Microsoft's Phil Spencer Not Sure if Minecraft Sequel Makes Sense

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
Microsoft's Phil Spencer Not Sure if Minecraft Sequel Makes Sense

Phil Spencer explains the desire to "meet the needs of the community" first before moving on with Minecraft.

After Microsoft first acquired Mojang, fans were understandably concerned for the series' future: would the tech giant treat the IP with respect or attempt to move in a direction that wouldn't sit well with the leagues of fans across the globe?

It looks like the latest decision regarding everyone's favorite block building game might make some waves within the community -- but only because there really isn't a clear answer just yet.

Head of Xbox Phil Spencer recently spoke with GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-talks-minecraft-buyout-possibility-of-mi/1100-6423159/] about the company's purchase of Mojang, during which he divulged that Microsoft is in fact in the process of determining the direction the IP should go in. Some diehards clamor for a sequel, but Spencer isn't quite sure that's what's best for Mojang's $2.5 billion dollar baby.

"I don't know if Minecraft 2, if that's the thing that makes most sense," he confided to GameSpot, explaining further that what the community wants, as well as what the community needs, is going to have to come first. He went on to note that the series has "such headroom as an IP," and as such he loves what Minecraft means for the entire industry as a game with so much potential to grow.

Whatever happens with the franchise, Microsoft has vowed that the previously established versions of Minecraft not on Microsoft systems, such as the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita editions, will not be shuttered. So while the future is a bit uncertain, at the very least fans will be able to continue playing across several different mediums -- until something's been decided, anyway.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.vg247.com/2014/10/25/minecraft-minecraft-2-xbox-one/]

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
okay, so they're not going to force out a sequel if they don't think it's the best option, fair enough, but did he just admit that they don't know what to do with the IP? they spend billions to secure the IP and have no idea what to do with it? I can't decide if that's infuriating or hilarious

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
Oly J said:
did he just admit that they don't know what to do with the IP? they spend billions to secure the IP and have no idea what to do with it?
I don't think it matters if they know yet. The way an article I read put it Steve is the Mario for this generation, they'll have plenty of time to make their money back, even if it is all on merch.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
One thing I get pissy about is when people to refer to a single game as a "series" when there hasn't been anything but speculation that there might, keyword might, be a sequel. Its not a series, its one friggin' game.
Now if they release a second one, then by all means call it a "series". This expectation of sequels is one reason why we get watered down versions of great games. STOP EXPECTING SEQUELS!
Please?

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
If there is to be a sequel or reboot of Minecraft, I guarantee that it'll be free-to-play with Facebook integration and content pay-walls. Ya, it'll suck.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I think he's absolutely right, Mincraft 2 doesn't make sense.

What does make sense is DLC expansion packs that add new items and content within the existing world. Why make your customers pay $20 for a copy of Mincraft when you can get them to pay $80 through the course of a ton of shitty $5 item packs.

As for the mention of the buyout, my friend and I were talking about that. Had they spent the same amount of cash on improving their Windows Phone, they probably could have turned that failure around. Hell, if they had just looked at the top 2000 apps on the Android and iTunes store, the could have handed out a million dollars to each of those companies for them to make a Windows port of the app. A million dollars! To two thousand developers to make the top 2000 apps! How is that not a better idea than buying Minecraft!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Signa said:
I think he's absolutely right, Mincraft 2 doesn't make sense.

What does make sense is DLC expansion packs that add new items and content within the existing world. Why make your customers pay $20 for a copy of Mincraft when you can get them to pay $80 through the course of a ton of shitty $5 item packs.
Skin packs and other upgrades, yeah I agree that'd be the smart way to go forward. Instead of trying to sell a sequal it'd be better to offer upgrade packs, such as expansions etc.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Oly J said:
okay, so they're not going to force out a sequel if they don't think it's the best option, fair enough, but did he just admit that they don't know what to do with the IP? they spend billions to secure the IP and have no idea what to do with it? I can't decide if that's infuriating or hilarious
They might just have wanted to slap "From the makes of Minecraft " on whatever they have the studio churn out next.

Or maybe they genuinely believe the team is talented and can replicate Minecraft's success with a completely different IP.

