Microsoft Xbox needs to die.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Char-Nobyl said:
So...to put things differently, I own the gun, but I only have a 'license' for the bullets inside the magazine?
Guns != Software, that should be fairly obvious.
I'm curious how only having the contents of the disc 'licensed' even matters when you own the physical disc. I mean, it matters in the modern DRM era, but even then, owning the disc seems like a pretty big part of it. It sounds like all the license does is prevent you from replicating/profiting from it yourself.
Do you own the copyright to the software? If the answer is no, then you can't own the game. That's exactly what a license is, it's a set of terms and conditions for the use of said software that says that you may use it so long as you follow their terms.
I mean, T-shirts are like that, too, if they've got a copyrighted logo on it.
Yes, you own the Tshirt, but not the logo. Again, this should be fairly obvious.

If you're still confused, look up copyrights and intellectual property.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Veylon said:
All that and yet you bought four of the things and continue to pay for their internet services? When you keep throwing money at them like this, you are giving them every reason to think they are doing a fantastic job.
More or less my sentiments exactly.

If OP wants them to lose, then why does he continue to support them?

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
Guns != Software, that should be fairly obvious.
...I think you got whatever symbol you were going for wrong. Either that, or '!=' isn't a sign that I recognize.

Waaghpowa said:
Do you own the copyright to the software? If the answer is no, then you can't own the game. That's exactly what a license is, it's a set of terms and conditions for the use of said software that says that you may use it so long as you follow their terms.
So we get back to the point I was trying to make: there's a big difference between owning a disc with licensed software on it versus just having the licensed software by means of some online source, and most of it comes down to physically owning something in the case of the former and physically owning jack in the latter. Can we agree on that part?

Waaghpowa said:
Yes, you own the Tshirt, but not the logo. Again, this should be fairly obvious.

If you're still confused, look up copyrights and intellectual property.
I think we got our wires crossed at some point in this conversation. I was pointing out that through systems like Steam, you own nothing at all when purchasing a license to a game. With CDs, you own the means by which you are given a license of the game, to which you replied, "All software is licenses, you don't own your Xbox games either. Get over it." I don't own the copyright to Ninja Gaiden because I bought the game, nor did I ever claim to, but I sure as hell own the disc itself, and that's far more power for me than what Steam offers.

LauriJ

Mar 1, 2012
Well, Microsoft is still a newcomer in the console business. Just let them do their thing and you can bet they can come up with an amazing console, one that would rival even Playstation.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
Zeckt said:
In a perfect world everyone would buy games only for the pc
and with that line, you have destroyed your entire credibility. Computer's are expensive, this coming from someone with a full time job. I can't afford to buy a high-powered gaming pc and keep it updated with various software and hardware.

for people who can't afford high-spec gaming pc's, consoles are a godsend, nad that's what I will stick with.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Char-Nobyl said:
You seen to be confused by the idea that owning a disc with software is any different than downloading it from the internet. The disc is merely a medium in which the software is delivered to the end user, the internet is just another method. I can actually put steam games on to discs, external drives or flash drives for personal use. The fact you bought a disc at the store means very little and doesn't change anything except how you feel about.

Edit: In fact, it's easier to prove I own a license of a game on steam should anything happen. If you lose your disc or it breaks what can you do? Damaged disc, sure you can return/replace it but lose it? Try going to the game store and see how that works out. Don't bother saying "Well I don't lose my discs/break them", no shit. Things happen and things get lost. Steam game gets corrupted or uninstalled? I just re download it, no questions asked. The ability to retrieve my game from anywhere anytime is worth far more than a stupid plastic disc.

!= means "not equal to" in C code by the way

Since you seem so convinced that something as material as a sliver of plastic makes anydifference in how you receive your games, I would suggest you go out and buy a spindle of DVD's for those games you have on XBLA, PSN or when things start making their transition to digital. Don't want you to start feeling scared.

Also preemptively ignoring you since I'm tired of arguing about how a stupid plastic disc makes any difference in software purchases that you have no ownership over anyway.

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
Zeckt said:
What is there to defend about the 360 other then brand loyalty?
I'm an XBox fan! But no, I can't think of a decent "for" arguement against this.

I will, however, say that apparently, according to a few console repair shops I know of, the Playstation 3 apparently dies alot easier, but Sony are more willing to bribe silence out of people by just handing them a new one.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
aaaaawww, look. the haters going to cry...somebody get a tissue.

Xbox may not be the best thing out their but it's alot better than the alternatives. i feel that microsoft is a bit more trustworthy than their competitors (*ahem* sony *ahem*). I mean look Sony's record...how many times have they been hacked? how much important personal information has been stolen? Microsoft is much more secure.

and now not our fualt you've had complete crap luck iwth the xbox. don't blame others becuase mine is just fine.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Still have my original Xbox that was purchased during the launch week of the console. Yup. My original controller finally died in the middle of last year but other then that I'm golden with it. :)

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Take better care of your consoles people!

- Make sure they have room to breath/expend heat.
- Don't stack them on top of each other.
- Don't leave a cluttered mess around them. Trash goes in a trash can.
- Dust them when they need it.
- Keep them off the floor, especially a carpeted floor.

This isn't rocket science people. Neglected/abused things tend to break.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Grunt_Man11 said:
Take better care of your consoles people!

- Make sure they have room to breath/expend heat.
- Don't stack them on top of each other.
- Don't leave a cluttered mess around them. Trash goes in a trash can.
- Dust them when they need it.
- Keep them off the floor, especially a carpeted floor.

