Mighty No. 9 Has Been Delayed - Aiming For Q1, 2016

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
B R A V O I N A F U N E

Shitposting aside, I'm not surprised. Comcept's practices were pretty 'shady' early on, too. It's a path they want to stick to, it seems.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Shiftygiant said:
Is anyone even still hyped for this?
Why ought they be? o.o Without a firm release date, who'd be hyped more than passingly for any game, crowdfunded or no? Getting 'hyped' just for a kickstarter's in development is like getting hyped for any other game's apparently in development.

I'm excited for Shipbreakers, but I'm not bouncing off the walls with hype while it's still in trundle-on-development mode.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
To Quote Miyamoto. " A Delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever. " I like what I've seen so far, will wait for them to finish.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Wait, I though the community had decided that rushing games out to meet arbitrary dates then using patches to fill in the gaps was the cancer killing games, but now when a dev actually does what you want its rage as far as the eye can see?

Jan 27, 2011
As a backer, I checked on the forums, and holy jeez the level of butthurt there is amazing.

Yeah, ok, look, it sucks that it's delayed.

But it's better they wait on it and iron out all the kinks. The game itself still looks good, so I'm willing to wait a few more months.

God knows I've had to wait way longer, and am STILL waiting longer than I wanted to for Cryamore and Lost Paradise. *sigh*

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
major_chaos said:
Wait, I though the community had decided that rushing games out to meet arbitrary dates then using patches to fill in the gaps was the cancer killing games, but now when a dev actually does what you want its rage as far as the eye can see?
I think it's less JUST that it's the delay(which usually is probably a good thing, though not always - see WatchDogs), but it's the delay in combination with the questionable Red Ash kickstarter in combination with them forging ahead on an animated series for a game that JUST got delayed because it wasn't ready yet, and so on.

The delay is just a further symptom of eyebrow-raising behavior Comcept has been doing. If people have faith in the developer, a delay is usually seen as a good thing, like when the Witcher 3 was pushed back a little.

If people have no faith in the developer, then a delay comes off like the desperate floundering to make the game at least passable before being launched into the void to be forgotten about, like with WatchDogs.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
erttheking said:
Is this game ever coming out? Wasn't it funded a long ass time ago?
Being funded doesn't automatically complete development, man. Game development takes a loooong time. It'll be out when it's out.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Winnosh said:
To Quote Miyamoto. " A Delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever. " I like what I've seen so far, will wait for them to finish.
This is kinda my stance on the whole thing. Granted there comes a time where that grace period expires and its certainly past that for me. Though that's one of those things that'll change for everyone.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
The Enquirer said:
Winnosh said:
This is kinda my stance on the whole thing. Granted there comes a time where that grace period expires and its certainly past that for me. Though that's one of those things that'll change for everyone.
I'm a neutral observer here since I'm not a backer and don't really have any immediate plans to purchase this. I also typically strongly agree with that sentiment and find it a major nuisance when people ***** about delays.

But... I don't want to make light of game development, but I mean come on this is a 2D side scrolling Megaman clone. On kickstarter they claim an "all-star team of veteran Mega Man devs". Two years ago (or 22 months) they raised nearly $4 million dollars on kickstarter. What the hell could they possibly be doing that's taking so long?

To add some contrast, I don't think it would be a stretch to say on a technical level that Might No. 9 shouldn't be much different than fellow 2-d side scrolling indie game Rogue Legacy. Except Rogue Legacy was created by two brothers in 18 months for a cost of $15,000. See what I'm getting at here?

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
RandV80 said:
I'm a neutral observer here since I'm not a backer and don't really have any immediate plans to purchase this. I also typically strongly agree with that sentiment and find it a major nuisance when people ***** about delays.
It's not that there is a delay it's the reasoning for the delay, we have to spend a year ironing out bugs is basically fobbing off talk.

