiting for. They aren't talking about domestic cheating (in reference to the using GTA cheats comment) but hackers basically. Pity they can't add some of this new rightousness to some of their other games (or are their people out there that enjoy playing against rank 40 peeps in boot camp games in CoD?)

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
People cheat all the time on other arcade games, why do they care so much about Shadow Complex? I understand when MS resets people's gamerscore for glitching achievements because that makes sense - taking away something that that isn't rightfully theirs. If there are glitches in the game then whose fault is it that these glitches are exploited? If these people are using 1337 h4xx then that's a different matter but it sounds trivial to me.

CrymsonX

Jun 26, 2009
Mrsnugglesworth said:
I would love that.

There are no "do overs". They wipe your score, they don't reset the achievements. I don't know if that means that when you look at your achievement list if they will be there or not, but there will be no way to re-earn them.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Good for you Microsoft. Teach those cheaters they're not welcome online.

Though Capcom's way of dealing with cheaterss was a wee bit funnier. XD

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Wow that is a great idea. There is probably going to be a lot of bitching following this though.

DemonI81

Aug 27, 2008
Xvito said:
Keane Ng said:
"Those accounts determined by the Xbox enforcement team to have their gamerscore reset will be branded on Xbox LIVE as belonging to a cheater, and this information will be reflected in the gamer profile, both on Xbox.com and in the Xbox Dashboard on the console."

So not only will you lose all your precious gamerpoints, but you'll have to suffer the stigma of being branded a cheater for the world to know. I suppose whatever kind of crazy fool gets off on cheating just to get to the top of a leaderboard in an XBLA game might not really care no matter what Microsoft does to them, but whoever would consider it, consider this a warning.
I know I shouldn't... But...

... Nazi-Germany much? I mean the part about "branding" the cheaters.
Since they wont ban a console for cheating to get gamerscore, no matter how many tags associated with that console are caught, they "brand" them.

As said, it's pointless since all these cheaters take that as a badge of honor, create a new tag, and do it all again. MS should just reset them, flag their console's ID number and move on. Once that console has had a cheater on it 3 times, ban the console from LIVE.
Most of these cheaters don't pay for LIVE anyway, they just use the 1 month free from a new sign up then hack gamerscore for other people in exchange for LIVE cards.

May 28, 2009
Finally! I hate looking at the leaderboards for these games and noticing that the top players have finished a level in 0:002 seconds. I am more in favour of permanent banning, but resetting someone's gamerscore would be hilarious! I'd love to see their faces.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Xvito said:
Not really, it's more American [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarlet_Letter] to tell the truth though that's not necessarily a blessing.

Having had to deal with some of these cheat-tards in the past, though, I wouldn't mind some punishment more goose-steppy than a gamerscore nullification and a cheater brand. Cheating is usually one of their less annoying character flaws.

-- Steve

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
I'm for this, but really, they do this for shadow complex specifically because epic is whinning in microsoft's pocket, and who's fault is it for having a glitchy crappy engine? if epic wants microsoft to make such a big deal of people screwing with their game, they need to get their act togeather and actually fix their engine, the lazy tards

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Li1t said:
pneuma08 said:
Meado said:
I think it's the leaderboards for the timed challenges.
Correct. Here's the thread where it's stated (not quoted in the article for some reason): http://forums.chairentertainment.com/showthread.php?t=509

This also includes the addendum, clarifying what they mean by cheating:
Chair said:
Our intent is to remove only those players who have intentionally violated the spirit of the game by generating false leaderboard information to modify their score. This does not include sequence-breaking or other in-game exploits which were designed to enhance the player?s experience and are fully supported by our team.
Personally, I've never given much thought over leaderboards in the first place. Too much effort for too little reward.
Forgive me for not being a 360 or Shadow Complex owner, but I still don't understand what is meant by this. How is it possible to modify this information?

Isn't it possible for the developers to simply close whatever loophole obviously exists? In-deed isn't that what they should do rather than threatening people with raping their online account information?
That's a really good question, and one I was wondering myself. It seems like, "generating false leaderboard information to modify their score" sort of implies that they're either using an external application or in-engine fooling the game into giving them stuff that isn't possible (like tricking the clock into not counting or something).

As for why the devs haven't patched it, that could be for any number of reasons. It could be the devs don't know exactly what's wrong (as the cheaters apparently aren't being glib about what they did to break the game), it could be the loophole has more to do with XBL than Shadow Complex (as this isn't a problem unique to SC), it could be extremely difficult to close (perhaps requiring a reworking of a large percentage of game logic or even network code), it could be pure laziness, or any combination of the above.