This isn't rocket science people. Neglected/abused things tend to break.
I've been neglecting and abusing my consoles since I was four years old and the only ones to ever die on me were 360s. :(

Also, my NES is older than me and works fine.

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
Zeckt said:
What is there to defend about the 360 other then brand loyalty?
Well.....Oh, when I press the open button on my console it makes a sort of: "Bzzzzuuuuuuuu", Noise......which makes me smile :)

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
I theorize that the Xbox 360 works for the the dark-side of the force now hear me out here. The Xbox 360 is like any other corporation that wants MONEY which is okay, but they seem to suck much more money from people than a sane corporation would. The reason being is that THEY ARE BUILDING A DEATH STAR 3.0. It costs around 8.1 quadrillion dollars to make one so this explains their leech-like sucking of money from people and they don't care who goes down in the process because they work for Darth Vader. Darth Vader controls them with his legendary powers of darkness to convert them to his side. This explains why they make their huge games like Gears of War and Halo so bloody, repetitive, and addicting: so they can MAKE MONEY as cheaply as possible for the Death Star 3.0 which will be finished after the next installment of Halo comes out. The Kinect is agreeably complete CRAP but it made MILLIONS of dollars. Why, because its cheap and repetitive and people are used to buying this crap from Microsoft which I theorize they already know is crap but they still buy it because the Microsoft Corporation is controlling them with the dark-side's force. THIS MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Veylon said:
All that and yet you bought four of the things and continue to pay for their internet services? When you keep throwing money at them like this, you are giving them every reason to think they are doing a fantastic job.
Quoted for truth. I do not own a 360. Never have, never will. My friend is on his fifth. I bought my PS3 at full original price shortly after release and it still cost me less than half what all his Xboxes cost him. Oh, AND it's a more powerful system, AND allows use of its online services without a fee, AND has worked flawlessly for years instead of needing to be shipped to California every so often. Given the reputation 360s have earned I can't believe anyone would buy one.

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
Alright, then. I've never played an Xbox 360 in my life, and have been a long-time PC/PS3 supporter, going to mainly PC in the past 2 or 3 years. I will challenge anyone who thinks that Xbox is better than PC or PS3 to provide me a (better) way to communicate with my friends who are all on Steam through Xbox. "Make new friends! You're not being rational!" I hear you saying, skirting my demand.

I'm not trying to be a major hater of Microsoft, and I am not denying its success, its console, or its fan-base. But it's like this: Just because something is better than something else, does not mean the something else is worse. What I'm saying is, I think the PC is better, but that doesn't make the Xbox bad. It just means that the PC has more to suit my needs as opposed to yours. I go on my PC for many games that aren't even available on either of the consoles, which includes games like Tribes: Ascend and Kerbal Space Program.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
You seen to be confused by the idea that owning a disc with software is any different than downloading it from the internet.
...Christ, I'm dreading the rest of this message already. I get the frightening feeling that at some point, reality is going to be referred to as "meat-space." But here's to hoping I'm wrong.

Waaghpowa said:
I can actually put steam games on to discs, external drives or flash drives for personal use.
There's no Steam stipulation about the copying of games onto external storage devices? Huh. Didn't know that.

Waaghpowa said:
The fact you bought a disc at the store means very little and doesn't change anything except how you feel about.
...so you agree with me, then? About how I, personally, prefer ownership of a physical CD over the purchase of a game of equal content over a totally digital medium?

Waaghpowa said:
Edit: In fact, it's easier to prove I own a license of a game on steam should anything happen. If you lose your disc or it breaks what can you do? Damaged disc, sure you can return/replace it but lose it? Try going to the game store and see how that works out. Don't bother saying "Well I don't lose my discs/break them", no shit. Things happen and things get lost. Steam game gets corrupted or uninstalled? I just re download it, no questions asked. The ability to retrieve my game from anywhere anytime is worth far more than a stupid plastic disc.
Fair enough. Allow me to provide a counter-example:

You manage to piss off your patron developer, and you get the right to download/play the games you bought revoked. And unlike your hypothetical scenario that required me to become careless with my discs, you can get banned from Origin (whose terms of use agreement is virtually the same as Steam's) and lose the right to play the games you bought because someone put your name in a post that the moderators of their forums thought were inflammatory.

So yes, maybe I might be careless and lose a disc. That's my responsibility. But I prefer whether I can play a game or not to be my responsibility rather than being subject to the whim of a glaring clerical error.

Waaghpowa said:
!= means "not equal to" in C code by the way
As opposed to =/=, which is the same thing, but for everyone else who doesn't feel compelled to show that they know C++.

Waaghpowa said:
Since you seem so convinced that something as material as a sliver of plastic makes anydifference in how you receive your games, I would suggest you go out and buy a spindle of DVD's for those games you have on XBLA, PSN or when things start making their transition to digital. Don't want you to start feeling scared.
Remember that example of a game I gave earlier? Note that it was a specific, full-priced game. Your poorly-worded insult about buying XBLA games is about as applicable as telling me to go put my emails in a mailbox because I like sending things via the postal service from time to time.

Waaghpowa said:
Also preemptively ignoring you since I'm tired of arguing about how a stupid plastic disc makes any difference in software purchases that you have no ownership over anyway.
Ah, there it is. The sign of the anti-Luddite, so convinced of the boons of technology that anything that uses physical objects must be evil and destroyed. I suppose I should also burn all my books and get an e-reader, right? Maybe skip the whole 'Christmas Card' thing and send out a bunch of emails with dancing Santa .gifs attached? Or even better, screw analogue photo albums. Who needs them when I can store hundreds of thousands of pictures on a flashdrive?