Mighty No. 9 Heroine's Design Revealed from Community Vote

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Mighty No. 9 Heroine's Design Revealed from Community Vote

The Mighty No. 9 heroine, Call, was selected to be "Call F" from the Kickstarter backer vote.

Comcept USA has revealed the final design for Call, the heroine of Mighty No. 9. Before Kickstarter backers chose the final design, "Call F," various illustrators came up with nine designs [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/611851] and put them to a vote.

Inti Creates' Yuuji Natsume created Call F, the winning design which received 43.39% of the votes. Call is a more of a pure robot because she was not given the human characteristics main character Beck has. She has green robotic eyes, a predominately red outfit with jacket, top, and skirt, headphones, and she's a redhead.

Call E, a pilot-esque robot, was a very close second with 41.14% of the vote. Call H, pigtailed robot with a scarf and dress, was much less popular with only 15.47% of the vote.

Mighty No. 9 is the spiritual successor to Capcom's Mega Man series. Director Keiji Inafune launched the Kickstarter campaign at PAX Prime, and $4 million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127371-Update-Mega-Man-Creator-Kickstarts-Mighty-No-9] when factoring in Paypal donations. It also reached each of its stretch goals. The game will be available for PC, Mac, Linux, Vita, 3DS, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U. The estimated release date is April 2015.

The Mighty No. 9 team teased an announcement for New Year's. As to what it is, who knows? But we won't have to wait very long to find out.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/706604]

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I had heard about this, I'm kind of disappointed actually, I preferred both both Calls H and E over Call F. I'm pretty sure I voted for Call E in the final vote. I think I might have voted for E in the original cote as well, if I recall.

Still, it's not the worst thing that could happen, Call F wasn't my least favorite design. I'm sure I'll get used to this design.

I suppose it makes sense Call F would be the one to win, she was the first design for Call revealed, and she's had the most publicity.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I still wished my original vote C made it the at least the finals, but of all the choices I'm glad my second pick won this round.

The others just don't really match the No. 9 Universe. To be honest, C was the only really original idea out there, and was the only design in concept that actually featured really unique combat ideas that make her hold her own in a tough fight. All the other ideas were just sterotypical anime girl sidekicks types. This one was the least dumb since I don't want psuedo loli flight attendants robots.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
I didn't vote in this, but I think I prefer Call A from the rest. This version of Call looks a little too much like Roll in my opinion. Call A looks nice and just seems a lot more visually distinct in my opinion.

If that's what the majority wants, I won't kick a fuss over it.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
The only thing telling me this is supposed to be a robot is you calling it a robot.
If their intent with this design was to communicate "robot", they failed.

Seriously, why would you even put a miniskirt on a "female" battle robot?
Fabric does not go on that.
A and C solved that much better by making that armor plates as part of the legs.
And what is with that weird fixation on earmuffs anyway?

Edit:
So the male main character basically consists of plate armor and wears a helmet and the female one is generic animu girl in a miniskirt.
Ok...

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
loa said:
The only thing telling me this is supposed to be a robot is you calling it a robot.

Because fans wanted to vote for cute anime robot girl instead of something that could actually competitively equal against Beck.

Take a look at the designs that didn't even make it to the finals and you'll see.

Top 3 were basically two versions of flight attendent robots, and the third one (the winner) looked a bit closer to the universe. All the unique ones didn't even make it to semi-finals.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
loa said:
...because...anime. While it's kind of weird to put skirts on robots, I'm actually more confused about why a robot would need headphones or why would you make a battle robot to look like a little girl in the first place.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Well she's cute. I haven't even looked at the others but I'm pretty happy with this result.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Dragonbums said:
Because fans wanted to vote for cute anime robot girl instead of something that could actually competitively equal against Beck.

Take a look at the designs that didn't even make it to the finals and you'll see.

Top 3 were basically two versions of flight attendent robots, and the third one (the winner) looked a bit closer to the universe. All the unique ones didn't even make it to semi-finals.
Seems like putting it up for vote was a grave mistake then.
Seriously, H is among the top 3? Urgh...

I wish they'd at least make her red or orange or anything other than pink.
But i guess they really needed to perpetuate gendered colors on top of having kind of a bland design.
Meh.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well that just looks typical as all hell.

You'd think they'd take the concept of a female robot to come up with something imaginative.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Great, they picked the most boring one possible because it looks like roll. I'm not surprised. People gravitate towards the familiar, for better or worse.

Casual Shinji said:

You'd think they'd take the concept of a female robot to come up with something imaginative.
They had several concepts that were cool and imaginative. It's kind of a bummer they didnt get the votes to win.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
I liked the crazy eyes of C, and she got those extra legs on her legs. It look like she can transform into a unicorn maybe. Oh well.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
loa said:

Fabric does not go on that.
A and C solved that much better by making that armor plates as part of the legs.
And what is with that weird fixation on earmuffs anyway?

Edit:
So the male main character basically consists of plate armor and wears a helmet and the female one is generic animu girl in a miniskirt.
Ok...
Well I suppose they could have given it huge heaving jiggly breasts, a giant jiggly ass, and a robo-thong so you could tell it's female. But honestly why would anyone try to delineate a battle bot's gender in the first place? Oh right because it's fictional and exists solely for the entertainment of the people playing the game. And I'm guessing a majority of people asked happened to like the miniskirt design. Big whoop.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Well It WAS the best choice given the art style. Others just seemed like random NPC'S or from another game altogether. It doesn't hurt that she is basically a mixture of Zero and Roll. Yeah she may lack the fancy accesories of her rivals but I always preferred the simple design maybe becuase I am a boring a..hole but she just felt right. I don't even know why they did the competition honestly. But I guess we could always have more sexism debates.

She better come with a dog-bike for all this trouble. Bitches love dog-bikes. (As in female dogs just to side step any misunderstanding.)

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
...you all can bash it, but Call F is still my favorite out of the entire bunch. The panels that wiggle based on the emotional state of the bot is just adorable. Also, they are robots: Calls hair could probably block bullets as well as any helmet would and her clothing definitely wouldn't get in the way of mobility.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
bafrali said:
It doesn't hurt that she is basically a mixture of Zero and Roll.
Lol, it's more like Ciel than Zero to begin with... >_>
I think that's the reason that Call F won, it's because it's familiarity with an already existing character, which is Ciel

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Guitarmasterx7 said:
Casual Shinji said:

They had several concepts that were cool and imaginative. It's kind of a bummer they didnt get the votes to win.
Yeah, I checked a few of them out. That first one with the giant cylinders for pigtails looked pretty cool.

The one thet went with just looks like Blossom from that Power Puff Girls anime.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Kaimax said:
bafrali said:
It doesn't hurt that she is basically a mixture of Zero and Roll.
Lol, it's more like Ciel than Zero to begin with... >_>
I think that's the reason that Call F won, it's because it's familiarity with an already existing character, which is Ciel
Well I meant in a playable support character way not to mention the pony-tail. Also Ciel? I could understand Roll But Ciel? I don't think Megaman Zero series is that well known or appreciated by the classic fans (which is a shame BTW)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That wasn't my first choice but yet again that design isn't my least favourtie so I guess I'm ok with it other than the colour scheme (look too much like Roll)

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
All of you who voted for F, feel shame. All of you who voted for H: NEVER VOTE 3RD PARTY, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

Fellow Es, strong tears all around.