DemonI81 said:
Xvito said:
Keane Ng said:
"Those accounts determined by the Xbox enforcement team to have their gamerscore reset will be branded on Xbox LIVE as belonging to a cheater, and this information will be reflected in the gamer profile, both on Xbox.com and in the Xbox Dashboard on the console."

So not only will you lose all your precious gamerpoints, but you'll have to suffer the stigma of being branded a cheater for the world to know. I suppose whatever kind of crazy fool gets off on cheating just to get to the top of a leaderboard in an XBLA game might not really care no matter what Microsoft does to them, but whoever would consider it, consider this a warning.
I know I shouldn't... But...

Since they wont ban a console for cheating to get gamerscore, no matter how many tags associated with that console are caught, they "brand" them.

As said, it's pointless since all these cheaters take that as a badge of honor, create a new tag, and do it all again. MS should just reset them, flag their console's ID number and move on. Once that console has had a cheater on it 3 times, ban the console from LIVE.
Most of these cheaters don't pay for LIVE anyway, they just use the 1 month free from a new sign up then hack gamerscore for other people in exchange for LIVE cards.
A few things - firstly, banning consoles wouldn't work because it would kill the secondary market. Microsoft would both have to maintain a list of banned consoles and have it accessible so that people can tell if they are buying a LIVE brick, and moreover people wouldn't check it, and returns would go up. That, and if Microsoft is reasonable and provides some way for consoles to be "unlocked" via calling a number, that further invalidates the whole process. I can also think of some situations where a console is being used by mulitple people (read: paying customers), only a fraction of whom cheat. It doesn't seem wise to ban them all.

Secondly, from Microsoft's POV, it doesn't matter if cheaters bum LIVE cards off their friends or whatever, if someone bought a LIVE card, they've got their money. Furthermore, cheaters can choose to either keep (and pay for) their badge-of-honor cheater tag, or let it go (leaving it just as a story) and start a new account. If they're using pre-paid cards, as they've already paid for months with a cheater account, and if they want to play without the tag they'll need a new (paid for after the first month) account; and if they are paying month-to-month they'll need to support their old account if they want to keep it. This is Microsoft double-dipping - if they can't eradicate the problem, they might as well try to profit from it.

I mean, if MS just dropped the ban hammer, the cheaters would just go and make a new account anyway, so that's not any better no matter which way you slice it.

Oh, and the "Badge of Shame [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badge_of_shame]" has been used throughout the ages, and although the Nazi reference is apt, it implies much more than is necessary.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
Joshimodo said:
Angron said:

avatars are part of your profile...

when people see ur profile they see them...
No, they don't. At least, outside of Xbox.com.

The point being, you don't need to pay to customise your avatar, and you don't need to pay to customise and edit your profile.
u see them on xbox live...

also u dont need to pay to customizze them but plenty of people do

and lastly, its was a joke...im gonna stop saying anything on the escapist cause im fed up of people having a go at me for no reason whatsoever...

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
CrymsonX said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
I would love that.

There are no "do overs". They wipe your score, they don't reset the achievements. I don't know if that means that when you look at your achievement list if they will be there or not, but there will be no way to re-earn them.
That would kill me.

Having 0 gamerscore and NOT being able to regain those Achieves?

Ack.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I only put a slight effort into pursueing Gamerscore, I have like 12,000 achievement points out of a possible 40k something. Granted I do have a bad habit of not finishing games, and have a lot of games with 1 or 2 achievements I wound up not liking on my list.

The thing that gets me here is that I actually paid to DL Shadow Complex 2 days ago due to the hype. Now I'm afraid to play it without knowing exactly what they are calling cheating.

I also look back to the whole thing with Fable II, Pub Games and how a cheat was built into the game which nobody was sure if it was intentional or not. Everyone used it, and it was the source of much speculation. It also resulted in achievements.

I really think that if Microsoft is going to do something like this they should be a lot more specific as to the charges.

That said, Shadow Complex is a bloody XBL game. Truthfully there are FAR worse bits of cheating, exploiting, and such going on in actual games. People using "turbo mode" controllers to do taps/countertaps and such in wrestling games and such (not a major complaint for me, but people do talk about it). That's the kind of stuff they need to spend their time focusing on. Competitive Fighting Games, and FPS games are the ones where you probably have the most exploits and such being employed for purposes of rankings and leaderboards. Everyone denies it of course, but at the same time everyone knows it's going on too (again I don't personally care much, this is for those that do care).

>>>----Therumancer--->

Captain Kail

Sep 24, 2009
willsham45 said:
Who the hell thought that was a good idea. Its like having everything you own taken away from you cause you got caught steeling a packet of chewing gum.
If you can equate losing your gamerscore to having everything taken away from you, then you should re-evaluate your priorities.

And yes, Microsoft SHOULD brand such people as cheaters. Just how being thrown in prison brands you as, you know, A PRISONER.