Microsoft's E3 Show Will Focus on Games

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Microsoft's E3 Show Will Focus on Games

Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb has said in a Tweet that Microsoft will be turning off the television for E3.

A lot was said about television at Microsoft's Xbox One reveal . Too much, in fact, for many people disappointment the event wasn't weighted more toward the gamers. It wasn't as if there wasn't any videogame news. Gamers were able to take an extended look at Forza and promised a whopping <a href=http://www.videogamer.com/news/microsoft_promises_15_xbox_one_exclusives_within_first_year_of_launch.html>fifteen exclusives titles, including eight new IPs, within the Xbox One's first year on the market. That said the focus was clearly on the console's uses as a multimedia device, a move that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7358-Xbox-One-out-of-Ten>angered more than a few prospective customers.

With E3 a little more than a week away however, Microsoft is now assuring gamers that its Xbox One presentation at the world's premier gaming event will, in fact, be about videogames. Microsoft spokesperson Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb, has been doing his part by fielding questions on Twitter. Recently, one user asked Hryb if Microsoft would be showing off more TV features at its presentation. "I can confirm that we will have TV's (or similar) on stage to show the games," replied Hryb. "That should be the [extent] of TV talk in your E3." Hopefully Hryb's statement is accurate and the company has learned its lesson from the anger stoked by the Xbox One reveal. If it hasn't Sony seems more than willing to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124494-Sony-Says-PS4-is-First-and-Foremost-a-Game-Console>pick up the pro-gaming slack.

Source: <a href=http://kotaku.com/no-tv-talk-at-the-xbox-e3-conference-microsoft-says-510680543>Kotaku

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
*gasp a smart marketing decision by Microsoft. Next thing you know they're going to explicitly state their views on used games and onlineness instead of days and days of mixed messages and providing no information despite not refusing to comment.

and then the world will end.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It's kinda sad that they have to say "We're actually gonna be talking about games this time" May actually watch E3 live this year.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well it's a start, but MS has to really have the most impressive E3 ever to win back the audiences after that trainwreck of a reveal. They should have honestly not done the reveal and should have just waited until E3 since all the reveal has done for them is ruin their image and boosted the image of their competitors.
But at the same time if this reveal hadn't of happened then we wouldn't be getting a week of Critical Miss comics, hilarious parodies, and overall seeing the hardcore fans either jumping ship or defending the Xbone to death in often times hilarious ways.

But I also remember how E3 has gone for MS the last couple of years and it's not been good. Out of all the companies this E3 is really gonna make or break MS big time.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Good. Now you've got all that stupid shit out of the way with the reveal, Microsoft, maybe we'll finally get some fucking games for this thing.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
I really think we're sending Microsoft the wrong message.
Shouldn't they address the used game and semi-always-online shit before the TV thing?

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
So they are turning off the TV coverage of their E3 conference, but they are promising to reveal games at it. Isn't this a bit self defeating? It's their last chance to win people over and it would be helpful if the journalists actually had some kind of footage to use when explaining the good and bad they saw.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
You know you've messed up your company's image when you now have to announce things such as "You will be able to turn the Kinect 2.0 off!" and "We will be showing games at E3 this year!"

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The biggest problem with the reveal wasn't even the reveal; it was the other information that surfaced around the same time, primarily regarding the DRM. Showing games will not alone be enough to fix that.

P.S. Thanks

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Can you imagine if Microsoft had literally come out a few days before the reveal and said, no kidding, EXACTLY THIS THING? That they'd do the services like TV and sports at the reveal, then focus on games at E3? Imagine if they had made this clear in a statement a few days before the reveal.

IMAGINE THAT.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Breaking news! Someone leaked the script for the Microsoft E3 show. I'll quote it:

Curtains open.
Enter Don Mattick [business casual], stage left
"Xbox One plays video games too!"
[wait for standing ovation]
"Thank you and good night!"
Exit stage right.
Curtains close
Seems legit.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
LavaLampBamboo said:
Can you imagine if Microsoft had literally come out a few days before the reveal and said, no kidding, EXACTLY THIS THING? That they'd do the services like TV and sports at the reveal, then focus on games at E3? Imagine if they had made this clear in a statement a few days before the reveal.

IMAGINE THAT.
That, however, would have been sensible. :)
When you're a mega-corporation hellbent on dominating the livingroom, sense is the last thing you want to be making. The consumers can understand sense, duplicitous gobbledigook works so much better as a marketing tool. :D

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
The fact that they need to mention "We won't talk about the TV at the gaming expo." is worrying. I thought that was a forgone conclusion...

Were they actually planning on mentioning more of the TV features at one of the BIGGEST GAMING CONVENTIONS (and collection of 'booth babes' /sigh) in the world?

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Azhrarn-101 said:
LavaLampBamboo said:

IMAGINE THAT.
That, however, would have been sensible. :)
When you're a mega-corporation hellbent on dominating the livingroom, sense is the last thing you want to be making. The consumers can understand sense, duplicitous gobbledigook works so much better as a marketing tool. :D
I was being sarcastic. They did exactly this from the get go and made it clear that was the approach they were taking

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123503-Next-Xbox-Debuts-In-26-Days

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Ah, so this time is the big reveal about streaming movies through the Xbone?

Nice to see some differences.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Colt47 said:
So they are turning off the TV coverage of their E3 conference, but they are promising to reveal games at it. Isn't this a bit self defeating? It's their last chance to win people over and it would be helpful if the journalists actually had some kind of footage to use when explaining the good and bad they saw.
Yeah, I think we need to read the article again. It's not about media coverage, it's about the TV features. They wont focus on TV features on their E3 and rather focus on the games.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
LavaLampBamboo said:
I was being sarcastic. They did exactly this from the get go and made it clear that was the approach they were taking

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123503-Next-Xbox-Debuts-In-26-Days
I see, as you could see, I was being sarcastic too. ;) Weird that there's such a fuss if they actually announced that they'd be doing this.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Well then they shouldn't have done the reveal

I think they only did it because Sony did it. Did a piss poor job at that..

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
Breaking news! Someone leaked the script for the Microsoft E3 show. I'll quote it:

Curtains open.
Enter Don Mattick [business casual], stage left
"Xbox One plays video games too!"
[plays taped standing ovation over the speakers]
"Thank you and good night!"
Exit stage right.
Curtains close
Seems legit.
Fixed it for you