Mighty Number 9's final boss

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Warning now, the end of the game is spoiled in this video.

I think the best comment I read was "I didn't even pledge and I want my money back."

That is god awful for a $4 million heavily delayed project. The fight looks tedious, the graphics are mediocre, the animation is actually nonexistent, the voice acting is terrible. The one piece of information I want out of this is how much Inafune was involved with the results, because there needs to be some serious house cleaning over at Comcept.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Oh hey, I didn't know Danny Sexbang was Beck's creator.

He's even got the correct semi-gangly body proportions.​

I'm awful at these types of games, but even I can tell that final boss was too easy. They're relying way too much on long periods of invincibility and whittling down huge health bars to pad it out instead of making it an acid test of all the moves and abilities the player has learned and unlocked over the course of the game.

Also, that final cutscene is awkward as hell. Even if we ignore the lack of animated mouths (seriously, how hard is it to make a simple mouth flap a la Star Fox 64? I don't think it would've broken the budget), Blackwell's final bit of dialogue is still head-scratching. To borrow a line from a Super Bunnyhop video, "...that's one weird-ass speech to be giving at the END of a game. You usually hear the requisite 'are you a douchebag or a cool dude?' at the BEGINNING..."

I realize Blackwell's supposed to be the Dr. Wily stand-in and his comments are meant as sequel bait, but a more straightforward evil monologue like "Yes, enjoy your victory...WHILE IT LASTS! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!" would have been more expedient.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Don't know about you, but some time ago when I learned Comcept had a hand in co-developing Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, a game that puts Metroid Other M and DMC: Devil May Cry to shame in how much it hates its franchise (oh yeah I went there), all of the alarms were raised. You see, the "anime fan on prom night" thing wasn't about people being offended, it was reopening old wounds of that game's awful sense of humor.

Many people started to step back on this project since the Dina fiasco happened (for those who don't remember, a feminist had entered the project through nepotism, with an agenda in mind, and she was quickly taken down by the fandom). Then the stretchgoals, Red Ash announced, all of that before the first delay. Wanna know what the worst part is? This was supposed to be the love letter to Megaman that would tell Capcom, how out of touch they are with anything that Keiji would make millions of the franchise Capcom mistreated for so many years (four cancelled games to be exact).

Does anyone want recommendations for a better action platformer? Try Azure Striker Gunvolt for 3DS and PC, it's not the best thing ever, but it does fill in the void.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait, isn't Trinity unmask look like one of the Call initial designs??

Fhqwhgod

Apr 7, 2015
Igor-Rowan said:
Does anyone want recommendations for a better action platformer? Try Azure Striker Gunvolt for 3DS
Amazing game on 3DS. I heard nothing but bad things about the PC port though.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The game looked awful from the beginning to me, but you're right. With that much money and time, a lot more could've been done. Honestly though, I wasn't expecting more than this. I even find the character models annoying to look at.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, I guess my hopes for a fast paced sidescroller action game are dashed then. Here's a video of megaman x4 for comparison:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Poor Trinity. If only she'd evolved into Haunter.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...huh, so it's like fighting one of those Cactus monsters from Super Mario? Knock out the little parts for the big parts? That works.

Anyway, I didn't get into Mighty No.9 for a... number of reasons, largely because it was trying way too hard to be a Megaman clone (I didn't follow the development either, so it's not actually made by anyone who worked on Megaman, right? I've had that happen to me before) just with... a lot less of the finesse the actual megaman games have. All the demos and trailers I saw just made it look way too clunky, like none of it really flowed together. That being the final boss fight... yeah, glad I didn't get invested in it. I like my boss fights to be meaty and challenging, not... 'jump out of the way as it glides back and forth across the arena'.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
Wow, I feel legitimately bad for anyone who backed or bought this. It's really, really terrible, especially for a game that supposedly wants to live up to the legacy of Mega Man. That was the most sluggish final boss I've ever seen that didn't have anything to account for said sluggishness.

I don't care what anybody says, this is a product of pure incompetence on Comcept's part. Too many stretch goals be damned, it still would've turned out like this even if they weren't stupid enough to make a pile of promises to go alongside the game. The game feels more like it's still in alpha than ready for release, and Mr. Inafune has the gall to talk sequels. He really is a con man.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Hawki said:
Poor Trinity. If only she'd evolved into Haunter.
God damn it, beat me to it.

Anyway... fuck. Still watching it now, and it just keeps on getting more and more pathetic. Is the entire game like this?

EDIT: Well, finished it. If I had funded this, I'd be pissed. Seems like instead of reviving the Megaman series, they've created the most shallow, lifeless forgery imaginable. If I didn't know better, I would have assumed this was a straight up plagiarism, and a bad one at that.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Wrex Brogan said:
...huh, so it's like fighting one of those Cactus monsters from Super Mario? Knock out the little parts for the big parts? That works.

Anyway, I didn't get into Mighty No.9 for a... number of reasons, largely because it was trying way too hard to be a Megaman clone (I didn't follow the development either, so it's not actually made by anyone who worked on Megaman, right? I've had that happen to me before) just with... a lot less of the finesse the actual megaman games have. All the demos and trailers I saw just made it look way too clunky, like none of it really flowed together. That being the final boss fight... yeah, glad I didn't get invested in it. I like my boss fights to be meaty and challenging, not... 'jump out of the way as it glides back and forth across the arena'.
It was made by Keiji Inafune, who worked with MM since day 1. But it's seemed he's been out of touch for years.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
RaikuFA said:
Wrex Brogan said:

It was made by Keiji Inafune, who worked with MM since day 1. But it's seemed he's been out of touch for years.
...wow. That's... depressing. One of the OG guys from MM (the graphics designer, but still) and it's... just a sub-par clone. Talk about fucking things up.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Wrex Brogan said:
RaikuFA said:
Wrex Brogan said:

...wow. That's... depressing. One of the OG guys from MM (the graphics designer, but still) and it's... just a sub-par clone. Talk about fucking things up.
Big time. It's depressing it became this. The background of this project makes it even worse.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Fhqwhgod said:
Igor-Rowan said:
Does anyone want recommendations for a better action platformer? Try Azure Striker Gunvolt for 3DS
Amazing game on 3DS. I heard nothing but bad things about the PC port though.
That's because the PC port was just that. A (very poorly handled) port of the 3DS title.

The real kicker? IGN did up their review. It got a 5.6 with the only positive thing mentioned in the final blurb was the dash mechanic. The same mechanic which was criticized in the review as part of making the game far too easy.(For anyone who has played the playstation X series and recalls either the ultimate armor's unlimited falcon strike or X5's falcon armor flight it's comparable)

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
RaikuFA said:
What this tells me is that just because someone made a popular series doesn't mean they're competent to head a dev company. Its not always true, but Inafune always struck me as a guy who was way to arrogant inverse to his talent.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ah yes, the Japanese boss fight. Goes on forever and you have to be perfect every step of the way.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
RaikuFA said:
What this tells me is that just because someone made a popular series doesn't mean they're competent to head a dev company. Its not always true, but Inafune always struck me as a guy who was way to arrogant inverse to his talent.
I kinda got that shortly after MN9 was funded (I was one of the suckered oh well hope I enjoy it.) That I got that feeling from him.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Someone actually finished this game? The gameplay vids I saw actually made the ads look *less* annoying.