Mighty No. 9 Release Delayed Yet Again

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Mighty No. 9 Release Delayed Yet Again

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1260/1260906.pngNetwork code takes the fall for further delay of heavily crowdfunded platformer.

The long road toward the release of Mighty No. 9, the highly-anticipated first release from Comcept studio, has produced another bump. According to a post from founder Keiji Inafune, the game will not be finished in time for its February 9th release date.

In the post, Inafune explained that the delay is necessary to resolve problems with the game's network code, specifically with matchmaking. These issues have been exacerbated by the number of platforms the game is in development for and the developer's choice of engine, Unreal Engine 3, which is no longer receiving updates.

No solid release date has been announced, with Inafune stating that the team wants to, "wait and make sure that everything is confirmed to be ready," before making that commitment again. It is currently expected to arrive Spring 2016.

[gallery=5506]

This is the third such delay for Mighty No. 9, a spiritual successor to the Mega Man series Inafune is best associated with, funded through Kickstarter in 2013 to the tune of $3.8 million. The game was originally set to release in April of 2015.

Source: Comcept [http://www.mightyno9.com/en/20150125]

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I really, really don't care about online. I don't play Megaman to play online. God damn it Kaiji. I don't even think people would be sad if you just dropped it completely. Just give us the damn game.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
Ah, Comcept. Proving yet again that big name, big budget Kickstarter campaigns are the devil. I feel for whoever backed or pre-ordered this game, I eagerly await the day Keiji finally reveals that the whole thing was a pyramid scheme and that the only thing they'll get for their money is a t-shirt of the infamous MN9 Community Manager.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
At this point I'm not even disappointed anymore. I cancelled my backing a long while ago so all I can do now is laugh at how mismanaged this shitshow is proving to be.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
MC1980 said:
The number of people interested in multiplayer for this game are in the 3 digits at most. Just release it and add the online stuff in a patch.
I doubt online is the problem. It's probably the one excuse they can turn to without having to admit that the game still isn't finished.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Oh wait, people are still interested in this game?

Huh, starting to feel like Stockholm

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
PsychicTaco115 said:
Oh wait, people are still interested in this game?

Huh, starting to feel like Stockholm
I only wish I'd tried to get a refund early on/etc...at this point I'm just taking whatever glib amusement I can from the train wreck.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Lol. It's awesome how now the problem is apparently the 3D engine, when the major selling point behind this game was it's 2D sprite graphics.

I guess we now know for sure that it's not Capcom's fault that there aren't that many modern MegaMan games these days.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Wait didn't they just do a kickstarter for another game with the argument that Mighty No. 9 is basically finished anyway?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
And this is why Inafune was never left in charge of anything at CAPCOM. Criminy, Igarashi's Bloodstained will be out before this game.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh right, this is still a thing. Or at least it would be if it wasn't delayed.

So I guess its still an empty promise...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hehe! Is the kickstarter still open for funding? Just curious. Why unreal 3? Why online? These decisions make absolutely no sense. If this gets released it will be my first megam...err...m-related game experience. No pressure.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Silentpony said:

We must try to be patient...while my first reaction to this news was nearly screaming "F*(k!", I want to be patient. If he needs more to finish, then fine. But let's hope he uses that time wisely.

Ritchian

Wait, what?
Jul 29, 2009
I kinda hate that every time news comes out on this game, it makes me feel even better about not backing it. I really feel bad for those who did. I'm sure I'll probably buy the game eventually, but the way the development has been handled has failed to impress thus far. And damn it, I'm really jonesing for a new Mega Man (or Mega Man-like) game.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Shovel Knight was Kickstarted in early 2013 and came out a year later. This just had to be different.
Ritchian said:
I kinda hate that every time news comes out on this game, it makes me feel even better about not backing it. I really feel bad for those who did.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
ArcaneGamer said:
Silentpony said:

We must try to be patient...while my first reaction to this news was nearly screaming "F*(k!", I want to be patient. If he needs more to finish, then fine. But let's hope he uses that time wisely.
I think after 3 years and 3 delays "trying" to be patient is a bit disingenuous.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Huh, I wondered what happened to this game. I kind of thought it'd been released already, but I haven't kept close tabs on it since that community manager snafu back during gamergate.

I would have liked to play this game, but it sounds like they just keep running into issues because they've spent too long working on it.

Also, why the hell is there multiplayer in a megaman(-ish) game? Seriously, why the hell is there multiplayer?!

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
wait... another one? SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOCKING!

I feel really bad for anyone still waiting for this.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Well, to be fair the game is bigger than Shovel Knight, but right now it's been so long that I want to switch the system I'm getting the game on, as I originally backed for a Vita version. RIP Vita, you will join the Sega Nomad and Sega Gamegear in Handheld console heaven.