But... I don't want to make light of game development, but I mean come on this is a 2D side scrolling Megaman clone. On kickstarter they claim an "all-star team of veteran Mega Man devs". Two years ago (or 22 months) they raised nearly $4 million dollars on kickstarter. What the hell could they possibly be doing that's taking so long?
Which is exactly what everyone else is asking now. It's a bloody Megaman game...It's a sweet looking megaman game but it's a megaman game. They're not exactly breaking new ground here.

To add some contrast, I don't think it would be a stretch to say on a technical level that Might No. 9 shouldn't be much different than fellow 2-d side scrolling indie game Rogue Legacy. Except Rogue Legacy was created by two brothers in 18 months for a cost of $15,000. See what I'm getting at here?
And as someone who has played Rogue Legacy, that game was simple and toight! So yeah one wanders what Kenji is doing. I think we've seen this pattern enough times. My theory is, he wants to ride the fame train a little longer because he knows once people realizes all he did was make a Megaman or Megaman X reskin, the love will dry up pretty quickly.

And he's still trying to capitalize on his fame for other things Like Red Ash, and the Red Ash anime...seriously.. an anime already? Not to mention he's already doing the preorder thing on STeam. Preorder now and get retro hero DLC. only $20.

Me thinks Kenji is gonna be in for a run awakening when someone likely beats him to the punch.

Oh wait: http://store.steampowered.com/app/363440/?snr=1_5_1100__1100

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
I think the people are less grunpy that the game overall is delayed, but rather about the fact that the same team wants to be backed for a second project (that leaned itself a bit far out of the window), despite not having finished the first project, and the first project beeing now held by a publisher.

So yeah, I totally can see why people are nagging. It's not the delay, it's the way they handle the public, their finances and their fans.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
What?!? That's not how modern games work. If they were a AAA game developer they'd release the game as is, then let the community patch the problems out while also taking percentage of the bug fixing mods. Clearly they don't understand the modern game industry.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
It's not so much the delay itself, but what's surrounding the delay. First there was the mess that they called community management, a considerble disconnect between backers and devs that was NOT supposed to happen, the suddenly getting a publisher (very late into the process I might add), the "backer exclusive" content being put as pre-order incentives, the anime, the movie , the second game which now has a publisher that is shady at best, two weeks ago Inafune saying the game was ready to be pushed out as it was, and now this.

For a game that was promoted as being made by the community, for the community, the community was largely seen and treated as little more than walking wallets and they're getting fed up with it.

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
And to think that I was actually initially sad that I missed the boat on this particular Kick-Starter. So glad I put my KS money into Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, and Umbra instead of this. It is just unfortunate that because of this, other more worthy/responsible kick-starter projects will have people being very hesitant to donate to them.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
RandV80 said:
The Enquirer said:
Winnosh said:

This is actually exactly what I'm getting at. I didn't back the project but was certainly excited to hear about it, just now the hype has died down. If there was a better level of communication with them explaining why its taking so long (ie a lot of extra content, staffing problems, bugs, etc) I'd be more forgiving, even and especially with the bad stuff because it would at least convey that they want a really good launch and product.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
... The reason I initially defended Read Ash is because I assumed that half the team would be twiddling their thumbs because Mighty No 9 was pretty much just in the testing period. Seeing this little development, well, Red Ash can go fuck itself and Inafune can get lost after this. Christ, I was so hyped for the September release...

Better be a damn good reason for that delay... and if it´s only online features, release the game and release a patch for the online features once it´s sorted, jesus...

Nov 28, 2007
Why is everyone saying this is a year's delay? The game was planned for September, and has been pushed to Q1 2016, which is from March to May, IIRC. That would be, at most, an 8 month delay. Not small, but a fair bit less than a year's delay.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
thebobmaster said:
Why is everyone saying this is a year's delay? The game was planned for September, and has been pushed to Q1 2016, which is from March to May, IIRC. That would be, at most, an 8 month delay. Not small, but a fair bit less than a year's delay.
This is actually the second delay since it was initially meant to come out in April of this year.

Nov 28, 2007
Semi-DemiFiend said:
thebobmaster said:
This is actually the second delay since it was initially meant to come out in April of this year.
Ah, so it's a total of a year's delay. Thanks.