Mighty No. 9 Heroine's Design Revealed from Community Vote

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
bafrali said:
Also Ciel? I could understand Roll But Ciel? I don't think Megaman Zero series is that well known or appreciated by the classic fans (which is a shame BTW)
But we can't deny that those who voted does not only consist of the classics, but also younger aged people that plays the newer series.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
loa said:
The only thing telling me this is supposed to be a robot is you calling it a robot.
If their intent with this design was to communicate "robot", they failed.

Seriously, why would you even put a miniskirt on a "female" battle robot?
Fabric does not go on that.
A and C solved that much better by making that armor plates as part of the legs.
And what is with that weird fixation on earmuffs anyway?

Edit:
So the male main character basically consists of plate armor and wears a helmet and the female one is generic animu girl in a miniskirt.
Ok...
Call isn't actually meant to be a battle bot and is meant to have supporting role for the majority of the game. The mini skirt is there to cover up the joints so she doesn't look like she's running around with nothing on. These two are meant to be more human than the rest so that's why they look more human than robot. And the headphones serve as an auditory system since they don't have ears.
I was really hoping call B,C or E would win. Out of all the designs B and E looked like they were the most practical with B being able to project little holographic screens from her head and E looking like a switchboard operator.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
cursedseishi said:
Besides the coop option, she's not going to be in the game to fight. And even then, we don't know what they are planning for her abilities, so it's ridiculous to even try and argue what she should or shouldn't be like because she doesn't fit the stereotypical look of a "battle bot".
She's called the "heroine" and you can control her so she's obviously something like zero.
She will jump and shoot lemons, why else even call her the "heroine"?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Hoh boy... Miss male character much? XD

Okay but seriously people... this is a cutsy anime game not bloody dragon age or Mass effect. Ofcourse the female char was gonna look like that. ALL female chars that stem from that particular corner of the world kinda sorta look like that. (with varying hair designs and body heights mind you.. and i guess bra size most often too)

Thats anime and japanese tastes for ya... also dont even start to pretend that these votes mostly came from the US... the japanese gamers have been waiting for a new megaman (or rather rockman) just as long as everyone else.

Thought im honestly surprised that the maid didnt made it or the nerdy hacker type one. Guess they where not action like enough.

Anyways its gonna be a mega man game.. i highly doubt that any of the two characters will actually HAVE a character worth mentioning.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
I really hope the other calls appear in game in some way even if they can't be Interacted with. They should be calls sisters or something like that. Maybe the lead doctor could've been in the process of building them before the virus struck and had to leave them unfinished till this is all over. At the very least these should be alternate costumes for Call.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
loa said:
Well most of the time the term "hero" is used for the main characters in stories when the more proper term would be protagonist. When they called her heroine, they probably thought of her significance to the story much more than the any act of heroism that will take part in the game

Just a guess though.

Weaver said:
And how did you come to that conclusion? If we were going by the stereotypes, one would expect the maid-bot to win by a landslide. Can you also guess the Western favourite then?

Honestly I doubt the choice between cute little girl robot A from cute little girl robot B leaves much room for interpretation of international demoghraphic. But who cares? Stereotyping is fun.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I feel like the Japanese voting audience had a lot of sway in this.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
So, it's roll then? Because this design looks so Roll-y that the only way it could be more Roll is if it was an actual Megaman game with actual Roll. Is there going to be a Bass and Protoman analogue too?

I'm not bashing this or anything though, If we're going to have Inafune making a "Megaman" game, might as well make it as megamanny as possible

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Never heard of this kickstarter before today.

Design C was much better, but never mind.

So this is basically a Rockman knockoff?

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Candidus said:
So this is basically a Rockman knockoff?
Basically Yes. If Keiji Inafune "can't make" a new Megaman because of Capcom, Cloning it is the best next thing. And besides that Capcom has been ruining the franchise for too long.

Nokturos

Nov 17, 2009
That's some mighty fine whiny feminist bait if I ever saw any. I'm sure the one who shall not be mentioned is gonna latch onto this and make a poorly conceived rant video.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Eh, I have no complaints. I was rooting for E at first because I liked how her concept art showed her both before she had emotions and after. Then F's new art showed the same thing, this time with the notion that she starts out without that ribbon in her hair and gets it later when she gains emotions. Plus Call F looks a lot more adventurous which seems like a good fit for her role as a playable character. Call E nailed the "helper robot" look but didn't really look like someone you would see in a battle.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
GeneralFungi said:
I didn't vote in this, but I think I prefer Call A from the rest. This version of Call looks a little too much like Roll in my opinion. Call A looks nice and just seems a lot more visually distinct in my opinion.

If that's what the majority wants, I won't kick a fuss over it.
That's the problem, no one likes different. It's why when some games are made it takes a while to get popular because of the changes made.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Nokturos said:
That's some mighty fine whiny feminist bait if I ever saw any. I'm sure the one who shall not be mentioned is gonna latch onto this and make a poorly conceived rant video.
Welp, glad we almost went a full page before someone tried to start an argument about feminism where no one else had thought of one.

OT: Regardless, I am not a fan of this design. Granted, I am not a fan of the style of this game altogether, but this is one of the worst of the choices they presented. The eyes are the only things that seem robotic to me, and the rest just seems like extremely generic, forced cuteness.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Kinda looks like a cross between Roll and Blossom from the Japanese Power Puff Girls show (I don't recommend looking it up, it will ruin the characters for you forever it's so terrible).

P.S. Miniskirts are standard issue for little girl characters in Japanese anime. Who knows why?

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Eh. Apart from the lack of glasses, I reckon Call F was my favourite anyway. I could go back and see which one I actually voted for in the previous Escapist thread, but... eh.