Microsoft's Yusuf Mehdi: We Need To Educate Consumers

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Anathrax said:
"Customers don't like a change."

This is sort of true. I mean if you were a customer, would you like the change from a normal body to a normal body with a halberd shoved down your arse? Education my arse, Microsoft you need the education. If I didn't know better I'd say they'd be insulting customers.
Even if it wasn't necessarily bad change, they should have thought of this BEFORE they decided to change thigns up so much.

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
Irridium said:
I love how Microsoft is basically saying the exact same crap Sony was saying when they revealed the PS3.
That's pretty much what I was going to say, this feels like a reverse of the last console cycle. I bought a 360 then because it was cheaper and I had some loyalty to Microsoft and Xbox. This whole thing just makes me giggle. It's like...did you guys learn nothing from Sony's massive screw up the last time round? No? *Pounds with pebbles.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
"consumers don't like change"

No consumers don't like suddenly going from owning a game to renting a license for permission to play a game you have to pay 60+ dollars for.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Yes it is a big market. I failed to find anything interesting over at the Xbox stand, and the store run by old man Sony was closed for renovations, so I'm browsing the PC quarter of the market. They're next to the fruitstand and the shop selling pure, moddable AWESOME.

Setrus

Oct 17, 2011
Wait, I'm confused. Did he just say they need to "educate" the gamers? And THEN say "Oh the negativity is okay, because the broader community is ignorant"? Isn't that kind of...mmm...contradictory?

DocMcCray

Oct 14, 2010
MS: We are going to punch you in the balls and you are going to like it.
Consumer: But I don't like being punched in the balls.
MS: Let me try again...We are going to punch you in the balls and you are going to like it.
Consumer: Being punched in the balls hurts and I don't like it.
MS: Hmmm, apparently you just need to be educated on why you are going to like being punched in the balls.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
it seems the restrictions are so good for customers, they are in fact too good that they have just removed them

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Anathrax said:
"Customers don't like a change."

This is sort of true. I mean if you were a customer, would you like the change from a normal body to a normal body with a halberd shoved down your arse? Education my arse, Microsoft you need the education. If I didn't know better I'd say they'd be insulting customers.
Yeah... except I don't think I "know better". I'd say they ARE insulting their customers. This is not a new phenomena for Microsoft either (go back and take a look at their press-releases for the infamous "Windows ME".)

But the best line has to be this:

"In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details."

Maybe not, if they're buying budget. Has Microsoft forgotten that they're trying to make people pay hundreds of pounds (or dollars, or whatever your currency is) for this purchase? This is a premium purchase with a premium price, and Microsoft appears to believe that their target market will treat it as the same kind of impulse buy that you might make if you're considering a £2.50 iPhone game. Do they even understand that the vast majority of potential buyers of their product have budgets that they need to stick to?

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
While on one hand I agree that there are a lot of consumers out there (ie parents) who don't know the difference between one game and the next, which is why we have little crumb snatchers running around in games yelling ignorant shit on most popular multiplayer games. Those of us in the know, know that what Microsoft is trying to do is take away a lot of the power of private ownership of games released on their console and place it directly in their hands and that of the publishers. I agree that the PS4 is shaping up to be my next console, however I get the feeling that all is not as it seems with Sony's policies.