Really, there's several reasons to buy a studio, even if you don't intend to do anything with it's flagship title.

Jiggle Counter

Sep 18, 2014
The latest version 1.8 still has bugs.

Console versions of Minecraft are obsolete, their version doesn't have horses, so I assume it's version 1.5.2 or before.

There's work to do, nobody should be even thinking of a sequel.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
rasputin0009 said:
If there is to be a sequel or reboot of Minecraft, I guarantee that it'll be free-to-play with Facebook integration and content pay-walls. Ya, it'll suck.
Yeah, it'll pretty much just be an excuse to rip out content then sell it back as DLC. Standard Big Business practices.

Jsan the Candyman

Sep 5, 2014
Jiggle Counter said:
The latest version 1.8 still has bugs.

Console versions of Minecraft are obsolete, their version doesn't have horses, so I assume it's version 1.5.2 or before.

There's work to do, nobody should be even thinking of a sequel.
Not to mention that the terrain sucked since Beta 1.8. I do see a trend in 1.8 updates screwing things over. Will the trend continue.

The past few updates have been rather lackluster in my opinion. I wonder if Microsoft plans to up the content.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Oly J said:
Welcome to the world of Big Business, where mergers are based not on common sense, but on whether the property for sale is Hot or Not! Minecraft is big right now, so better snap it up and damn the expense.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
I'm still not sure why paying billions for Minecraft at all made sense. As I've said before it's kinda late to chase this bandwagon let alone pay a kings ransom for it. Making a sequel is about the only step that makes any sense now that they have it. *shrugs*

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The only way I see this getting a sequel is when MS wants to do away with the non-MS versions of the game. I have to be honest, I will be completely surprised if they don't cut Mod support for this somehow. They are so hostile towards modding on the PC. But, I'm not gonna sit here and fear monger. I can only hope they keep it as open as it is, because that is actually the reason for it's continues success.

Jiggle Counter

Sep 18, 2014
Jsan the Candyman said:
The past few updates have been rather lackluster in my opinion. I wonder if Microsoft plans to up the content.
That was one of the worries I had when Microsoft bought Mojang, as I'm always wondering if Microsoft will do what Mojang did originally... ie. mojang sold a game, you bought it ONCE, Mojang would continually improve it with updates which weren't sold as DLC.

I admit, if mojang sold their updates as DLC, like if the horse update costs $5, I probably would've been stupid enough to buy it. But it would've changed my state-of-mind towards the overall experience.

If the update was free, and there were bugs, I'm fine with it.
If the update was paid DLC, and there were bugs, I'd deliver them bloodied spleens and angry letters in the mail.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
Even if they do create expansions, I thought that everyone who purchased during beta would never have to pay for those, didn't it say that? If so, could Microsoft still make those people pay for expansions?

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Why would anyone spend over 2 billion dollars on something they don't intend to use?

Answer: No one would.

Answer #2: Something is going to be done.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
No there is only one route they can go here if they don't want this to make no sense. The top heel buying the services of a face for protection turns them heel...that character can't just keep acting like they have done, they have to change their character in some way.

The first option would be Minecraft 2 exclusive to Xbox One.
The second option would be to release a Minecraft 2 and have it on everything, Sony and Nintendo I don't think are going to mind (no reason to).
The third would be to go the route of the second above but put up paywalls everywhere except the Xbox One version, heck make it online only while at it.

However if this is another one of Microsoft's "classic" storylines than what'll happen is they'll not bother with Minecraft and put Mojang making Kinect games.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Everyone's talking about DLC/item packs, but the mod scene has already delivered so much content that it's hard to imagine what they could really add.

Still, there's probably a bit of money to be made by ripping off the most popular mod ideas and charging $5 to anyone who is too extract a few files.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
What?! Microsoft bought Mojang?!
Holy cow, how did I miss that?
Suddenly I feel retroactively dirty for ever playing that game.

OT: I guess before Microsoft makes a sequel they should concentrate on actually finishing the original Minecraft: get rid of the ugly developer textures (HA, yeah right); add some decent goals other than build, build, build; and fix all the glitches, wonky fluid physics, and all the other rough, rough edges.